Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Vs. Spain

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In just a weeks' time now.

So, we already beat the other Euro 08 finalist (Germany) a couple of months back, hows about the Winners? (Germany had 3 first teamers out, we had roughly 7 out, before anyone reminds me of that fact.)

I reckon this could be a cracker, not too fussed if we lose as long as we look competitive. No Rooney or Joe Cole so how would you line up?

Got to be a space for Carrick surely, on current form?
Will Ashley Young finally get a starting spot regularly?

I reckon a humdinger of a game and 2-1 to Spain.

I think if you line up England's and Spain's 11s, Spains on paper looks superior but Capello has distilled the "hard to beat" mentality back into the England side I believe (not unlike O'Neill at the ol' Villa).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Beckhams gotta get a run out, *apparently* (not actually watched him) he's been on FIRE at AC.
Left Wing will be Downing or Young, god only knows why Downing is still in the Prem he's shit. LB with be A(rse) Cole who I still concider to be worse than Wayne Bridge who I've always fancied...uuumm.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon stick Gerrard on the bench, Carrick in midfield with Young, Lampard and Barry.

Will he go with James considering Pompey are in free fall atm?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
-----------------Hart--------------
--Richards--Ferdinand--Terry-Cole-
--------Carrick------Barry---------
--Beckham----Gerrard----Young----
---------------Heskey-------------

I would possibly go with that, except I doubt he'll go with Richards as he doesn't seem a fan and Richards has had a disaster of a season so far.

Also Lampard in for Gerrard. Better team player. Agbonlahor on for one of the midfield in 2nd half if we're chasing the game also.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I would possibly go with that, except I doubt he'll go with Richards as he doesn't seem a fan and Richards has had a disaster of a season so far.

Also Lampard in for Gerrard. Better team player. Agbonlahor on for one of the midfield in 2nd half if we're chasing the game also.

Richards hasn't been that bad. Lampard was anonymous in the Liverpool game on sunday and I think Gerrard has to start ahead of him, despite his inconsistent international career thus far. As for Agbonlahor, one of the most over-rated players in the Premiership for me.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The midfield should see the most interesting selections. I'd like to see Heskey up on his own with Gerrard playing in an advanced position.

Summat like this..

Code:
                                 Heskey

Gerrard

Young             Barry           Carrick                   Beckham

Cole              Upson            Terry                     Neville

James

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Richards hasn't been that bad. Lampard was anonymous in the Liverpool game on sunday and I think Gerrard has to start ahead of him, despite his inconsistent international career thus far. As for Agbonlahor, one of the most over-rated players in the Premiership for me.

What I've seen of Richards this season has been very, very disappointing considering his previous potential. Capello has used him sparingly so far and this has been vindicated. He won't start on Weds.

Don't get me wrong, I think Agbonlahor is certainly limited and Young and Barry (and Milner) make him look good. That's why I'd play him with them. He is a sharp finisher on his day and with Barry, Young and Heskey around him it will be hard for him NOT to score.

Lampard has been fantastic all season. I see no reason why Gerrard has to start in front of him, as he has no positional discipline and would ruin the shape of the midfield by running around like a 12 year old. Lampard fits into a team better. We would not have played as openly against Croatia in the 4-1 if Gerrard was playing.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
What I've seen of Richards this season has been very, very disappointing considering his previous potential. Capello has used him sparingly so far and this has been vindicated. He won't start on Weds.

Don't get me wrong, I think Agbonlahor is certainly limited and Young and Barry (and Milner) make him look good. That's why I'd play him with them. He is a sharp finisher on his day and with Barry, Young and Heskey around him it will be hard for him NOT to score.

Lampard has been fantastic all season. I see no reason why Gerrard has to start in front of him, as he has no positional discipline and would ruin the shape of the midfield by running around like a 12 year old. Lampard fits into a team better. We would not have played as openly against Croatia in the 4-1 if Gerrard was playing.

With that last paragraph, any credibility that you may have had seems to have gone out of the window. Partially agree RE Agbonlahor.

In just a weeks' time now.

So, we already beat the other Euro 08 finalist (Germany) a couple of months back, hows about the Winners? (Germany had 3 first teamers out, we had roughly 7 out, before anyone reminds me of that fact.)

I reckon this could be a cracker, not too fussed if we lose as long as we look competitive. No Rooney or Joe Cole so how would you line up?

Got to be a space for Carrick surely, on current form?
Will Ashley Young finally get a starting spot regularly?

I reckon a humdinger of a game and 2-1 to Spain.

I think if you line up England's and Spain's 11s, Spains on paper looks superior but Capello has distilled the "hard to beat" mentality back into the England side I believe (not unlike O'Neill at the ol' Villa).

On paper, Spain might beat a lot of teams.
On their day, Brazil can lose to Bolivia and Ecuador, barely qualify for a World Cup but go on to win the sodding thing.
I do think that we over-rate some of these teams because of their foreign names that might fill with awe.
Now we've seen English players work abroad and become legends though, and many abroad barely know the first names of Beckham, and Owen, and Rooney - as their surnames are enough on their own.
Bet they'll be left wondering, when Agbonlahor spanks a couple into their net while they are wondering when Torres is going to get a pass.

It's up to Cappello, and with him as manager I'm way more confident than when we had Boring Irksome and/or Brolly Wally at the helm.
Spain are the ones that ought to be getting nervous.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With that last paragraph, any credibility that you may have had seems to have gone out of the window. Partially agree RE Agbonlahor.

What you on about? Gerrard came out and made that ridiculous statement just before the Croatia game that he's only played in his TRUE position 5 times for England. By that he means with other players doing the donkey work for him. He NEEDS a team built round him.

Lampard HAS been quality all season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On paper, Spain might beat a lot of teams.
On their day, Brazil can lose to Bolivia and Ecuador, barely qualify for a World Cup but go on to win the sodding thing.
I do think that we over-rate some of these teams because of their foreign names that might fill with awe.
Now we've seen English players work abroad and become legends though, and many abroad barely know the first names of Beckham, and Owen, and Rooney - as their surnames are enough on their own.
Bet they'll be left wondering, when Agbonlahor spanks a couple into their net while they are wondering when Torres is going to get a pass.

It's up to Cappello, and with him as manager I'm way more confident than when we had Boring Irksome and/or Brolly Wally at the helm.
Spain are the ones that ought to be getting nervous.

Good post. And is going with my point that it's not about the individual names in the team but the team itself. On paper if you just looked at the squads of Spurs and Villa man-to-man there isn't much to choose from. Yet Villa's team ethic is far better.

Another reason I wouldn't choose Gerrard. We have too many good midfielders to waste having to use 2 defensive mids just to accomodate him.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Gerrard has been player of the year so far in the Premiership. Has to play.

Lot of injuries at the mo. Spain win (again) me thinks.

Re; Joe Hart it is a shame to see yet another promising English goalie being forced to rot on the bench yet again now Given's arrived. Another example of Citeh trying to build a Harlem Globetrotters Allstar XI. Stupid signing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gerrard has been player of the year so far in the Premiership. Has to play.

Hasn't won a single Player of the Month award has he? Ashley Young has won THREE. Plus Carrick has been playing out of his skin lately, as has Lampard. So Gerrard is 4th best midfielder, at best.

Anyway, you don't play the best players, you play the best TEAM. Gerrard is not a team player, this has been made obvious time and again.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
How can you be so into International Friendlies, I couldn't think of anything more boring. The last Friendly I watched probably was Spain Away when SWP got abused. Now I just get bored of them.

Club before Country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here