Votes: 57 43.5%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Today saw probably the first time the fans actually turned on the side away from home. Davies in particularly suffered alot of abuse, with 'What a waste of money' aimed in his direction after he missed an absolute sitter.

It was the first time that I've ever heard an Albion away crowd boo the team off the pitch. It was the first time I've ever heard 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' aimed at the team before aswell.

SO, is this acceptable? Are you a believer in the theory that the time and money that the supporters put in should be rewarded in some way by the effort shown by the players on the pitch? Or do you believe that we should be getting behind the players at all times?

I personally thought that despite some of the chants (in particular the ones aimed at Davies) were pretty harsh, the players need to be let know that the effort that they're putting in simply isn't good enough. It wasn't even down to being beaten by the better team today - alot of players simply didn't look like they gave a f***. Whing was the most passionate by far on the pitch, but it's been the same story for the last few games now. He was cheered everytime he touched the ball and people even sung 'Andy Whing's blue and white army'.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Singling out players for individual abuse is not on but I can understand the frustations at the team collectively.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Probably agree. It's been one horrible, dreadful yet expensive season. But I don't like picking on individual players, however poorly they're playing. Slag them off on here or in the pub afterwards, absolutely fine. But they're all we've got right now to try and keep us up. It looks hopeless, but knocking individual players when they're down and low on confidence won't achieve anything.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Players as a whole need to know it's not good enough but singling out one particular player who certainly isnt the biggest offender this season is wrong and tempers must be controlled (however difficult it was today!).

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
It was horrible to watch Davies get picked on today. Totally unjustified. There are five players who deserve that treatment more than him.

I rarely leave early but I did today - can someone describe events at the final whistle?

Boo's followed by the usual suck ups applauding the whole team then a big round of applause for whingy followed by a few boos as the whole team walked over.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Players need to be told. Davies missed a sitter, and it's not like that's the first one he has missed lately.

To be honest though, this really isn't a new thing - it's been the same complaint all season. Some kind of lethargy disease set in, or lack of attachment to the club, or....?
Looking back through this season, the Savage gamble did not pay off and I wonder if these kinds of cheap tricks have left the players feeling suspicious about everything that's said in the dressing rooms to gee them up?

Hats off to Whing though, he is proving to be a proper Albion legend - apparently impervious to any lax attitudes or lack of heart in those around him.
He and Michel ought to be made saints.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Passions were running high. Fans were turning on each other as well as the players. But it is only because we all care and we are in such a dire position.

If the team didn't come over people would complain that they don't recognise the support. But I was only applauding Whing, and I hope the team realise that today's attitude and performance was not good enough. It may not be their fault though. We're just a really bad side and many of our players just don't have the talent.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
But I was only applauding Whing

You weren't the only one. I appluading Whing when he was the first to come over, but when he walked away I left.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think both can work.

Every game should start with the fans thoroughly behind the team, start with a clean sheet, the errors and lack of effort of the previous game are in the past.

But if over the course of the game we get the same lack of quality, same lack of effort, the same simple school boy mistakes being made again and again, they should be told. Especially if the manager is too scared of losing the team to highlight their mistakes (a la Adams being too scared to yell at the team for fear of losing them).

I know there is the idea that by getting behind the team we can make a difference, so think the booing and attacking should be kept to the end of the half.

I also think fans shouldn't be blamed for causing players to shy away from responsibility by booing them. After Walsall, Matt Richards used the booing as inspiration for a phenomenal performance against Man City, Guy Butters used being put on ebay as the driving force in his journey to Albion legend. Shying away from responsibility is the cowardice of the player, not the fault of the fans who call th players on their mistakes.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I also think fans shouldn't be blamed for causing players to shy away from responsibility by booing them. After Walsall, Matt Richards used the booing as inspiration for a phenomenal performance against Man City, Guy Butters used being put on ebay as the driving force in his journey to Albion legend. Shying away from responsibility is the cowardice of the player, not the fault of the fans who call th players on their mistakes.

Good point.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
From today's Argus....

Davies wants to make up for their absence by combining with Owusu to get the goals needed to stay up, starting with today’s trip to MK Dons.................

He said:“This is where it is going to count. These next couple of games are really important for us and this is where me and Lloyd have got to stand up and be counted, the same as the rest of the players".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here