Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat Tax - Do you agree?

Do you agree with a 'Fat Tax'

• Yup - Punish the lardy types

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • No - Why should they pay to be jelly bellies?

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Dunno really - I want to be healthy but do enjoy the odd chicken nugget

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
From bbc.co.uk....

Plans for a tax on fatty foods such as cakes and biscuits are reportedly being drawn up by government advisers.
The Prime Minister's Strategy Unit is considering extending VAT on some food and having a national sports drive to fight obesity, according to the Times.

The newspaper claims a document urges a fatty food tax as a "signal to society" because the number of obese British people has risen sharply in 20 years.

A Downing Street spokesman said such plans had not been put to Tony Blair.

He said: "It is no secret that the government is looking at the problem of obesity.

FOODS TARGETED
Dairy products: fresh butter, cheddar cheese, full fat milk
Fast food: Cheeseburger, takeaway pizza, potato wedges
Sweets: Milk chocolate bar, Danish pastry, butter toffee popcorn

"But no proposals of this kind have been put to the prime minister."

The Times says the strategy unit's paper, titled Personal Responsibility and Changing Behaviour, points out that NHS spending on obesity-related disease has risen.

"The main drivers - poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle - are largely outside the direct influence of the NHS," it says.

It suggests a number of policies such as a national sports drive along the lines of the successful Active Australia strategy, and lifestyle lessons in schools.

Tax 'life-saving'

A new tax or the extension of VAT is proposed for some dairy products, fast food and sweets.

"This would be a signal to producers as well as consumers and serve more broadly as a signal to society that nutritional content in food is important," says the document.

Last year doctors at the British Medical Association (BMA) debated a proposal to impose the full 17.5% VAT rate on a wider range of high-fat foods such as biscuits, cakes and processed meals.

The 17.5% rate is already charged on some high-fat foods including fizzy drinks, crisps and take-away burgers.

The British Medical Journal recently claimed a 'fat tax' could help prevent 1,000 premature deaths from heart disease every year in the UK.

I agree with this 100%, if other harmful products are going to be taxed so highly then so should fatty foods. However, while watching GMTV this morning everyone's favourite Dr, Hilary Jones made the point that it may punish the poor who tend to fill up on fatty foods. I agreed for a couple of minutes then remembered that these are the people that sit on their arses all day before taking the kids daaaaan McDonalds to shut them up so i think tax the fuckers.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
:lolol: fat tax, whatever next, stupid tax? I'm gonna rebel if they bring in the fat tax and eat cheesecake all day, I'll never conform punk:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I think the idea is a good one in principle but they need to give the money they make out of the FAT tax back to us by subsidising healthy foods! Otherwise it's just another tax!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lammy said:
I think the idea is a good one in principle but they need to give the money they make out of the FAT tax back to us by subsidising healthy foods! Otherwise it's just another tax!

This is another argument against the tax, subsidinsing manufacturers of genuinely healthy products making them cheaper.
There are also arguments to try to get people to start cooking for themsleve instead of using processed foods that are high in fat content.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
the health warnings are there aren't they? A tax is surely just a way to earn off people who are "addicted" to crappy food.

They need to make healthy foods cheaper not cheap (bad) grub more expensive. tisch

oneboot

Aug 4, 2003
Burgess Hill
I have a serious gripe over massively overweight people. While in planes/trains/stadiums etc they take up other people’s space. They pay the same as every one else and take considerably more, they are selfish and greedy people and should be taxed to the rafters. Good work Blair and co.

Stupid tax may be a bit far but idiot tax should be a goer. Let’s see what happens to Jade Goodie million (big brother talent less idiot) :lolol:

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't know about agreeing with fat tax but I do sometimes agree with the Fat Tax Man - when I can understand him and he's not singing Bright Eyes or Tiffany.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Children need full fat milk whilst they are growing. In fact parents are told that they mustn't give any other milk to kids.

The Government would be far better encouraging people to take more exercise like insisting that kids did proper sports at schools and allowing proper sports facilities to be built (like Falmer)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:

The Government would be far better encouraging people to take more exercise like insisting that kids did proper sports at schools and allowing proper sports facilities to be built (like Falmer)

You mean instead of building on the playing fields? Are you mad:p

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Government can recommend what is healthy but they have no right to try to force me to eat good food instead of bad - it's a free country and it's my choice.

It's yet another way for an incompetent and high spending government to screw more money out of the public. I'm fed up of seeing my tax bill go up and seeing no improvement in ANYTHING !!!! F*ck the lot of them - they're out next year anyway ( hopefully ) !:angry:

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
This is a stupid idea. It reeks of nanny state.

What if us skinny folk want to eat some lardy snacks without paying a premium.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Westdene Seagull said:
The Government can recommend what is healthy but they have no right to try to force me to eat good food instead of bad - it's a free country and it's my choice.

It's yet another way for an incompetent and high spending government to screw more money out of the public. I'm fed up of seeing my tax bill go up and seeing no improvement in ANYTHING !!!! F*ck the lot of them - they're out next year anyway ( hopefully ) !:angry:

It's not making your tax bill go up though, it's just making something that is bad for you and costs the NHS money more expensive in an attempt to balance it out a bit.

Just like cigarettes, beer and petrol.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A little tax here, a little tax there, another tax over yonder, oh this isn't actually tax but it does involve you giving more money to the government. No you aren't going to see anything in return for it......

Wah-wah wah, wah wah wah. Wah wah.... (in a Peanuts style).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this government on acid?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
oneboot said:
I have a serious gripe over massively overweight people. While in planes/trains/stadiums etc they take up other people’s space. They pay the same as every one else and take considerably more, they are selfish and greedy people and should be taxed to the rafters. Good work Blair and co.

Stupid tax may be a bit far but idiot tax should be a goer. Let’s see what happens to Jade Goodie million (big brother talent less idiot) :lolol:
Well said oneboot!
Don't tax the food, tax the lazy fat bastards!
It's them that will need NHS operations to unclog everything anyway.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's not making your tax bill go up though, it's just making something that is bad for you and costs the NHS money more expensive in an attempt to balance it out a bit.

Just like cigarettes, beer and petrol.

It doesn't make my direct tax bill go up agreed but it does mean I end up paying yet more more tax to the Government all be it indirectly.

This arguement that it costs the NHS money is very misleading. We all ( well those of us that work ) pay NI to pay for the NHS. This means that regardless of our life style we're entitled to free ( ish ) treatment when required. If fat people need it because they are over weight so be it. Smokers need it because they smoke. Drivers need it when they are involved in a crash. Sports people need it when they get injured. Pedestrians need it if they trip on the pavement.

Should we tax all these pass times and activities because these people are a drian on the NHS .... of course not. The Government should look to encourage people to eat healthily not tax those that don't. If they actually stopped wasting billions a year on far too many Civil Servants, lazy benefit spongers and EU membership fees they might actually have enough money without taxing everything we enjoy.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
We should just line up all the fatties and chase them with sticks.

:lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You might not see it directly, but primary school educashun and the health service have been massively improved in the last 7 years.

I think the government should however bring out a Falmer Tax to fund the stadium

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

The British Medical Journal recently claimed a 'fat tax' could help prevent 1,000 premature deaths from heart disease every year in the UK.

But think how much the Government is saving by not having to pay out Old Age pensions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here