Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans United 3 - 17th March - Pompey

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I personally think that Pompey should fold and re-start like Wimbledon did. This might sound a bit crap but something like this needs to happen so that the authorities take notice and start to protect football clubs more. Pompey could quite easily re-start and work their way up the leagues again. I feel their size and history will enable them to weather such a storm. It would be akin to a huge relegation and it would not kill them.

I'd rather put my efforts into saving smaller clubs who, once folded, would probably simply die off.

I agree with this to an extent and also feel that the FA/FL could have taken the bull by the horns and taken sufficient points to ensure relegation. Portsmouth could then have sold off their high earners as they wouldn't have needed them to win Div 1 thus saving and making money to pay off their debts. I think that completely folding would be a little drastic but relegation and to then live within their means certainly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This, totally. The cheek of them to call it Fans Utd 3, too - it's Fans Utd 23, more like. Idiots.
The fact that this is true probably suggests that these Fans United games are achieving f*** all in the grand scheme of things. Sure, they show solidarity with fellow fans (and the reason that this one will fail is because no-one feels that way towards Portsmouth) but ultimately nothing ever changes. There really needs to be a different fan movement, with ire directed at the greedy bastards at the top of the pyramid and the incompetent twats at the FA who pay lip service to "fit and proper" and have never done anything to ensure the game is run sensibly at a moderate profit - which really ought not to be too difficult when you consider how wealthy the professional game is.

Fans United is so 1990s and 2000s if you ask me. Time to move on.

dibbydoo

DibbyDoo
Aug 1, 2011
Brighton
Fans United 3 has been set for 17th March at Portsmouth. We are away at Blackpool that day so if you're not going, please consider wearing your colours to Fratton Park instead.

We had so many fans making the trip to Plymouth, hope we can get as many to Portsmouth, if not more. Differences with and views on Portsmouth aside, this is a stand for football as a whole.

:facepalm:

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Well there was the Donny game at Preistfield, Chester City, Wimbledon at Selhurst, York City and of course just recently Plymouth, those are the ones I recall ( and wet to except Plymouth). So we are at least at number 7.

Maybe it's like Grand Theft Auto where only half the games get a number? :lolol:

(For anybody who doesn't get the joke - According to Wikipedia, GTA V, is the 15th game in the series)

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The fact that this is true probably suggests that these Fans United games are achieving f*** all in the grand scheme of things. Sure, they show solidarity with fellow fans (and the reason that this one will fail is because no-one feels that way towards Portsmouth) but ultimately nothing ever changes. There really needs to be a different fan movement, with ire directed at the greedy bastards at the top of the pyramid and the incompetent twats at the FA who pay lip service to "fit and proper" and have never done anything to ensure the game is run sensibly at a moderate profit - which really ought not to be too difficult when you consider how wealthy the professional game is.

Fans United is so 1990s and 2000s if you ask me. Time to move on.

It depends how you measure 'the grand scheme of things'. Fans United has always been about helping out clubs on the brink, and helping the fans of those clubs with their protests. It has never been about stopping it happening again to anyone else. I know how Fans United helped us, as fans. It was novel and got media interested in the cause. It showed that many fans of varying clubs supported our cause and understood what we were going through. It was another step on the way to saving the club. It has NEVER been the thing that saved a club, as it seems to be seen as these days. Where are the pitch invasions, boycotts, walk-outs, marches to the FA, rallies in the town centre, banners at games, letters in papers, etc?

I'm in full agreement about the continuing need for wholesale changes at the top, but I think the 2 can live together.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It depends how you measure 'the grand scheme of things'. Fans United has always been about helping out clubs on the brink, and helping the fans of those clubs with their protests. It has never been about stopping it happening again to anyone else. I know how Fans United helped us, as fans. It was novel and got media interested in the cause. It showed that many fans of varying clubs supported our cause and understood what we were going through. It was another step on the way to saving the club. It has NEVER been the thing that saved a club, as it seems to be seen as these days. Where are the pitch invasions, boycotts, walk-outs, marches to the FA, rallies in the town centre, banners at games, letters in papers, etc?

I'm in full agreement about the continuing need for wholesale changes at the top, but I think the 2 can live together.
I totally agree. It's a bit like the difference between spending money on tons of emergency grain, and spending the money instead on building wells and training for better farming methods. Both do good, but one is a long term view. However, if I can continue with that analogy, if westerners continue to be asked to dip into their pocketss with increasing regularity simply to keep providing grain to the same people, those donors are entitled to ask when it is going to stop, or at least, to ask how to deal with the problem in the first place.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I totally agree. It's a bit like the difference between spending money on tons of emergency grain, and spending the money instead on building wells and training for better farming methods. Both do good, but one is a long term view. However, if I can continue with that analogy, if westerners continue to be asked to dip into their pocketss with increasing regularity simply to keep providing grain to the same people, those donors are entitled to ask when it is going to stop, or at least, to ask how to deal with the problem in the first place.

Fair point you raving athiest. (Joke!!!!!) unpalatable but sad to face up to the fact that despite all the lobbying and demsontrations the FA and to a degree the football league still have no control or any inclination to assert control over the situation.

Sometimes you have to show in all its painful reality, exactly what will happen if you are unable to manage things in a sensible, viable manner. By preventing disaster over the years for so-called big clubs one could argue that we have never solved the problem - only delayed the inevitable and increased the impact of when that inevitable happens.

See you at church on Sunday Simster.

Jan 30, 2008
Fans United 3 has been set for 17th March at Portsmouth. We are away at Blackpool that day so if you're not going, please consider wearing your colours to Fratton Park instead.

We had so many fans making the trip to Plymouth, hope we can get as many to Portsmouth, if not more. Differences with and views on Portsmouth aside, this is a stand for football as a whole.
:wanker:

pumpingarrisboys

Mar 9, 2012
Thanks to the couple of Brighton fans who showed their support :clap2: - they're obviously reasonable folk - unlike a lot of the other dross on here

Thanks to the couple of Brighton fans who showed their support :clap2: - they're obviously reasonable folk - unlike a lot of the other dross on here

I'm sorry but who are you? You registered a week ago but couldn't be arsed to post before the match requesting support and explaining why we should and now you've decided to start posting and it's all snide comments.

Piss off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here