Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Ethical' foie gras, anyone?...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6301715.stm

As York city council looks at banning foie gras, the French-named delicacy that comes from force feeding geese, Spanish farmers have perfected an "ethical" version. It's even won an award in France.

It is the foodstuff that leaves the table divided. On one side, those who consider the fatty goose liver the ultimate delicacy.

And opposite, those whose plates are pushed aside as their thoughts turn to the practice of gavage - force-feeding geese and ducks until their liver swells to many times its normal size.

York city councillors are considering what they can do to discourage the sale and serving of foie gras in the city. The answer may well be "not much" but they are keen to follow the US city Chicago, which has taken it off the menu, to show their disapproval.

Like veal production and battery hens, it is the process behind the product that raises culinary and moral hackles and puts many people off.

Even hardy food critics: "I've always been a bit squeamish about it - I wouldn't say I didn't eat it but I wouldn't order it, because of the same kind of thing about veal. You see pictures of geese with these huge things stuck down their throats..." says restaurant guide author Peter Harden.

Ancient practice

But that could change. Spain, a country not renowned for its love of animals, has come up with what could be foie gras's Holy Grail. It's not exactly guilt-free - vegetarians look away now, the goose still gets the bullet - but without being force fed first.

The practice of force-feeding geese has a long history - it is said to date back to Egyptian times. The purpose is to swell their liver so that it turns white, becomes more fatty and loses its bitter taste. A pipe inserted into their throats is used to administer the grain.

"We know when the geese are ready because their bellies drag on the ground" - Eduardo Sousa

As with much of farming and food production, it is the large-scale industrial-commercial enterprises that draw more criticism than small family-run farms.

Spanish company Pateria de Sousa, in Badajoz province, is seen as more ethical because it makes its foie gras by slaughtering the birds at a time when they have naturally eaten more to create reserves for what would have been migration.

It means the harvest is seasonal, before Christmas or in February, depending on the weather. And it is limited to geese, not including the more reliable, breed-able ducks. But the proof of the pudding comes in the tasting - and the French have already given it a food award at the Paris International Food Salon.

"We don't force feed the animals, they feed and live freely on our land," says the farm's owner, Eduardo Sousa. "The animals eat and eat and eat, so that they'll be fat for winter."

They live in symbiotic harmony with the farm's pigs, bred for its Spanish "jamon". While the pigs feed on acorns, the geese pick up their leftovers, plus the figs and lupins dotted around.

"We know when the geese are ready because their bellies drag on the ground." So how would they take off to migrate? Well, these ones don't.

By definition?

Culinary purists however say that without the force feeding, it is not foie gras. High-fat livers have been available before, but do not stand apart in taste terms and, in modern times, have not been accepted as the real thing.

It would take a scientific experiment involving cutting the goose open to have a look, to establish whether full-blown foie gras is produced, argues food writer Josephine Bacon.

She also maintains that worrying about foie gras production on a small scale is a false concern compared with intensive farming. Gavage, she maintains, is "perfectly natural".

"They enjoy it, they don't mind, they love being petted and cuddled while its being done."

Gesture politics?

For Mr Harden, it is right that we explore whether it is cruel, and if there is a less cruel way to produce foie gras - although York's approach may be gesture politics - there are bigger fish to fry in animal cruelty in terms of the larger numbers of battery hens, or pigs.

"If as a foie gras goose you get a little cuddle, is that better than being a pig kept in filthy conditions on some farm somewhere?"

"But ethical production would be a good thing - in the same way as your average free range organic chicken, scratching around in woodland, watching neighbours when it wants to, tastes better than a battery hen being pecked to death by its neighbours in a small cage."

Either way, British consumers will be able to test it for themselves later this year - Mr Sousa says some outlets, possibly including Harrods, have put in orders. It will set buyers back about 23 Euro (£15) for 70g.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why is the plural of Goose, Geese? Yet the plural of Moose is Mooses, as opposed to Meese? ???

I don't like Foie Gras. Not the thought of where or how it has come to my plate, but the idea of eat another animals Liver... :sick:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Barrel of Fun said:
Why is the plural of Goose, Geese? Yet the plural of Moose is Mooses, as opposed to Meese? ???

I don't like Foie Gras. Not the thought of where or how it has come to my plate, but the idea of eat another animals Liver... :sick:

Pate is good.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Geese deserve to be force fed for attacking me when I was 5.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Unethical though it is, foie gras is one of my favourite things, either the pate or the hardcore actual gristly, chewy liver itself. Gorgeous stuff.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Look at that...IRRESISTIBLE
terrine%20de%20foie%20gras.jpg

Last edited:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i love foie gras and have no problem eating it. it's artisan food produced small scale and there's a real "connection" between the producer selling his or her produce and the consumer going along to the market and buying it (largely so anyhow).

the hypocrisy of british eating habits is almost unbelievable when it's fine to eat shit meat produced by the likes of kev's former fast food outlet from chickens packed so closely together they have deformed legs and pasty bland meat but foie gras is a no-no

I agree with Commander, geese deserve everything they get the grumpy bastards. I also happen to enjoy foie gras on occasion, particularly with a cheeky little Chateau d'Yquem to wash it down with.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Barrel of Fun said:
......... but the idea of eat another animals Liver... :sick:
you mean you'd turn yer nose up at liver and bacon casserole :eek:

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Geese are evil creatures.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I don't like the idea of eating liver but it doesn't really bother me with pate.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Liver and bacon with creamy mash and thick gravy is one of the best meals EVER.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's the PISS that makes livers and kidneys so tasty.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
eastlondonseagull said:
Isn't that just the kidneys? ???
I thought livers had something to do with piss too - that's why alkies' always seem to conk out - but, not unusually, I haven't really got a clue at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here