Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

European Cup Winners...1976 - 1986

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My nipper just told me that Nottingham Forest won the 'Champions League' ( he means the European Cup of course ) twice.

I was surprised as my faded memory ( I was 9yrs old at the time ) had them only winning it once.

So out come his football diary, and I was surprised to see this :

1976-77 Rome Liverpool 3-1 Borussia M'Gladbach
1977-78 Wembley Liverpool 1-0 F.C. Bruges
1978-79 Munich Nottingham Forest 1-0 Malmo F F
1979-80 Madrid Nottingham Forest 1-0 SV Hamburg
1980-81 Paris Liverpool 1-0 Real Madrid
1981-82 Rotterdam Aston Villa 1-0 Bayern Munich
1984-85 Heysel Juventus 1-0 Liverpool
1985-86 Seville #Steaua Bucharest 0-0 Barcelona

# = after evtra time and penalties.

A few things.

1) Diary doesn't say who won the 85/86 final ( I'm assuming it's Steaua as they are written first ). I seem to remember a quality Steaua side turning up for a 'Champions League' final and being thouroughly pissed off to see them play for pens (which they won ) right from the KO. I seem to remember that being in the 90's though, and I can't remember the opposition. Am I confusing Steaua with Red Star Belgrade from 90/91 final ?

2) Why no final in 83/84 ? Printing error in his diary or was there really no final that year. If not why ? I can understand a cancellation in 85/86, but not in 83/84.

3) I have memories of watching Aston Villa in a European final on a portable tv outside with my mates under our porch in a thunderstorm. I remember Jimmy Rimmer getting injured or something and a very young Nigel Spinks coming on as sub and being the hero. My memory has Spinks saving a penalty in a penalty shoot though, but this doesn't seem to have actually happened. What occurred then ?

4) I think my theory on why UEFA banned English clubs from Europe after Heysel still holds true though after reading this. Incredible to think that English clubs won the 6 European Cup finals immediately proceeding Heysel. The only clubs that should have got banned were Liverpool and Juventus, but we all know why UEFA decided differently :angry:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
1) Diary doesn't say who won the 85/86 final ( I'm assuming it's Steaua as they are written first ). I seem to remember a quality Steaua side turning up for a 'Champions League' final and being thouroughly pissed off to see them play for pens (which they won ) right from the KO. I seem to remember that being in the 90's though, and I can't remember the opposition. Am I confusing Steaua with Red Star Belgrade from 90/91 final ?

Steaua won it.

Barca have only ever won the competition twice, in 1992 and 2006.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Also, Liverpool won it in 1984, beat Roma on pens.

Must be a printing error in the diary.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Also, Liverpool won it in 1984, beat Roma on pens.

Must be a printing error in the diary.

Thanks for that.

I promise I didn't write that Diary. As an armchair UNITED fan I :censored: hate Liverpool, and would of omitted more than just one of their victories ;)

Certainly cements the UEFA banning of ALL English clubs theory though.
Change that 6 to a 7.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
moer uless info bout forest winnin european cup is that they are the only team to win the european cup more times than their own league title
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i know lol

That's surprising, I thought they were a really BIG club :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The most important point here about Nottingham Forest's success in 1979 is that the following season we were the only team to do the double over them. 1-0 home and away.

Great goal by Williams in the home game but the best was beating the reigning European Champions on the home turf and ending their record breaking unbeaten home run as well. It wasn't a great goal as I remember, chipped cross by Lawrenson, headed down by Ray Clarke and poked past Shilton by Ryan. The ball trickled into the net through the mud. Spent the next 87 minutes turning around and watching the clock tick by slowly. Seem to remember they missed a penalty aswell. Happy days.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think the most amazing thing about the Forest win's is how they came from nowhere to win the league Championship and two European Cups. Sadly it couldn't happen nowadays.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The most important point here about Nottingham Forest's success in 1979 is that the following season we were the only team to do the double over them. 1-0 home and away.

Great goal by Williams in the home game but the best was beating the reigning European Champions on the home turf and ending their record breaking unbeaten home run as well. It wasn't a great goal as I remember, chipped cross by Lawrenson, headed down by Ray Clarke and poked past Shilton by Ryan. The ball trickled into the net through the mud. Spent the next 87 minutes turning around and watching the clock tick by slowly. Seem to remember they missed a penalty aswell. Happy days.

remember being pelted by coins from the Forest fans shut in the NE terrace as we walked home after this one - more than doubled my pocket money with the bounty - which I probably spent on Football '80 stickers

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the most amazing thing about the Forest win's is how they came from nowhere to win the league Championship and two European Cups. Sadly it couldn't happen nowadays.

True. And there are plenty of European clubs who either won it or did very well in it who have faded in that competition. As a kid I remember St Etienne being a great side, and the number of players Hajduk Split have provided Yugoslavia, Croatia and now just about every 'top' European league is ridiculous.

At least Forest are English, ie if they did make it back to the Prem they'd have some money. Look at Malmo, who they beat in one final. It really is inconceivable they will make it anywhere close again.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
EUFA were determined to end the English dominance of Europe hence the ban on English clubs where as violence in Turkey, Spai, &Italy and others has gone unpunished. Still, had to let us back because the tourno's were pants without us.

As for the Forest game, up there, got to be way up in the all time Top 10 of anyone who was there. it was also Tony Woodcocks farewell game for forest as he headed off for fame & fortune in Germany.

I think Forest were top of the league on that day (if not 2nd) but we were definatly bottom, which made the result even sweeter.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nigel Spink in goal for the Villa game. There certainly wasn't a penalty shoot-out, but there was one occasion when Bayern had an indirect free-kick (whatever happened to them? Aside from offside, refs never seem to give them, especially for obstruction inside the box) just outside the area.

Bearing in mind it was Spink's third game for Villa, it took some bollocks to happily let the free-kick sail directly into the goal, knowing the ref would give a goal kick.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the Nigel Spink info, Large One.

That does indeed take some balls from an inexperienced keeper, not to panic and concede a goal from such a free kick after getting fingertips to it.

Your memory much better than mine :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here