Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everyone here is one off the wrist from missing the boat. Welcome to the God thread

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
This blows my mind every time, the odds of you and I being here are off the astronomic scale; one sperm with your name on it, mixed together with billions of other little microscopic taddys, all similar to yours, yet so very, very different. Given the chance, the sperm next to yours may have gone on to become a female Palace fan, the complete opposite to what you are today.

Just a few hours and it looked likely that your destiny would have been a swathe of toilet paper and the flushing of a bog pan, gone forever. But no, your mam, bless her, came home early from work feeling a tad randy with her miriad of eggs (one with your name on) ready for some total ACTION. The rest is history. Against the most amazing odds you ended up here you moaning old, ungrateful, selfish bastard.

I'm not religious, but God, or whoever designed us from scratch, is facking amazing.

That's all, I'm off for a quick knuckle shuffle.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
This blows my mind every time, the odds of you and I being here are off the astronomic scale; one sperm with your name on it, mixed together with billions of other little microscopic taddys, all similar to yours, yet so very, very different. Given the chance, the sperm next to yours may have gone on to become a female Palace fan, the complete opposite to what you are today.

Just a few hours and it looked likely that your destiny would have been a swathe of toilet paper and the flushing of a bog pan, gone forever. But no, your mam, bless her, came home early from work feeling a tad randy with her miriad of eggs (one with your name on) ready for some total ACTION. The rest is history. Against the most amazing odds you ended up here you moaning old, ungrateful, selfish bastard.

I'm not religious, but God, or whoever designed us from scratch, is facking amazing.

That's all, I'm off for a quick knuckle shuffle.

Are you coming back when you've shot your load?

Ah, but.......

With all the shagging, the eggs, the spermatozoa in their millions, and all the human beings, babies are BOUND to happen.
You are just an incidental, no importance and nothing special. If it wasn't that sperm it would have been the next one and your brother or sister would be instead of you being. :shrug:

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Ah, but.......

With all the shagging, the eggs, the spermatozoa in their millions, and all the human beings, babies are BOUND to happen.
You are just an incidental, no importance and nothing special. If it wasn't that sperm it would have been the next one and your brother or sister would be instead of you being. :shrug:

Didn't say I was special, although I am a GREAT pool player.

To be fair, all the sperms in one "load" are so similar, that if your sperm missed the bubble in favour of another, there would most probably be no noticeable differences in the person you've become whatsoever.

So, everyone is a body with an intended spirit pre-designated to be that 'you' and there's no chance of else happening once the jolly joyride is on?
I don't subscribe to your point of view. Does it have biological backing?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
To be fair, all the sperms in one "load" are so similar, that if your sperm missed the bubble in favour of another, there would most probably be no noticeable differences in the person you've become whatsoever.

Incorrect. Sperm are remarkably different from one another.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've always read that all sperms spawn from the same parent cell, but make barely noticeable changes in progression via meiosis (sp?) which is why identical twins are so probable despite millions of possibilities of sperm.

If a different sperm landed your egg, you would most probably be the same person but with a slightly bigger nose, if that.

Partly correct, meiosis would normally produce 2 pairs of identical haploid (23 chromosomes as opposed to the usual 46) cells, but due to processes such as 'crossing over', each of the 4 sperm cells are very varied genetically.
Two chromosomes line up alongside each other, then they twist around each other.
When they twist together portions are broken off.
The broken pieces then join with the other chromosome.

These chromosomes after crossing over will then undergo meiosis, producing the 4 different cells.

I once knew a student gynecologist who was reading up the theory and had reached the conclusion that conception required such an unlikely combination of circumstances that the only logical conclusion was that it was impossible.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
if it helps the debate i was definitely the sperm with the biggest gonads

Upon conception, somebody once told me that we are all FEMALES and the meat and two veggies only pop up later. Therefore, sperms don't have bollocks. Having said that, my sperm was the cleverest which would explain my amazingly high IQ.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
while the wonders of the world and universe are indeed wonderfull and marvellous, the actual odds of you coming into being are precisely 1 in 1.

This made up God fella is clearly a sperm genocide warlord! Sacrificing millions for the end product, usually, of one. The odds are insane of you being you, but perhaps we should mourn the death in the absorbsion in paper or on ladies tonsils of our kin?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here