Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exactly HOW do you get a cast iron bath out of your house??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm [ill-advisedly] trying to fit a new bathroom suite, to replace the lovely turquoise 1970's one we inherited.

Luckily this bathroom is on the ground floor, so no stairs to contend with, but how do you get the cast iron bath out? It would appear to weigh several tonnes! There is only a cm or 2 of clearance at either end, so it can't be turned at all - it needs to be stood on end first, if it were to be carried.

Is it at all possible to cut it up? Would an angle grinder do it? Apologies for being slightly retarded.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I know someone who advertised their old bathroom suite on eBay. They got about 30 quid from someone who wanted a 'retro' look and then came to take it away, thus also saving them the job of cutting it up and dumping it.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I'm [ill-advisedly]

Is it at all possible to cut it up? Would an angle grinder do it?

indeed it would but Cast Iron baths are worth a few quid it may be worth trying to sell it as previously mentioned !!

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
cut it up - that's what our plumber did with ours

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
if you aren't wanting to sell it just smash it up. we did and it was great fun.

cover the part you are about to whack with a damp towel and it will just splinter off. makes a bit of a mess and you might want to wear an eye mask. we broke it down into about 5 pieces that i was able to move out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That sounds like great fun. thanks Paddy - shall try it. Haven't got a proper sledgehammer handy, but a BIG club hammer might just do it.

NB. Somebody would have to be BLIND to want to buy ours - it is NASTY.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
no use to you I guess, but in a previous house we had a similar problem. This was thankfully solved by the fact we were putting in a much larger window, so the bath went out that after the window was knocked out. Made a hellava crash from that height on to the concrete path!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Cast Iron baths are not actually made from cast iron but from a combination of compressed lead mixed with dark matter. They must be or else they wouldn't be so heavy. You expect them to be heavy, just not that heavy.

Smash it up with a wrecking mallet / club hammer and, as Chapmans The Saviour says - f***ing Smash The f*** Out Of It

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Thanks all. I shall report back later!! :thumbsup:

If it has a roll top on it and decent feet (ball & claw) try and save it. Re-Enammelled and painted up they can be worth over a grand. If its just a flat top then just smash it up.

For fucks sake be careful though, although you end up looking like a goon, wear protective glasses. Cast iron shards are like bulletts when you smash it up and if you can't see, who's going to organize this years six a side?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think you need to get the nunns and the soap out of the bath first.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You will need...

sledgehammer.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here