Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO, especially, Ambulant, Disabled or mobility-restricted supporters: PLEASE READ

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
As some of you already know, a group of fans representing the issues of the disabled AND ambulant community of support, held a meeting with the club a fortnight ago.

If you’re NOT affected, I would kindly ask that you refrain from adding to this thread if it’s just to compliment work to date (I;ll say thanks now on everyone’s behalf!) or add an opinion or question if you only interested but aren’t disabled or know anyone who is. I’d rather this thread is kept succinct to deal with the questions from those affected; or those asking on behalf of those affected (e.g. close family and friends). In other words, we really don’t want a binfest here because we’re trying to build a constructive relationship with our beloved club and despite what people might have read or even wish to believe there are 2 sides to arguments; and that’s the case here too. Anyway, them’s the ground rules, please respect them and here’s a summary of the club’s feedback from the meeting:

1. Ambulant Supporter Needs
We thought it important to stress the meeting didn’t just encompass disabled fans in wheelchairs, but all fans with mobility issues, temporary or otherwise.
To this end, the club have purchased 30 wheelchairs for (free) use on matchdays, which is an extremely forward-thinking and an excellent initiative: so if you need one when alighting from the train, bus or car park, ask a nearby steward and they will assist. I’d be interested to hear feedback from those affected as to how this is going; we can’t help change things if we’re blind to supporter experiences.
For wheelchair fans, of the 3 park and rides, the club suggests where possible that you use Mithras House simply because it’s less congested and more wheelchair “friendly” in boarding terms.
Lastly, the WSU was never sold as a place for ambulant supporters to sit because there’s no lift access. The club strongly advises any affected supporters to contact them and they’ll happily relocate.

2. Match day parking: location & availability
The numbers of disabled parking spaces that exist are: 47 Bennett’s field (e.g. immediately adjacent to the stadium), 9 of which belong to 1901 members and 0 of which have been allocated to away fans. There are also 30 at Sussex University. From the Donny game, it appeared only half were actually used (though we gave several potential reasons why this could be so). Anyway, we agreed it would be a good idea to monitor usage to get a clearer picture, not least because no one really knows what to expect until several Sat and evening games have taken place/

As for proximity issues regarding those parked in Sussex Uni, the club immediately recognised this issue and were already working with Lord B concerning this. I won’t add anything more because there’s already a thread on this, other than to say the club have generously funded the shuttle and Lord B, once again, should take a big bow for his work in this area.

Lastly, the club aims to get everyone away within an hour of the final whistle, a target greatly helped by lots of fans staying on after the game to enjoy the facilities (so keeping consuming those beers and pies post-match!). But suffice to say, the increased congestion we all experience in comparison to Withdean is the price to be paid for following a BIG club. And I’m happy paying that for one!

3. Match day parking: pricing
Arguably the most contentious issue and, regardless of what might and might not have been said or interpreted, the club is simply unable to offer free parking to disabled fans. That is the situation now.

Instead, two generous concessions have been made (e.g. reduction to £180 / instalment payments) and that, from everyone’s perspective at the meeting, is really the end of the matter other than to say the decision-making was influenced by the rents imposed by Sussex Uni for (all) parking and the none-materialisation of other parking options making what little parking there is even more premium.

4. Communication:
It’s easy to criticise the club on this front to date, and they’d be the first to say things could have been different with hindsight, but if we all stop for a second and realise just how big a leap the club have just taken and just how many thousands of queries have flooded into the club recently....

Anyway, with Bods support, we’ve asked that a mobility-affected supporters page be added to the main website, which we’ll help write and also for a separate email address to be set up to handle related queries; and a page in a future match day programme detailing ambulant/disabled help.

In terms of supporting these initiatives, we, the fans want to re-launch BODS (more on that later in the week hopefully) and help spread the word / act as a conduit through which issues can flow / be raised. Half of the battle is getting visibility of the affected fans; not all are on the database as such and BODS certainly don’t have contact info for all such supporters. Those of you who know Tina already, don’t need to be told that she’s done a cracking job to date and will continue to do so. But she’s doing this voluntarily, could do with some help (able-bodied fans can join BODS too you know - perhaps we should all realise that any one of us can become an “involuntary” member of BODS at anytime e.g. ill health or an accident) and lastly, she hasn’t got full visibility of who amongst our support is affected either (something I’ve begun to really appreciate given my recent experience helping out)

So do PM me or Tina to check we know who you are / we can add you to newsletters (we intend to do one) and other comms if something happens that may affect you. Lastly, if you are contacting the club directly, please send to one person rather than several and then do respect the final answer (from someone in authority like Richard Hebberd, Martin Perry, Ken Brown or Sally Townsend) and don’t keep escalating or trying other potential ways just because you don’t really like the answer. Otherwise it creates a lot of inefficiency as you’d expect.

5. Stadium seating locations
We ran out of time but it’s on the agenda for next time

6. AOB
Radar-key access to the loos is being looked into. Able-bodied fans, please, join the queues for the standard toilets and/or time your beer runs better! 
Stewards standing in the way: noted by the club who’ll ensure stewards are made aware / be more mindful.

Lastly, to reiterate, please PM me if you have any questions or want to be added to the mailing list. And respect the ground rules of this thread please! 

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hi Portlock

Sorry I have read the rules!! But MODS can you make this a sticky.

Ta

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well done Portlock. Visits with my partner who is ambulent disabled but will need a wheelchair because of distances, will be pretty rare but I would appreciate any updates.

A massive well done to all concerned in making the club listen and respond.

[Spam alert! ...]

Don't forget the minibus service from Car Park 5 at Sussex University to and from the Stadium. It's running tomorrow evening for the Sunderland game and will welcome wheelchair users, ambulant disabled fans and - if there is room - friends, family, pushers, and lazy sods who just want a lift.

And you won't be charged to travel.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
[Spam alert! ...]

Don't forget the minibus service from Car Park 5 at Sussex University to and from the Stadium. It's running tomorrow evening for the Sunderland game and will welcome wheelchair users, ambulant disabled fans and - if there is room - friends, family, pushers, and lazy sods who just want a lift.

And you won't be charged to travel.

Yes, please help spread the word. I can vouch for one of Lord B's company cars too!

PS Any chance of a sticky please MODS, please pretty please? Just for a few days. Because I always stick up for you guys. It's not true what people say on the concourses, on trains to matches. I never hesitate to jump in and correct all the untruths spread about you. Especially the one about your friendship with a west country liberal councillor and a former DIY chain mogul....

Thread stuck for a couple of days, as requested - but at the expense of unsticking the other thread.

For new readers, though, here are the details of the minibus service:-

It's a partial solution to the problems faced by disabled supporters who park at Sussex University and, thanks to funding from the Club, the plan is to run it at every game.

It's a wheelchair accessible minibus shuttle service for supporters with disabilities who need to get from the Sussex University car park to the stadium, pre-match, and back again, post-match. The minibus service will run from Car Park 5 (adjacent to the Sussex University Sportcentre and close to the Gardner Centre) to the Amex Coach Park (close to the lift).

It will be available from about two and a half hours before kick-off and, post-match, immediately after the game for about one and a half hours, or until everyone has been returned to their cars. The vehicles will be capable of carrying up to four wheelchair users at a time, together with their carers/pushers. It is available not only to wheelchair users, but also to people who simply have difficulties in walking from the University car park to the stadium.

The minibuses will depart from the Gardner Centre Road (immediately opposite the car park entrance) and will run as frequently as can be arranged. There is no charge for the transport to users of the service - just present yourself to the driver of the waiting minibus.

I hope that the service will be well used (but not to the point at which a big queue builds up). These are early days and I would ask people to be tolerant of any teething problems.

Car Park 5 has a number of disabled supporters with car park spaces allocated to them there. I guess that every disabled fan who is intending to use Car Park 5 has, until now, been expecting to have to make their own way across the A27 and the railway and up the slope to the stadium. The minibus shuttle service should make it an easier journey for at least some supporters.

SoggySeagull

May 16, 2011
I have experienced Bennetts Field car park with my disabled son and on both occasions it has taken me 1 hour to just get out of the car park. There are no stewards available around the car park they all seem to congregate at the entrance and therefore it is a free for all with many people ignoring the lanes and directional arrows thereby causing chaos. My son is severely handicapped and this wait is not the best for him but obviously will be worse in the winter. Can something be done about this chaotic car park i.e. organising the flow of traffic and maybe letting the cars out instead of holding them back while other car parks go first.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just a quick suggestion on this point. All of the disabled spaces are located at the bottom of the car park nearest the stadium which is correct. However the exit of the car park currently being used is at the top. Therefore assuming everyone leaves at roughly the same time disabled supporters will always be the last out. Bennetts Field has at least two exits, can the bottom exit be used as well?

I have experienced Bennetts Field car park with my disabled son and on both occasions it has taken me 1 hour to just get out of the car park. There are no stewards available around the car park they all seem to congregate at the entrance and therefore it is a free for all with many people ignoring the lanes and directional arrows thereby causing chaos. My son is severely handicapped and this wait is not the best for him but obviously will be worse in the winter. Can something be done about this chaotic car park i.e. organising the flow of traffic and maybe letting the cars out instead of holding them back while other car parks go first.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think this w/e is going to be a lot different. Lets see how the police control things. If still bad, we can try speaking to the club again. But they're aware as it's not just disabled fans caught up in this chaos.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just one point to make about above... I've found the Bennetts Field Car Park disabled spaces ALL taken for EVERY game except Donny... forced to park in standard space...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here