Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Tactics / Formation

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
After watching the last few england games I'm still nowhere near convinced we are going to do well in the world cup. Is Sven going to persist with playing Englands 'best' players or actually play personell suited to a system?

Watching Owen in both the England B and Last nights game showed he is not even close to match fitness or sharpness. Perhaps more inportantly he also showed that he will struggle playing as a lone striker if we accomodate a holding midfielder.

I agree with Sven that should we play both Lampard and Gerrard (and expect club standard performances) a holding midfielder is essential. Nobody has shown the level of performance needed so far. Last night Carragher displayed the defensive side to the role perfectly, Hargreaves I hope we can forget about I am yet to see even an average performance from him. Carrick has clearly not convinced the manager and from the little i've seen I agree - far too sloppy in possession and not great at the defensive side.
Maybe Phil Neville would have been worth a go or even Hayden Mullins who looks to have perfected the role in an unselfish season with West Ham?

So against Jamaica I would like to see this side, form players in natural posistion and with 1 admittedly large experiment which might solve our problems and give us the formation capable of winning the world cup. England's holding midfielder: David Beckham, one of the quickest spotters and executors of a pass and a great competitor. He may not be a great tackler so not perfect for the role but I think he could prove better than the other options. Of course this also means we can accomodate Lennon - a player full of confidence who looks like a world beater.

GK:Robinson
LB:Cole
RB: Neville.
CB: Ferdinand
CB: Terry:
LM: Cole
RM: Lennon
DM: Beckham
AM: Lampard
AM: Gerrard
F: Crouch.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
y2dave said:
After watching the last few england games I'm still nowhere near convinced we are going to do well in the world cup. Is Sven going to persist with playing Englands 'best' players or actually play personell suited to a system?

Watching Owen in both the England B and Last nights game showed he is not even close to match fitness or sharpness. Perhaps more inportantly he also showed that he will struggle playing as a lone striker if we accomodate a holding midfielder.

I agree with Sven that should we play both Lampard and Gerrard (and expect club standard performances) a holding midfielder is essential. Nobody has shown the level of performance needed so far. Last night Carragher displayed the defensive side to the role perfectly, Hargreaves I hope we can forget about I am yet to see even an average performance from him. Carrick has clearly not convinced the manager and from the little i've seen I agree - far too sloppy in possession and not great at the defensive side.
Maybe Phil Neville would have been worth a go or even Hayden Mullins who looks to have perfected the role in an unselfish season with West Ham?

So against Jamaica I would like to see this side, form players in natural posistion and with 1 admittedly large experiment which might solve our problems and give us the formation capable of winning the world cup. England's holding midfielder: David Beckham, one of the quickest spotters and executors of a pass and a great competitor. He may not be a great tackler so not perfect for the role but I think he could prove better than the other options. Of course this also means we can accomodate Lennon - a player full of confidence who looks like a world beater.

GK:Robinson
LB:Cole
RB: Neville.
CB: Ferdinand
CB: Terry:
LM: Cole
RM: Lennon
DM: Beckham
AM: Lampard
AM: Gerrard
F: Crouch.

I quite like the look of that team although more for the passing ability of Beckham than his tackling. After last night I think we need Beckham on the right as the only way we look a real threat was from his right boot.

If we had more games then I would still try the above , I'd also try 4 4 2 with Crouch and Owen and obviously the holding role with Carrick.

If I picked the team for Parguay tomorrow I would prob go for 4 4 2 however against a better team we will need a holding player and I'd prob still plump for Carrick. I still cant commit to naming who to play lone striker though . Def sway towards crouch but very hard call that one

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
4-4-2 with a midfield diamond . . . Lampard holding behind Gerrard pushing forward

Joe Cole on the left Beckham on the right

who ever can run and kick on the day up front !

back 4 . . . .Glenys Neville, Terry, anyone but Rio, and Ashley COle (by default unfortunately)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Fragmented Badger said:
Drop Lampard - every problem is solved.
Except the problem of having Steven Gerrard instead of Frank Lampard.

Drop Gerrard and all your problems are solved. :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Going into a World Cup without Owen and Rooney up front is absolute suicide im afraid.

Keep the faith with him, he will deliver when needed.

2 up front is the only way to go.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd play the team and formation that we started against Hungary, except I'd swap Carrick for Carragher.

If we are not already winning with half and hour to go we have great bench options in Lennon and Crouch. The stats show that Crouch has an amazing impact from the bench, so that's where I'd leave him for now.

If Rooney is fit I'd be inclined to sub Lampard and push the advanced Gerrard back into centre midfield with Carrick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here