Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Hungary - How to greet the team?

How to greet England against Hungary

• Boo

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Minute of silence

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • The usual

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Manic applause

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A lot has been made of this in the press. What sort of welcome can England expect when they take to the pitch for the forthcoming friendly? This is assuming that we get the same starting lineup of lemons that we saw in South Africa.

Personally, I really fancy the thought of a minute's silence. I'm not sure if it unprecedented but it can't have happened much. Possibly not as negative as straight booing and arguably all more demonstrative. That said, it would be very hard (OK, impossible) to arrange and the FA would probably just play loud music to cover it up anyway.

Of course, if an entirely new squad lineup emerges then the poll is moot anyway, as I reckon most people would want to get behind them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally, I really fancy the thought of a minute's silence.

a minutes silence because no f**ker has bothered to turn up would be the best 'welcome.'

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Silence apart from if they score when it should be greeted with 10 seconds of pleasant applause. Booing won't achieve anything will hear that at every away ground in the country till about xmas

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Easy, nobody turn up, its only a pointless friendly anyway, I can't imagine many fans would get excited over it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Easy, nobody turn up, its only a pointless friendly anyway, I can't imagine many fans would get excited over it.

The trouble is it looked like the FA suckered quite a few people into buying before the World Cup on the dubious premise that we'd all want to "welcome England home".

I was listening to a chap on 5Live yesterday that had done just that and was mulling over what to do. He sure as hell wasn't going to waste the cash but wondered what an appropriate response would be seeing as how he was committed.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
a minutes silence because no f**ker has bothered to turn up would be the best 'welcome.'
Indeed, but sadly that isn't going to happen. We discussed this about a week ago and people ARE going to attend. Some are going because it's an 'event at Wembley' and it's therefore a chance to go to the 'new' ground. Some are going because it's (relatively) cheap for an international, and some, sadly, are going because they think that blindly handing over their money to the FA and watching any old dross is what they should do as 'loyal supporters'.

Personally I hope the team are applauded politely onto the pitch by the combination of corporate freebies, curious bystanders and complete mugs who'll make up the crowd. Booing won't help, we'll just go back to the stage when the players found the England shirt 'heavy'.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
It's unfair to call the people going mugs. Some are loyal fans who have been going for years and will follow the team through thick and thin. They'll want the cap for going along. I know cos I was one of them mugs, but I have had enough and shant be renewing my membership.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Assuming Capello comes to his senses and ditches all the overrated so-called Golden Generation anyway, there could be a load of new players involved, none of whom would be implicated in the summer failure and thus none of whom deserve booing.

If he picks Terry, Lampard, Gerrard etc, however, then do your worst.

Personally, I wouldn't pay to go to that game if you gave me £100 for the privilege.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
and some, sadly, are going because they think that blindly handing over their money to the FA and watching any old dross is what they should do as 'loyal supporters'.

Have you had the same attitude to season ticket holders at Withdean (Priestfield) for most of the last 20 years?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think the players already know what the fans think of their performance in the world cup. What's the point in booing your team, are they going to run onto the pitch and think 'blimey the fans are unhappy with our recent displays, better buck our ideas up for this match then boys'.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Assuming Capello comes to his senses and ditches all the overrated so-called Golden Generation anyway, there could be a load of new players involved, none of whom would be implicated in the summer failure and thus none of whom deserve booing.

If he picks Terry, Lampard, Gerrard etc, however, then do your worst.

Personally, I wouldn't pay to go to that game if you gave me £100 for the privilege.

is the correct answer, If Zamora makes his debut would any of us boo then ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't get the point of protesting, really. There are systematic problems with English football, and I don't think the current players or manager can do much about it at the moment. We need to teach our kids versatility on the football field, football smarts. We need our players able to play in different positions if they are needed to, and to do the job well (good martin samuel aritcle, another one). We also need to change focus so that winning the world cup representing your country is seen as the pinnacle of your career, not an obligation or favour that distracts from the commercial opportunities you get from being a champions league player/winner.

Is booing going to change that? Is silence going to change that? I very mjuch doubt it.

However, if you have bought a ticket and don't want to waste the money, why not go, and instead of taking your seat for kick off, stay out in the catering/bar areas (if there are TVs you can still watch the action on screens) and take your seats after 10/15 minutes.

Sure, that's usually what happens in the hospitality section, but a) this would be the whole ground, b) it would make it seem as if the business men and politicians (and some FA representatives) were on your side.

Last edited:

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Indeed, but sadly that isn't going to happen. We discussed this about a week ago and people ARE going to attend. Some are going because it's an 'event at Wembley' and it's therefore a chance to go to the 'new' ground. Some are going because it's (relatively) cheap for an international, and some, sadly, are going because they think that blindly handing over their money to the FA and watching any old dross is what they should do as 'loyal supporters'.

Personally I hope the team are applauded politely onto the pitch by the combination of corporate freebies, curious bystanders and complete mugs who'll make up the crowd. Booing won't help, we'll just go back to the stage when the players found the England shirt 'heavy'.

So anyone who goes to watch a team that has underachieved recently is a 'mug'? :wozza:

Remind me, why do you support Brighton & Hove Albion again?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given my tickets to a family member, will take the caps though and look forward to the euro qualifying campaign! Wales away :clap:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Have you had the same attitude to season ticket holders at Withdean (Priestfield) for most of the last 20 years?
And the latter years at the Goldstone ...

To be honest - it varies. I think there's a fine line between 'loyal fan' and 'mug punter' and at times with the Albion I've felt like both. However I DO think there's a time when witholding support is better than blindly attending; the Mansfield boycott springs to mind. Plus the Albion games at least had a purpose and weren't friendlies arranged simply to 'cash in' which is what the FA seemingly wanted to do here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Minute of silence to mourn the fact that some of our footballers get paid more a week than people who risk there lives for their country do in a year...:tosser:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So anyone who goes to watch a team that has underachieved recently is a 'mug'? :wozza:

Remind me, why do you support Brighton & Hove Albion again?
I refer you to the answer I gave to Drew. Can't be arsed to type basically the same thing again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here