Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fake Irish tosser Lawrenson's best moment of Euro 2004

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Penalty save and goal by Ricardo against England. Didn't think he could still wind me up, but he did it again last night, with that choice :lol:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Paddy B said:
The Motson/Lawrensen partnership were what persuaded me to wtach the game on ITV

and me too. i lasted 9 minutes before those two idiots got me to switch sides, first time ever for a major match.

why motson can't pronounce even the simplest of foreign names is beyond me, it cant be soooo hard to accentuate the final "e" in nuno valente for example. he insisted on calling him nuno valent which is so sloppy!!!:nono:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Motty and Lawro seemed to have a number of in jokes going on between them aswell, pair of tosspots.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The fourth official has indicated that there will be a minimum of 4 minutes over time.

Argh!!! FFS it's INJURY time!!!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Lammy said:
The fourth official has indicated that there will be a minimum of 4 minutes over time.

Argh!!! FFS it's INJURY time!!!!

Actually it isn't injury time any more, it is added time for all stoppages, of which stoppage for injuries is just one. Also 30 seconds is added for every substitution in the half.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Jambo Seagull said:
I swapped between Radio five live and David Croft & Claridges' "analysis" on BBC interactive. Much better.

I used the Analysis. It kind of suits my level of interest in the match - i.e. doing the crossword while watching it. And I can't stand Lawrenson, or the golfing buddies in the studio.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
afters said:
why motson can't pronounce even the simplest of foreign names is beyond me, it cant be soooo hard to accentuate the final "e" in nuno valente for example. he insisted on calling him nuno valent which is so sloppy!!!:nono:

Sorry to be a pedant, but actually he's quite correct with "valent". The Portuguese don't pronounce the last 'e' in words, just like we don't in English.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Curious Orange said:
Actually it isn't injury time any more, it is added time for all stoppages, of which stoppage for injuries is just one. Also 30 seconds is added for every substitution in the half.

They're not being "overtime" either!!

It's Injury time (which also encompases other stuff)

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
To be fair to Motson, he does an unbelievable amount of research going into a tournament, much of which revolves around talking to the other countries' players, officials and journalists to (among other things) make sure he gets the pronunciation right.

I think his style has stayed pretty much the same over the years and whilst it was OK 10/15 years ago, we want a bit more from our commentators these days - mainly a bit of passion. John Motson seems to take the whole BBC thing a bit literally, with not wanting to be controversial in any way.

Personally, I think Jonathan Pearce is brilliant, with Alan Green on Five Live pretty good as well. I listened to a few games in Euro 2004 on TalkSport and Jim Proudfoot was excellent.

I think the time has come for John Motson to make a discreet farewell

:clap2: :clap2:

jazzy

Jul 5, 2003
I watched on ITV as I can't put up with Motson for more than a couple of minutes.

Anyone else notice (on ITV) that as soon as Greece scored the scoreline in top left hand corner flashed up Portugal 1-0 Greece. It went off again quite quickly!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Barry Davies should have been moved on a long time ago.

Does anyone else remember the commentating competition where Davies got his job. One of the contestants was Iain St John.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
i KNEW it was f***ing lawrenson. It was on in the pub and i was watching each of the pundits choices, i turned round for a minute, dunno why, looked back and saw the penalty save and then the keeper scopring it, i couldn't hear the sound so had no idea whose choice it was.
I remember saying
'whose choice was that? I bet it was Lawrenson, i hate that twat',
'he was great for albion tho',
'yeah, wish he would acknowledge it, he just looks embarassed when his time at Brighton is mentioned in interviews, he is such a WANKA'

remember the 'well, Brighton have only got themselves to blame' comment. Lawrenson is a negative, ill-informed, whinging, poor excuse of a man.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
jazzy said:
IAnyone else notice (on ITV) that as soon as Greece scored the scoreline in top left hand corner flashed up Portugal 1-0 Greece. It went off again quite quickly!

Yep - saw that as well. ITV viewers also had the luxury of actually seeing the closing ceremony - which although not fantastic was a lot better than watching the pundits on BBC. I preferred it when Ian Wright and Peter Schmiechel hated each other.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Went Leftfield and had Eurosport coverage on with James Richardson, Tony Dorigo and DJ Spooney in the studio.

Quite refreshing

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He was good to watch at the Goldstone.:drink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
dougdeep said:
He was good to watch at the Goldstone.:drink:

Agreed but he's erased that from his memory . he came from Preston and ended up at Liverpool and he loves them both :angry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you're a bit harsh on Lawro. By any objective assessment, a goalie taking a penalty (having just saved one) is a memorable moment of any tournament. I bet you lot wouldn't be castigating him if it had been scored against Germany or Italy.

I was suprised that no-one picked Portugal's second goal against England, I thought it was the best of the tournament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here