Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expenses Labour M/Ps to get Legal Aid.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
David Chaytor,Elliot Morley and Jim Devine have won the right to legal aid in their cases re-expense claims. :angry:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Holy shite, its not a joke.

So these grasping scumbags try to claim "parliamentary privilege" to avoid having to go to court over their expenses claims....and now they are claiming their legal expenses from the State (ie taxpayer) to fight their case.

f*** me. Those bastards need a seriously big slap.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
how does someone earning £60k + qualify for legal aid?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They are quite literally and quite blatantly taking the piss out of each and every one of us now. They know EXACTLY what kind of reaction this will get from the public, but they're sticking two fingers up at us and going ahead with it anyway. If Brown had ANY control over his party, he'd have had these shysters in his office already and told them to pay the f*** up, or f*** the f*** off.

Well, my vote was wavering, I was still undecided. But I know for absolutely sure now where it will NOT be going.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They are quite literally and quite blatantly taking the piss out of each and every one of us now. They know EXACTLY what kind of reaction this will get from the public, but they're sticking two fingers up at us and going ahead with it anyway. If Brown had ANY control over his party, he'd have had these shysters in his office already and told them to pay the f*** up, or f*** the f*** off.

They've been suspended from the party so Brown has no control over them.

While agreeing that it's totally outrageous, I think people fail to understand that the judiciary and executive are separate in the UK. It's not a government decision, it's a decision of the scum-sucking lawyers who have pound signs behind their eyes.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

Well, my vote was wavering, I was still undecided. But I know for absolutely sure now where it will NOT be going.

They've all been suspended.

IF they are found guilty the judge can order them to pay back the costs of the case

The whole party shouldn't be held accountable for the actions of a few.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Oh well, they probably would have claimed it back on expenses anyway.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
They've been suspended from the party so Brown has no control over them.

While agreeing that it's totally outrageous, I think people fail to understand that the judiciary and executive are separate in the UK. It's not a government decision, it's a decision of the scum-sucking lawyers who have pound signs behind their eyes.

I think that's your lawyer-hating bias speaking there. How does it help lawyers? They get paid the same regardless of whether they're being paid by the state or by the individual.

The Access to Justice Act was put forward by the government and voted in by government MPs, as well as the MPs of other parties. It is a parliamentary/executive decision. It is legislation, not common law ... the judiciary has nothing to do with it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think that's your lawyer-hating bias speaking there. How does it help lawyers? They get paid the same regardless of whether they're being paid by the state or by the individual.

From the BBC story; ""Decisions about legal aid are made by the courts and MPs and ministers have no control over the award of legal aid in individual cases," he added.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
From the BBC story; ""Decisions about legal aid are made by the courts and MPs and ministers have no control over the award of legal aid in individual cases," he added.

A barrister has a set rate, the award of legal aid merely determines how much the state will contribute, not how much a barrister will be paid.

However I retract my statement about the judiciary having nothing to do with it, I didn't realise that. Looks like all three pillars have a role to play (executive, parliament, judiciary).

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It should also be noted that the test which allows them to qualify is already being phased out and had this scandal come out a little later none of them would have qualified.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
This must be the death kneal for Brown,it will run right through this election campaign,surely ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Make the labur party pay for it.

Why? It's not their fault. A judge has granted them this, not the Government. Also, as previously mentioned, they have been suspended from the party. Also, new rules are already coming in so Camerons kneejerk reaction is pretty pointless. Policy on the hoof DC, that's the way to run a country is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here