Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU plays trump card and win millions of brits over to the European cause

From the BBC website:-

UK faces booze cruise court case

The European Commission is taking legal action against Britain over cross-Channel shoppers, despite a last minute concession from the government.

The EC says British Customs officers are too tough in their treatment of consumers bringing cheap alcohol and cigarettes into the country.

Goods can be confiscated if the officers believe they have not been bought for personal consumption.

Dozens of people every year have goods and even their cars seized by customs.

Under EU rules, shoppers can buy beer, wine and cigarettes abroad, where taxes are lower, and bring it into Britain without paying British excise duties.

Customs officers have seized goods and impounded cars when shoppers come back with large amounts of goods to sell to friends and family.

The UK Treasury wants duty paid on those goods and officers say they only confiscate items when they suspect the rules are being exploited.

While taking property may sometimes be justified, the commission says it amounts to a "severe and intrusive" sanction in minor cases.

On Tuesday Chancellor Gordon Brown agreed Customs should let first-time offenders keep their cars and goods but pay evaded UK duty and a fine.

"It is accepted that we are talking about just 28 to 30 cases a year and we are very close to a deal with the commission," a government spokesman said.

"The chancellor has shown he is willing to make concessions and there is not a lot more to be done."

But that may not be enough to appease single market commissioner Frits Bolkestein, who has warned: "Cross-border shopping is a fundamental right under EU law and should not be regarded as a form of tax evasion."

Treasury Minister John Healey has said the £3bn-a-year excise duty losses from smuggling are effectively borne by ordinary taxpayers.

The case will go to the European Court of Justice.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Fcuk the UKIP

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Lord Bracknell said:
From the BBC website:-

But that may not be enough to appease single market commissioner Frits Bolkestein, who has warned: "Cross-border shopping is a fundamental right under EU law and should not be regarded as a form of tax evasion."

Frits Bolkestein, you are my new hero.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mr C said:
At least they're prepared to speak out about policies that will take Britain forward, rather than into the dark ages (i.e. further into the EU).

I am not saying i would vote for them, but their European policies are good.
How can closer integration and co-operation with a continent which has been at war with itself for the past 500 years be a move into the dark ages?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The Large One said:
How can closer integration and co-operation with a continent which has been at war with itself for the past 500 years be a move into the dark ages?

Amen to that

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:

Yes, and whilst they were fighting each other we built the most powerfull empire the world has ever seen and prospered. Outside their squables!

The Large One said:
Because it's not just co-operation we're talking about here. The goal of the EU is to merge all states into one lump (to put it bluntly).

This will never work, all you get is friction, and the "one size fits all" policy is flawed right from the outset.

Trading agreements are fine, but that's not what it is. There is an upcoming referendum in the North East about whether or not they wish to have a Regional Assembly. Yet another step on the road to the EU unfortunately. Tell me how this is good for Britain.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Mr C said:
Because it's not just co-operation we're talking about here. The goal of the EU is to merge all states into one lump (to put it bluntly).

This will never work, all you get is friction, and the "one size fits all" policy is flawed right from the outset.

Trading agreements are fine, but that's not what it is. There is an upcoming referendum in the North East about whether or not they wish to have a Regional Assembly. Yet another step on the road to the EU unfortunately. Tell me how this is good for Britain.

I'm not sure that has anything to do with the EU. I think it is Blair and his cronies setting-up power bases away from Westminster that they can retain control of when they eventually get driven from power. A bit like the old GLC.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
3gulls said:
Yes, and whilst they were fighting each other we built the most powerfull empire the world has ever seen and prospered. Outside their squables!

Yep, and we made a right royal f*** up of that. That's something you're proud of?

Anger and bitterness from the French Canadians who crave independence.
India and Pakistan bordering on the edge of a nuclear war.
Poverty in the various Caribbean islands that Britain plundered.
Rebellion and violence in Ireland.

And what did we give in return? Cricket. That was well worth marching across the globe to wreck communities and civilisations for.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mr C said:
"one size fits all" policy is flawed right from the outset.
What, like the nasty old social chapter. I remember all you right wingers bleating at how bad that would be for our economy, yet strangely I don't recall a single big company going to the wall because they were forced to pay a reasonable minimum wage or were unable to force their workers to work longer than 45 hours a week.

*tch* More nasty EU meddling, eh

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Large One said:
Very debatable. They just want nothing to do with the Commonwealth. Most French Canadians are proudly Quebecois AND Canadian and are tired of being told they have to choose.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
Yep, and we made a right royal f*** up of that. That's something you're proud of?

India and Pakistan bordering on the edge of a nuclear war.
Poverty in the various Caribbean islands that Britain plundered.
Rebellion and violence in Ireland.

And what did we give in return? Cricket. That was well worth marching across the globe to wreck communities and civilisations for.

Your list is selective. There are many other places that have clearly demonstrated that they are unfit to govern themselves. Iraq springs to mind! The problems in India and Pakistan are not of our making, they are founded in their ancient religions. The only reason we had to relinquish our Empire is it was a condition of US support in WW2. That was a prime example of why we should stay out of European affairs and let them get on with things without us.

3gulls said:

That's as daft a comment as the one you are responding to.

We are now, as we have been for centuries, part of political Europe. As a result, we have been involved in most of Europe's wars - being one of the more powerful of the European states, we have been almost inevitably drawn in to them all (in fact, we started quite a lot of them).

The idea that Europe is "they" is just stupid; WE are part of Europe.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
fatbadger said:
That's as daft a comment as the one you are responding to.

We are now, as we have been for centuries, part of political Europe. As a result, we have been involved in most of Europe's wars - being one of the more powerful of the European states, we have been almost inevitably drawn in to them all (in fact, we started quite a lot of them).

The idea that Europe is "they" is just stupid; WE are part of Europe.

Mostly our involvement was through choice, not because we were an integral part of Europe and had no alternatives.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I posted a poll on this recently, which a lot of NSC people misinterpreted. I have no enthusiasm to be part of one political Europe, with a central European government, and I once had a "No to government from Brussels" sticker on the back of my car. I therefore did not vote in my own poll. Having said that, with the new members, this is now less likely. I was trying to point out some of the benefits we get from belonging to Europe and that those who are anti the European Union rarely criticise how far we are going along with American policy. I am getting totally fed up with Blair just doing everything Bush wants, seemingly without thinking what it could mean for our relationships with other nations.

3gulls said:
There are many other places that have clearly demonstrated that they are unfit to govern themselves. Iraq springs to mind!
The "Iraq" of which you speak is entirely the creation of the British Empire - a nation state that has no coherence and a population that has been divided amongst itself for hundreds of years.

But the British Empire's administrators didn't give a toss, because they weren't in the slightest bit interested about a political arrangement that would deliver the Kurds any security, or serve the interests of the other communities in the region.

Mix 'em all up, establish an oil industry, retire and see what happens. Surprise, surprise ... Saddam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here