Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer pitch.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Not seen this discussed yet.

A decent pitch is going to be critical to the style of football Gus is developing. Quite often the pitches at new stadiums (Eg Wembely and Colchester) are pretty bad.

I was wondering if anyone has any insider knowledge of who is going to be responsible for the pitch at Falmer (and don't say the groundsman).

How much of Mr Bloom's hard earned cash going to be spent making sure the pitch is A1?

Is the pitch considered when choosing a site and positioning of the stands in a new stadium.

Will we have one of those fancy light systems like the Emirates?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Will we have one of those fancy light systems like the Emirates?

they cost a small fortune to buy let alone run, would be surprised to see BHA be able to afford them but I keep forgetting we have Bloom!
Personally I'm very interested in the construction of the pitch, having seen Emirates close up (yes I've stood on it and EVERYTHING!) I hope they do follow that way of construction.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Doesn't Swansea's new pitch have a synthetic thread every few centremeters, which helps bid the turf together?

I agree, if Poyet leads us out at Falmer, a good pitch is essential. The good news is that over the years at Withdean our groundsmen have turned it from a piece of grass akin to most school fields into one of the best pitches in the league.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Doesn't Swansea's new pitch have a synthetic thread every few centremeters, which helps bid the turf together?

I agree, if Poyet leads us out at Falmer, a good pitch is essential. The good news is that over the years at Withdean our groundsmen have turned it from a piece of grass akin to most school fields into one of the best pitches in the league.

Think most modern pitches are going that way! Wembley not included.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the synthetic binding "stuff" is truly amazing, instead of the traditional huge chunkcs of truf being ripped up (ala Wembley recently!) the grass & soil structure holds together 100x better, meaning players slide across the surface more and less grass/soil damage.

D

Deleted member 2719

Being a qualified Greenkeeper i will do the job for just £100,000 grand a year plus win bonus!!

Being that we live in probably the best growing area of the country,Hours of light/ warmer winter temps etc.
I am pretty sure combined with the latest technology we could have one of the best playing surfaces in the country.

:thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Being a qualified Greenkeeper i will do the job for just £100,000 grand a year plus win bonus!!

I'm currently doing my Diploma lvl-2 in Sports Turf Horticulture, will be qualified in June :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The playing surface structure will be 3m deep. The drainage will run at 2-3m, the subsoil is undersoil heating is next, then the growing layer is over half a metre thick. The grass will be grown in situe, this makes for a far stronger root system, which should prevent the pitch chopping up like we have seen at Wembley etc. At least that's what I heard.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Still waiting for the confirmation seemingly but from what they say.. I hope it'll be the Desso Grassmaster.. which most of the latest new stadiums seem to have.

Desso GrassMaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool in the Prem, and er, Swansea. Not the most rousing of credentials, 2 new stadiums out of what, 10 in the past 5 years in England. Still, it sounds like a good invention, not heard it mentioned for Falmer, but it woud make sense to do it, especially as the stadium will be used for concerts etc where the surface will need to be able to withstand more than just 25 odd games a football a year.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I was watching a programme on channel 5 the other week all about stadiums. With Falmer in mind it was really interesting, particularly about the pitch.

What matters is not just sunlight covering all the pitch, but also wind. A number of stadiums had a closed around roof, which may have let sunlight in, but the air movement at soil level was non existent. Grounds these days should allow for air to move at that level. If you look at the Emirates, you will see that the air can travel just underneath the roof and is probably directed to pitch level.......not for a howling gale, but just enough for air to travel around the grass shoots.

Just for info, there is a pitch in Germany that is on wheels. At certain times of the year it is moved underneath the stands and left outside for direct sunlight and air to get to it.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The original plan at the Emirates was to have the Glass behined the seats go all the way upto the roof, the head groundsman said "no we need air/wind" so the Glass only goes up half-way thus allowing suffiecient air movement and you can really feel it at pitch level and in the stands. Also the Roof was aligned so as to allow as much direct sunlight & light onto the pitch as possible, it slopes down towards the pitch in other words instead of slanting into the sky.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What colour will the white lines be?

Tell the local Council that their pitchs are naff!

Buckingham Park, Shoreham: the green bits are dandelion leaves.

Desso Grassmaster pays dividends at the McAlpine
Pitchcare: Magazine: Desso Grassmaster pays dividends at the McAlpine

What colour will the white lines be?
Grassline Excel Concentrate (10 ltr) - Spray Marker Paint - Pitchcare Shop

Need some goals?
Samba UPVC Match Goals: Samba Football Goals (UPVC various sizes): Football Goals : Football: Sports Equipment: Products - Pitchcare Shop

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The original plan at the Emirates was to have the Glass behined the seats go all the way upto the roof, the head groundsman said "no we need air/wind" so the Glass only goes up half-way thus allowing suffiecient air movement and you can really feel it at pitch level and in the stands.

Tell me about it.
I was cuffing FREEZING in that stadium when I went there last February. It was outrageous.

As for the Falmer pitch. I'll be interested to see how soon its in place and growing in relation to when the rest of the stadium is still being comlpeted. Presumably once the major structure in is place and they're just tarting up the interior, they can start laying the pitch then.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool in the Prem, and er, Swansea. Not the most rousing of credentials, 2 new stadiums out of what, 10 in the past 5 years in England.
Erm, no. MK Dons, Doncaster and Cardiff - three other very recent builds that have it. Which other significant stadiums have been built in the last 5 years? Also Hudders & Norwich from our league, and Villa, Tottenham, West Ham & Man City from the PL.

Last edited:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Aside from the quality of the pitch, the Argus today reports that it is going to be the same size as Wembley! Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but Wembley's pitch seems MASSIVE. I hope we have some speedy wingers (LuaLua) to take advantage of this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here