Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] FAO Hove & Portslade Constituents who's getting your vote?

Who’s gonna get your vote

• Greens (Sophie Broadbent)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Labour (Peter Kyle)

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Conservatives (Carline Deal)

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Lib Dems (Michael Wang)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Reform (Martin Hess)

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Independent (Tanushka Marah)

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Not Voting

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Similar to the Brighton Pavillion thread - whos' gonna get your vote in Hove & Portslade?

Personally I want the Tories out so have been planning to vote Labour, although if we didn't have FPTP I'd be voting Greens. In fact, I think I may still vote Green anyhow as I can't see this seat under threat from the Tories or Reform.

What about you?

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
The Con candidate seems to find it difficult in some way to swim at the King Alfred. I was surprised by that, so asked her what seemed to be the trouble. All she really needed to do was walk in, pay for a swim and then pop downstairs to change and then get in the pool. I didn't understand what the problem was, and she wasn't really able to explain what it was but was adamant that a lot of people have told her how hard it is. I still didn't understand it so asked which part was causing her a problem and she called me argumentative and rude. I might be those things, but I also manage to swim (occasionally) at the King Alfred but will find it very difficult to vote for Deal.

I will likely vote for Peter Kyle every time he stands for re-election.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The reform candidate is a Hess. Any relation?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
The reform candidate is a Hess. Any relation?
I had a little read of his Bio and it was interesting, I agree with a lot of what he said but then he has to toe the party line of "gender war" and "Wokerati". Just buzz words to energise their people. Otherwise, a reasonable piece. And a genuine local. I won't be voting Reform unless I suffer some kind of brain injury.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Con candidate seems to find it difficult in some way to swim at the King Alfred. I was surprised by that, so asked her what seemed to be the trouble. All she really needed to do was walk in, pay for a swim and then pop downstairs to change and then get in the pool. I didn't understand what the problem was, and she wasn't really able to explain what it was but was adamant that a lot of people have told her how hard it is. I still didn't understand it so asked which part was causing her a problem and she called me argumentative and rude. I might be those things, but I also manage to swim (occasionally) at the King Alfred but will find it very difficult to vote for Deal.

I will likely vote for Peter Kyle every time he stands for re-election.
She finds it difficult because she lives in Beckenham ! You'd think there were closer swimming pools.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Why gritted teeth Jack?
I just don’t agree with a lot of what he has to say. I don’t personally agree with him on Israel, but ultimately that isn’t what this election is fought on, or should be fought on, so that’s irrelevant to a certain extent. He’s one of the main backers of the Benfield Valley development which again I don’t agree with. I don’t agree with a lot of his politics, he’s further to the right of the party than me, but to not vote for him based on that is partisan. Ultimately he’s the labour MP, and I broadly agree with their policy so will vote for him, I don’t think we can have another 5 years of a Tory government. I am tempted by the Greens but for every good piece of policy they have another which is absolutely brain dead, and probably won’t win. The last election I voted in (PCC), I voted green. He’s a good constituency MP so I will give him that, but I think he’s probably going to rise up the party and government so I can see that changing, he’s far better than my old MP in Huddersfield who wasn’t worth the ink to tick the box on the ballot paper.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don’t personally agree with him on Israel,
Likewise and why I'm voting for Tanushka Marah - it won't make any difference to the result in Hove and Portslade but it makes my conscious clear.

Although this bit is wrong "He’s one of the main backers of the Benfield Valley development which again I don’t agree with." - he's against it ( or has stated so on the couple of times I've met him ), the Labour council are in bed with the Boon brothers though and are refusing to enforce rules - such as the Boon brothers needing to remove chalk dumps from the car park, restore footpaths the Boons have destroyed, replant elm trees they have cut down and rebuild an ancient flint wall they took down. Just to make this fair it's not just the Boon brothers, it is Benfield Investments which includes a very unpleasant character called Laxley Pennant who has threatened ex-councillors when they have objected to the building. Benfield Investments have signed a multi-million pound deal with the developer - Hollybrook Homes - to sell the lease they have on the land ( a cut goes to the council ) for the development of the land. This is despite a covenant on the land to prevent development. There is about to be a legal case sent to the government ( was to be Michael Gove ) but the election has delayed it. Peter Kyle should be challenged about what the Labour government will allow.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I just don’t agree with a lot of what he has to say. I don’t personally agree with him on Israel, but ultimately that isn’t what this election is fought on, or should be fought on, so that’s irrelevant to a certain extent. He’s one of the main backers of the Benfield Valley development which again I don’t agree with. I don’t agree with a lot of his politics, he’s further to the right of the party than me, but to not vote for him based on that is partisan. Ultimately he’s the labour MP, and I broadly agree with their policy so will vote for him, I don’t think we can have another 5 years of a Tory government. I am tempted by the Greens but for every good piece of policy they have another which is absolutely brain dead, and probably won’t win. The last election I voted in (PCC), I voted green. He’s a good constituency MP so I will give him that, but I think he’s probably going to rise up the party and government so I can see that changing, he’s far better than my old MP in Huddersfield who wasn’t worth the ink to tick the box on the ballot paper.
Thanks for a decent reply, personally i i were in your shoes reading all of that then i’d vote Green.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Likewise and why I'm voting for Tanushka Marah - it won't make any difference to the result in Hove and Portslade but it makes my conscious clear.

Although this bit is wrong "He’s one of the main backers of the Benfield Valley development which again I don’t agree with." - he's against it ( or has stated so on the couple of times I've met him ), the Labour council are in bed with the Boon brothers though and are refusing to enforce rules - such as the Boon brothers needing to remove chalk dumps from the car park, restore footpaths the Boons have destroyed, replant elm trees they have cut down and rebuild an ancient flint wall they took down. Just to make this fair it's not just the Boon brothers, it is Benfield Investments which includes a very unpleasant character called Laxley Pennant who has threatened ex-councillors when they have objected to the building. Benfield Investments have signed a multi-million pound deal with the developer - Hollybrook Homes - to sell the lease they have on the land ( a cut goes to the council ) for the development of the land. This is despite a covenant on the land to prevent development. There is about to be a legal case sent to the government ( was to be Michael Gove ) but the election has delayed it. Peter Kyle should be challenged about what the Labour government will allow.

Well I assume that is in keeping with your clear conscience policy from your last GE vote where you put us through 5 years of Johnson and this current cabal :wink:
And how do you know those people ( and it's an obvious jibe at my past voting record ) won't change ? In normal circumstances I'd vote for Peter Kyle but these aren't normal circumstances. Firstly I want Brexit completed - Kyle does not. Secondly the Tories have put up a decent candidate in Hove and Portslade. A candidate that is being investigated because he had the cheek to call out the council homeless figures as lies - which they clearly were. Kyle has jumped on that Labour council bandwagon despite knowing the figures were utterly false. And finally, last time, the Tories put up a bible bashing nut job - not so this time. Robert Nemeth has been a decent councillor and no doubt would make a decent MP. I know quite a number of people in Hove that last time voted Kyle and this time will vote Nemeth ….. I'm one of them.

Whatever happened to that wonderful local principled politician Nemeth ?

Maybe you should stand as an independent councillor on Brighton council. There is a very good chance I may well vote for you, particularly if Ivan and Timmy are standing against you :thumbsup:

And, for once, I'm serious :ohmy:

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Fair enough, no gripe on the benfield valley stuff Then.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Martin Hess will regularly be found at Brighton games. I’m surprised a few on here don’t know him already. Really nice guy actually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here