Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite commentator

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
We've had a lot of Motty bashing on here over the last few days but who do we actually like?

My fav is Andy Gray

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Fragmented Badger said:
Anyone on SKY - I know people moan at having to pay for it, and their dominance of football, but watching games on ITV and BBC makes me appreciate just how good their coverage is.

I cant disagree with that, Andy Greys commentry and analysis is better than anything on the BBC or ITV by a country mile..

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
John Motson
Tony Gubba
Simon Brotherton (another ex-Longhill like me, good commentator too)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
John Motson
Tony Gubba
Simon Brotherton (another ex-Longhill like me, good commentator too)

John Motson?

Are you taking the piss?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
John Motson?

Are you taking the piss?
Absolutely not, seriously.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
David Coleman

Barry Davis

Gerald Sinstad

Dickie Davis

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Titanic said:
I think he must be :nono:

Next he'll be saying he likes Alan Green.
No, he's an arrogant tosser.

I HATE commentators who decide they must interpret the game for you and TELL you what to think. A modest approach and a sense to inform the viewer about something you might not have known or noticed yourself is all I want.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I never know their names but that twat on ITV drives me f***ing mental. Always saying shit like 'this battle of the giants' ' he plays with the heart of a lion'. Pisses me right off.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Man of Harveys said:
No, he's an arrogant tosser.

I HATE commentators who decide they must interpret the game for you and TELL you what to think. A modest approach and a sense to inform the viewer about something you might not have known or noticed yourself is all I want.

Motson tells me stuff I don't know, the only problem is I didn't want to know it.

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
Without doubt Barry Davies.

He is the master professional, commentating on almost every sport known to man. From figure skating, through athletics, gymnastics, badminton and staring, Davies can call any game with ease, poise and without resorting to Motty-esque triviality.

The great commentators through time have always come up with a classic line. Wolstenhome, is obviously the most famous and Motty is notable for never once having uttered anything worthy of chiseling into stone. Davies is responsible for many great lines, none of which I can remember except the immortal and classic, "look at his face, just look at his face".

You just can't write that kind of stuff.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
niknokseagull said:
Without doubt Barry Davies.

He is the master professional, commentating on almost every sport known to man. From figure skating, through athletics, gymnastics, badminton and staring, Davies can call any game with ease, poise and without resorting to Motty-esque triviality.

The great commentators through time have always come up with a classic line. Wolstenhome, is obviously the most famous and Motty is notable for never once having uttered anything worthy of chiseling into stone. Davies is responsible for many great lines, none of which I can remember except the immortal and classic, "look at his face, just look at his face".

I agree. Davies is the DON of commentating at the moment. Dont forget Tennis as well.

He should be the no1 not that twat Motty. I remember last Euro Champs and Italy were playing and due to go out unless they scored 2 goals in like 20 mins. Barry Davies was like this "and still the Italians are not attacking when WILL they learn"

Fabulous :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Ian Darke is pretty good and is now back on Skys football coverage. I like Peter Brackley, great voice understands the game and involves his co-commentator superbly. Barry Davies is pretty much flawless but not the most exciting. Pearce seems to have adapted to TV pretty well, probably the beebs best.

Motson and Tyldesley :censored:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Barry Davies WAS (thankfully, he's only interested in gymnastics and opening ceremonies these days because he flounced out and retired because MotD hired Jonathan Pearce) the undisputed master of "now then, this is what I, the great analyst, will tell you what to make of this game". Dreadful, I really could not stand the pompous nobber.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
niknokseagull said:
Davies is responsible for many great lines, none of which I can remember except the immortal and classic, "look at his face, just look at his face".

Perhaps his BEST line came in a commentary on the Olympic HOCKEY tournament a few years ago:

"One has to ask, 'where are the Germans?' Quite frankly, who cares"

Or something like that.

Brilliant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here