Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v South Africa - 5th and final ODI - Trent Bridge

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Leading the series 2-1, World Number One ODI team England have won the toss and will bat.

England 1 Alastair Cook (capt), 2 Ian Bell, 3 Ravi Bopara, 4 Jonny Bairstow, 5 Eoin Morgan, 6 Craig Kieswetter (wkt), 7 Samit Patel, 8 Chris Woakes, 9 James Tredwell, 10 James Anderson, 11 Jade Dernbach

South Africa 1 Graeme Smith, 2 Hashim Amla, 3 Dean Elgar, 4 AB de Villiers (capt & wk), 5 JP Duminy, 6 Faf du Plessis, 7 Justin Ontong, 8 Wayne Parnell, 9 Robin Peterson, 10 Dale Steyn, 11 Morne Morkel

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England have brought in Jonny Bairstow for the injured Jonathan Trott, and Chris Woakes replaces Steven Finn.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It still baffles me Matt Prior is not in the ODI squad. Should be there on batting alone, but having him as a wicketkeeper batsman is a great thing that is stupid to turn down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It still baffles me Matt Prior is not in the ODI squad. Should be there on batting alone, but having him as a wicketkeeper batsman is a great thing that is stupid to turn down.

Kieswetter is a pretty good option as wicket-keeper batsman, to be fair, as evidenced by his THREE stumpings in the last ODI. Bairstow also capable of both roles.

Not that this precludes them from picking all three of them as batmen.

Prior should absolutely be in the ODI and the T20 squads.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
But I thought Ravi Bopara was the best batsman EVER.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Oh dear Ravi! He was already under pressure. On the Prior question, I'm quite happy for him to be available for us but it's hard on him. It seems to me that when he was in the I day team they made him open most of the time but Kieswetter is allowed to lounge in the middle-order.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Cricinfo: "Steyn is given a blow and on comes Wayne Parnell"

If you didn't understand cricket terminology that might come across quite badly.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

It is nuts isn't it. He is a better keeper than Kieswetter, a better bat than Kieswetter and is the England man with the gloves in the most important phase of the international game.

He could and maybe should open the batting with Cook (as Matt likes the ball coming on to him with the field in) and let Bell come in at 4 in a middle order position that he is used to.

Still good for the Sharks.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Some fine BATFLIDDERY going on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here