Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

falmer and filling the ground

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
see that charlton have coaches leaving lancing,lyons farm,hove sainsburys etc to every away game and pretty cheap,wonder if we are going to see the same thing for falmer and aim further afeild to encourage fans

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
see that charlton have coaches leaving lancing,lyons farm,hove sainsburys etc to every away game and pretty cheap,wonder if we are going to see the same thing for falmer and aim further afeild to encourage fans

Do you mean home games?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i recall reading once there are more Chalrton fans from outside their borough than locals. they've done a good job of attracting in fans from Kent, though i expect theres a fair bit down to migration of fans out of the area.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
This is an incredible shock. A lot of Londoners have moved to the Sussex coast in the last 15 years. Good Lord and they still support the football teams that they have always done.
I think it's disgraceful that London clubs aren't doing more to attract me and the hundreds of other Albion fans in the capital and northern home counties. It's unbelievable that Seagulls Over London meet up regularly and haven't all become Addicks fans. Outrageous!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This is an incredible shock. A lot of Londoners have moved to the Sussex coast in the last 15 years. Good Lord and they still support the football teams that they have always done.
I think it's disgraceful that London clubs aren't doing more to attract me and the hundreds of other Albion fans in the capital and northern home counties. It's unbelievable that Seagulls Over London meet up regularly and haven't all become Addicks fans. Outrageous!

Somehow I don't see the Eagles copying this blatant poaching of fans, at least in the BN postcode area....but then we are very close to two stations easily accessible from the coast, even with a change at East Croydon.

Just that neither of the stations are called Crystal Palace and the one that is, is about 3 miles from the ground!

stevey-o

I am the walrus.
Mar 24, 2009
sadly not in Brighton
I don't think the club works tremendously hard at raising awareness about the club / games. I hope they work harder when Falmer is open than they do now - I think with a bit of marketing savvy (like, telling people at the station when games are on / what games are on, a stand in Churchill Square to get passing people etc) they could sell a lot more tickets even now.

As a casual football fan the only way you'll know who your local team is playing is by buying the Argus or walking past the club shop, heaven forbid going in it. I reckon a few casual fans with nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon would turn up to games occasionally if they knew they were on and were actively encouraged to go. And with a few decent performances from the team those casuals could become more regular...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with that last post. Incredibly, in many ways given the way technology has moved on, marketing of Albion home games has regressed.

In the 80s you at least got those posters with forthcoming matches up at stations and elsewhere throughout East/West Sussex.

If we had targeted an extra 2,000 paying on average (with kids) say £20 each, call that £40,000 additionally per home game, which makes an extra £920,000 this season. You can't tell me that's not worth splashing out on a few posters.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Agree with that last post. Incredibly, in many ways given the way technology has moved on, marketing of Albion home games has regressed.

In the 80s you at least got those posters with forthcoming matches up at stations and elsewhere throughout East/West Sussex.

If we had targeted an extra 2,000 paying on average (with kids) say £20 each, call that £40,000 additionally per home game, which makes an extra £920,000 this season. You can't tell me that's not worth splashing out on a few posters.

What about an illuminated sign at Lewes? After all trains to Falmer will go from there, I expect the Falmer shuttle will turn around in the bay platform (no.5).

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Would be very happy to see coaches from the Chichester/Bognor area....will it happen tho'?

Oct 25, 2003
we should be ruling sussex. f*** it, get coaches going from crawley and eastbourne and send them back to whatever shithole non-entity league they belong in

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

Another way to fill the ground is promotions like. Buy one season ticket get one half price. 13-16yr olds for £5 or less. Nus discounts (like forests and notts season tickets for £150). Special days where st holders can bring a mate for a fiver. Under 13s for a quid or free

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The guy who owns the travel company who ran our coaches up to Villa was actually on our coach from Lancing. He gave out questionaires to everyone asking about if we thought it was a good idea to run coaches from localised pick-up points to all home games at Falmer and would we use them if they did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here