Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer: Is the pitch levelled with lasers?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Reason I ask, I remember many years ago going to a game at Steadham FC and the now Abramovich residence which used to be Packers had Polo pitches that had been levelled by laser. Just wondered if that technology is used on footy pitches and whether it was adopted at Falmer?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
0,,10433~9446619,00.gif

Looks like a laser lever to me :thumbsup:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The centre of the pitch will be higher than the edges, perhaps they use lasers for measuring that.

:amex::ascarf:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think that's a speed trap to stop diggers exceeding health and safety speed limits.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
They Laser Levelled Lords outfield aswell, technology these days eh!?

Why not level with lasers?
It's simple and most effective.
Theodolites and Cowley Levels were long used on building sites, but lasers are now commonly applied for levelling and getting straight lines.

Why technology has NOT been put into use to track the actual football, is beyond me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why not level with lasers?
It's simple and most effective.
Theodolites and Cowley Levels were long used on building sites, but lasers are now commonly applied for levelling and getting straight lines.

Why technology has NOT been put into use to track the actual football, is beyond me.

Definitely. That particular level fires out a horizontal plane across the entire space, all Mr Builder has to do is place his/her staff on the ground until it beeps, when it does it's level.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
That particular level fires out a horizontal plane across the entire space, all Mr Builder has to do is place his/her staff on the ground until it beeps, when it does it's level.

the machine they level the pitch with would of been a laser guided dozer so all the driver of the machine would have to do really is steer

the levelling side of things would be done automatically by the laser system the dozer would be equipped with meaning the blade would set its self to the the height the laser level is set to

these types of lasers will also let you set it to work on cambers not just flat surfaces

the machine they level the pitch with would of been a laser guided dozer so all the driver of the machine would have to do really is steer

the levelling side of things would be done automatically by the laser system the dozer would be equipped with meaning the blade would set its self to the the height the laser level is set to

these types of lasers will also let you set it to work on cambers not just flat surfaces

Thanks for an interesting 1st post Fred
I haven't come across the use on making cambers though. It must get complicated when making a road with several bends that is cambered.
One problem with Sunset Boulevard going from Brentwood to Hollywood in Los Angeles, is that the cambers are wrong from a gravity dynamics point of view for drivers.
Riding a motorcycle through there I was very aware of the issues - but many road users got into trouble and I knew a young lad who died, sadly, because the bike he was riding pillion on lost it on one of those bends.
I'd heard that several flash 'sports' cars had also come unstuck on that stretch, going into bends with 'reversed cambers' that tip the car towards the outside of the bend - thus changing their hold on the road. Not good.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I often find myself doing the quotation marks whenever I say the word :down:

Don't worry, I do too, and I have to take statements from pilots who've had <quotation marks with fingers> lasers shone at their aircraft in flight :lol:

Always the professional, me :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here