Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA to ban leagues for under 8s

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Football leagues ban for under-8s

The Football Association has banned competitive leagues and cups for boys and girls in the under-8 age group.

The move, which will take effect from next season, means no league tables or results will be published. The FA said there was too much emphasis on winning leagues, when the need was to improve youngsters' skills.

FA director of football development, Sir Trevor Brooking stressed that the under-8s would still be allowed to play competitive matches against each other.

Sir Trevor said: "It's widely accepted that we need to improve the skills and technique of players in this country. At the moment we are not at the same level as other countries. In the youngest age groups there's too much emphasis on winning leagues, often to satisfy parents and coaches. That's what we're looking to change. We need better, more skilful players coming through."

He added: "Of course, we are not banning children from competing against each other in football. Every game played is competitive, but undoubtedly having league tables at this age is not helping their development. It is the league tables being stopped rather than matches."

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Probably a good thing, especially as kids that age wont be too competitive

That's good preparation if they should make the England team in later life !!!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This is EXACTLY why this country is generally crap at producing top world stars.

It's not about winning, it's about taking part :nono:

I call BOLLOX. Too many dinosaurs in charge of sport in this country.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
There are no leagues until children reach Under 11 in Sussex or Kent...In fact, I'd be surprised if there were any around the country...

We're starting up an Under 7's next season and any games we play will be non-competitive friendlies and this is the case for most clubs in England. When the kids reach the Under 8's age bracket, they're put in leagues but non-competitive leagues...ie, there's no table and no trophies.

I believe that what the FA want to start doing is to ban clubs from recruiting children as young as 4 years old, put a strict limit on the amount of players teams recruit in one age range and extend mini soccer to the age of 14...

I know one club that last year had 21 children signed on for their Under 9's and at that age group teams play 7 v 7!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a load of shit.
Why not just remove the GOALS as well then ? Can't have kids trying too hard to score can we, and it'll only upset the defending team when they let one in.

Honestly. We wonder why we can't produce players. Competition is HEALTHY for christs sake. Whats the POINT of playing a load of meaningless games with no winners at the end, no context, no trophies, nothing to aspire or aim for ?

The FA should be concentrating on the problem of 11 year olds playing on full-sized pitches with full-sized goals, which makes every game a farce and just means the biggest kids win. Address THAT little beauty and we might get somewhere. Taking away League and Cup competitions will do f***-all except make every bloody match totally MEANINGLESS for the kids.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are no leagues until children reach Under 11 in Sussex or Kent...In fact, I'd be surprised if there were any around the country...

My lad played for Fishersgate Athletic for a couple of years when he was 8 or 9, and they had league tables.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
And they should stop under 11's playing on full size pitches. Turned up to play a game last year and there they were, Under 11's playing on our adults pitch !!!

I agree with this move - its got mothing to do with losing the competitive spirit, all to do about focussing on technique and improving skills. Think its a good move. Their natural competitiveness will shine through as they get into teenage years.

Stumpy Tim

The problem Easy, is that coaches tend to want to win so tell the kids to shoot high so the keeper can't catch it, and kick is away when it's near their goal. Children need to be able to play without care & leagues don't allow them to do that.

Question - are 8/9 year olds still playing on full-size pitches like they did when we were children. My best mate in Oz is Spanish and he didn't play on a full-size pitch until he was 14. They played futsal only. He's a very skillful player - and SHIT-HOT at futsal!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
This is EXACTLY why this country is generally crap at producing top world stars.

It's not about winning, it's about taking part :nono:

I call BOLLOX. Too many dinosaurs in charge of sport in this country.

sorry but you're speaking absolute crap...

the reason why we aren't producing more world class players isn't because there's no competition, but because children are being FORCED out of the game through stress, pressure and injuries at an early age because games are too competitive!

You've clearly never been involved in youth football as if you had, you'd have seen promising young players destroyed mentally because there's too much pressure to win - not only from the coaches of the teams they play for, but the parents of the children as well.

Children put enough pressure on themselves to win without having more added pressure by entering them into competitive leagues and competitions...Think how the kids who play for those teams at the bottom of the league feel? or the team that gets knocked out of the first round of a cup competition.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
My lad played for Fishersgate Athletic for a couple of years when he was 8 or 9, and they had league tables.

never heard of a team called Fishersgate Athletic, so I can't vouch for them. However, I know that Fishersgate FLyers play on mini soccer pitches as we played against them down at Victoria Park last season...

Mini soccer was introduced in 1999 where the pitch sizes were reduced to a quarter of the size of a full adults pitch...is it possible your son was playing before that?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
the reason why we aren't producing more world class players isn't because there's no competition, but because children are being FORCED out of the game through stress, pressure and injuries at an early age because games are too competitive!

You've clearly never been involved in youth football as if you had, you'd have seen promising young players destroyed mentally because there's too much pressure to win - not only from the coaches of the teams they play for, but the parents of the children as well.

Children put enough pressure on themselves to win without having more added pressure by entering them into competitive leagues and competitions...Think how the kids who play for those teams at the bottom of the league feel? or the team that gets knocked out of the first round of a cup competition.

There has to be a balance. The overriding factor here is that its supposed to be FUN for the kids. If parents and coaches are placing too much emphasis on winning at all costs, then thats what needs to be addressed. But completely removing the league or cup structure is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. A BALANCE needs to be struck, you shouldn't have to sacrifice a League structure to concentrate on the skill - they can (and should) go hand in hand surely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
never heard of a team called Fishersgate Athletic, so I can't vouch for them. However, I know that Fishersgate FLyers play on mini soccer pitches as we played against them down at Victoria Park last season...

Mini soccer was introduced in 1999 where the pitch sizes were reduced to a quarter of the size of a full adults pitch...is it possible your son was playing before that?

Yup, he was playing on a reduced sized pitch at that age (on Fishersgate Rec, they had two). But then they moved to the park behind Southwick sports centre, and now I see kids not much older than 11 or 12 playing on the full-sized Sunday league pitches.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There has to be a balance. The overriding factor here is that its supposed to be FUN for the kids. If parents and coaches are placing too much emphasis on winning at all costs, then thats what needs to be addressed. But completely removing the league or cup structure is throwing out the baby with the bathwater. A BALANCE needs to be struck, you shouldn't have to sacrifice a League structure to concentrate on the skill - they can (and should) go hand in hand surely.

But that's the point.

Football at that age should be about enjoying yourself, improving yourself and appreciating the concept of teamwork and respect. Sorry to sound all pompous and Montessorian, but without those aspects in place, you will seriously struggle be a good footballer - or a good citizen for that matter (I learn this stuff from the missus, you know). Those fundamentals are seriously eroded if the prime mover for a seven year-old is winning and glory. They come later.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
and now I see kids not much older than 11 or 12 playing on the full-sized Sunday league pitches.

That's my point...and that's why I said that Mini-Soccer should be introduced for the 12-14 year olds...I remember playing when I was a kid over at Bevendean and goalies had no chance because the goals were full size...I mean, what chance does a 12 year old stand in a full sive goal - it's a joke.

That said, I DO think the FA are moving in the right direction with this...I'm taking the coaching course that the Albion do and certainly from reading the latest FA guidelines, there seems to be more of a willingness to get things right at grassroots level now compared to what there was even 10 years ago.

I'm pretty passionate about this side of football having been involved in youth football for the last year on various levels and I'm sure Mrs Coach and others involved with youth football on here will back me up on this, that since the introduction of the small sided game, the quality from the age of 8 upwards is showing a real improvement across all teams in Sussex and I'm sure that's why in 5 years or so, you're going to see a real increase in children being able to take the step up to the professional game at the right time.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think Mid Sussex have a competitive league.

The competitive part really isnt the problem, its the managers.

Many of them can only gauge their own progress by the scoreline or league position.

Unfortuantely taking away a 'league table' wont improve the situation, the bad managers will remain being bad and the good ones remain good.

Its a gesture thats all.

I think you gotta be careful here, many 'new age' coaches think that being passive and losing regularly is somehow an indication of how good they are, whilst the team that wins regularly is somehow sneared at !!!

There must be a balance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But that's the point.

Football at that age should be about enjoying yourself, improving yourself and appreciating the concept of teamwork and respect. Sorry to sound all pompous and Montessorian, but without those aspects in place, you will seriously struggle be a good footballer - or a good citizen for that matter (I learn this stuff from the missus, you know). Those fundamentals are seriously eroded if the prime mover for a seven year-old is winning and glory. They come later.

I still don't see why you can't have one thing (enjoying yourself, improving yourself and appreciating the concept of teamwork and respect) without the other (competition).

You have to learn to lose in life as well as win. Sheltering kids from competition won't improve them - it'll just take away their targets to aspire towards. The key thing is that they should NEVER be put under any pressure from parents or coaches to win at all costs. THATS where the problem lies, and adults should be mature enough to put aside their own vanity and desire for "reflected glory" and just let ther kids enjoy playing - and actually playing for something.

Your team finished bottom ? OK, the next target is next-from-bottom. Then one place above that, and so on. Whats so wrong with that ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's my point...and that's why I said that Mini-Soccer should be introduced for the 12-14 year olds...I remember playing when I was a kid over at Bevendean and goalies had no chance because the goals were full size...I mean, what chance does a 12 year old stand in a full sive goal - it's a joke.

That said, I DO think the FA are moving in the right direction with this...I'm taking the coaching course that the Albion do and certainly from reading the latest FA guidelines, there seems to be more of a willingness to get things right at grassroots level now compared to what there was even 10 years ago.

I'm pretty passionate about this side of football having been involved in youth football for the last year on various levels and I'm sure Mrs Coach and others involved with youth football on here will back me up on this, that since the introduction of the small sided game, the quality from the age of 8 upwards is showing a real improvement across all teams in Sussex and I'm sure that's why in 5 years or so, you're going to see a real increase in children being able to take the step up to the professional game at the right time.

Agree with all of that.
Pitch sizes for kids are the REAL issue here, not League tables. Sort out the pitches and the goals, and folk like yourself will see to the rest. Kids LOVE competing ! Why take that away ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here