Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Excellent World Cup spreadsheet, by excely ...

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Found a brilliant spreadsheet here:

http://www.excely.com/football/2010-fifa-world-cup-schedule.shtml

All you have to do is fill in the scores, it does everyhting else.

Keeps the group tables up-to-date automatically; not just the points, but the order in the group.

Later, as each group is completed, teams get moved on into correct knock stage matches, etc.

Has the FIFA rules built-in to resolve drawn games/equal points, etc - using goal difference, goals scored, etc, etc.

It is password protected, so you can't accidently damage the logic/programming.

Doesn't use macros (it says). I scanned with Malwarebytes - which didn't find anything malicious.

Looks good!

When I put in SA goal, it put them top of their group, Mexico bottom, like it says on the tin.

Pity that I then had to put in the Mexico goal ...

zego

Jul 10, 2003
OR you could just look the BBC sport site...

Of course, or a zillion other online sites.

But if you are on the beach, all you need is a very modest notepad pc, and a tranny ...

Can also play what-ifs, as you are in control of the scores - the only bit that is not automatic. Won't mean much until the group stage nears completion, but could be of passing interest to plug in an extra goal or two during a game to see how the overall picture changes. Or whatever.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

zego

Jul 10, 2003
What are the boxes for to the right of the city names in the knockout round bits?

Good question!

I presume they are for penalty shoot-out, to resolve draws.

Your question does raise another point - data entry only goes up to 9 goals max per team! Might be a weakness.

Smithy24

Sep 1, 2009
Good question!

I presume they are for penalty shoot-out, to resolve draws.

Your question does raise another point - data entry only goes up to 9 goals max per team! Might be a weakness.

I suppose it probably is.

The n
9 goals max could be a problem for Brazil v North Korea:lol:

zego

Jul 10, 2003
I suppose it probably is.

The n
9 goals max could be a problem for Brazil v North Korea:lol:

I've emailed excely to see if we can have an extra digit - that should be enough for anyone, even Brazil might run out of legs before breaking a 99 goal barrier ...

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Nope you're all wrong.
The best effort at an excel football sheet is by Michael Wray.

Google "Michael Wray" and a Brighton fan in exile with a passion for excel will appear - unbeatable

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Nope you're all wrong.
The best effort at an excel football sheet is by Michael Wray.

Google "Michael Wray" and a Brighton fan in exile with a passion for excel will appear - unbeatable

This link direct to the spreadsheet file, zipped:

http://www.michaelwray.co.nz/WC2010 Finals.zip

or this link to home-page via:

http://www.michaelwray.co.nz/index.html

His spreadsheet has many information features beyond the finals tables.

The tables are very similar to the excely.com ones - not a surprise as largely follows from the structure and rules defined by FIFA.

prudence

Jun 22, 2011
have used the sheets produced from the wray webiste and also the ones available from Welcome to Football-Bet-Data

Both spreadsheets are excellent and have helped me with my betting and stats analysis this year. The only plus side of the football-bet-data ones is that they cover more leagues so can still use them during the dull summer months when there is no world cup or euro's on. punk:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here