Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer and other uses

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As I understand it, there will be a new company formed who will own and run the stadium.

This got me thinking; does this mean the city is in a position to attract another sports club to the area. Personally, I'd love to see a SuperLeague rugby league club in the stadium - but I guess a rugby union club would probably make more sense.

So, a) are there going to be conditions attached to Falmer that prevent this sort of groundshare? and
b) would enough people watch a rugby club (or whatever) at the stadium?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Barnet Seagull said:
50 uses of the stadium per year would be the biggest hurdle
To me, this seems like one of the most ridiculous conditions you could place on a stadium. Any business knows it needs its assets working as much as possible. This effectively means that the stadium cannot be used for 6 sevenths of the year. :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bollocks to THAT, Sim.
I don't want a herd of public school eggchasers carving up our pitch every other week, or have to put up with those faded rugby pitch markings painted all over the turf all the time. You'd only get a crowd of 115 in there to watch it anyway, and that'd probably consist of a load of chinless tweed-wearing, spiteful hooray henrys popping in for a bit of rugger on their way home from the hunt.

Nay, nay and thrice NAY.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Easy 10 said:
Bollocks to THAT, Sim.
I don't want a herd of public school eggchasers carving up our pitch every other week, or have to put up with those faded rugby pitch markings painted all over the turf all the time. You'd only get a crowd of 115 in there to watch it anyway, and that'd probably consist of a load of chinless tweed-wearing, spiteful hooray henrys popping in for a bit of rugger on their way home from the hunt.

Nay, nay and thrice NAY.
Have you seen rugby Premiership & Heineken cup crowds these days? There are some shit gates, but the average is 9,000 I think. Surely it's better for the stability of the Albion if there are two streams of income to pay for Falmer?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Simster said:
To me, this seems like one of the most ridiculous conditions you could place on a stadium. Any business knows it needs its assets working as much as possible. This effectively means that the stadium cannot be used for 6 sevenths of the year. :nono:

Maybe.

The stadium will be in use fully 12 months of the year, the restrictions apply to events with over 500 attendees.

Albion home games will probably account for 30 of these 50 events

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know if he was just goading NIMBY's (is that not a sport in itself).
But @ some point over the w/end, Fatboy said DK would let him play a gig there as he's no longer allowed to use the beach.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Stst Brother said:
I don't know if he was just goading NIMBY's (is that not a sport in itself).
But @ some point over the w/end, Fatboy said DK would let him play a gig there as he's no longer allowed to use the beach.

There are also restictions on noise pollution, and I believe only 2 music concerts per year can be held (with no lasers)

Oh, and no monster trucks.

All details are in annex D of the ODPM report.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Barnet Seagull said:
50 uses of the stadium per year would be the biggest hurdle

50 outdoor events in any 12 month period, of which a maximum of 2 are concerts. And quite right too, we can't have the pitch in use every week of the year as it'll be ruined (so Rugby can sod right off)

There is no limit on indoor events as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No MONSTER TRUCKS, fcuk that.
How could DK agree to such a travisty of justice, I'm gonna complain. Anyone know how I go about overturning this Falmer decision. :D :lolol: :D

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simster said:
Have you seen rugby Premiership & Heineken cup crowds these days? There are some shit gates, but the average is 9,000 I think. Surely it's better for the stability of the Albion if there are two streams of income to pay for Falmer?
I am a small minded and bitter individual Simster. Please leave me in my ignorance so I can continue to nurture and spew forth my irrational prejudices and ill-informed opinion on that "sport" they play with a stupidly shaped ball.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Curious Orange said:

There is no limit on indoor events as far as I can see.
So if we have a retractable roof, and close it, surely that makes the stadium INDOORS.............:lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'd be up for it if it would improve revenue

These conditions though , surely once it's built we can just f them off , i mean what they going to do ? demolish the stadium ?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Easy 10 said:
Bollocks to THAT, Sim.

Nay, nay and thrice NAY.

Rugby crowds arent like that anymore its a quality game and draws decent numbers, the atmosphere is buzzing as well.

However the limit of 48 uses per year would rule out a rugby season if we had a couple of cup runs, then I guess the Uni may be able to use it on occassion so its a no no. And it would be hard even with the best groundstaff/weather to maintain the pitch. Also wheres the nearest decent homeless rugby side?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Remember we have the option of actually playing lucrative pre-season home friendlys + international use, england under 21 etc.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Simster said:

I think after its built the club will apply to a couple of the conditions

Anyway there is only 23 league games say 5 cup games thats 28 there are only 12 teams in prem league union so thats 39 games and if you get some time that are not going to get into parker pen or Heineken Cup thats well under 50

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Reading, Hull and Bristol Rovers all have rugby matches played on their pitches but doesnt seem to carve up the pitch at all. Only where the surface is poor to start with ie the Millennium Stadium do you get problems. A rugby club would be a good source of revenue but Sussex isnt really a hotbed for the sport. The nearest good side are Haywards Heath I believe who were relegated last season from National League 3 South which is the equivalent of League 2 level if it was split into north/south.

A better bet would be to get some U21 or schoolboy internationals played there. And of course if Lewes or another local side got a big draw in the FA cup the tie could be switched.

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Dougal said:
I'd be up for it if it would improve revenue

But wouldn't the revenue go to the rugby team? Seats etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here