Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

england squad to face wales and ghana

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
what does everyone think of the team

Squad in full (alphabetical by position)

Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart;

Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, John Terry, Kyle Walker;

Gareth Barry, Stewart Downing, Matthew Jarvis, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young;

Darren Bent, Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Matt Jarvis is the surprise choice. I would have liked to see Zamora in there but I guess he's not fully fit yet.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Don't know, don't care. I'm not trying to be all superior - just that my love for the national side has been on the wane for years and the debacle of the last world cup and behaviour/attitude of the current mob has killed off any lingering desire for us to succeed with them playing.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
IMO, its a shame Paul Robinson quit international football, as i still feel he's easily our best all round keeper. If you watch Blackburn on sky sports, or even snippetts on MOTD he always seems to have a great game, far more so than Green anyway.
Kyle Naughton's looked good recently, as has Jarvis so they both deserve a call up. But still, it looks an extremely weak squad.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Don't know, don't care. I'm not trying to be all superior - just that my love for the national side has been on the wane for years and the debacle of the last world cup and behaviour/attitude of the current mob has killed off any lingering desire for us to succeed with them playing.

This!

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I'd love to see Capello use Parker, Wilshere and Lampard in a 3 man midfield. Regardless of the strength on paper, that squad could be more functional than any other we've seen in a while. Well, if Adam Johnson was in there.

It's a shame, but I think more and more people (myself included) feel like that. I have got to the stage where there is a certain apathy regarding the national team. Sure, if we go to a championship I will want them to do well, but I just can't get over enthused by them. If someone had said to me 10-15 years ago that I would care more about the England rugby team than the football team I would have thought them mad.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I do agree with the comments above about losing interest with the current lot having done nothing of note for 10 years, However. I do think we are just starting to see a new lot of youngsters with a bit of promise, not least Jack Wilshere who is a pleasure to watch. Already one of Arsenal's most important players in my opinion, he is quality.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
We've got a lot of good young players coming through. It's just the next 2/3 years that we're going to be in transition whilst they break through to their respective first teams and I think Gerrard, Lampard et all have enough left in them to at least qualify for Euro 2012.

A big issue to me is why all our talented young players seem to be such wankers?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Agreed. Albion is a must. If Im not there, then I'm sitting next to the talking radio machine, but England, if I miss it I miss it. Don't care for the national side anymore. Maybe when they finally give Harry the job, he might get people interested again, but FFS the ENGLAND manager can barely speak English. Mmmm wonder why things are such a mess

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've basically lost interest in the England squad. But here is my tuppence worth;

We need to sign a manager on a long term contract. Until we give someone an incentive to build for the future, we are always going to see the same dross being selected. I honestly don't think we gain anything by selecting the likes of Terry. Is he really going to be around at the next World Cup? No. We need to write off the next few years and build for the future. Only then, in my opinion, will we have a national team worth supporting.

One thing that our egg-shaped Rugby Union brothers have taught us this last 6 weeks is that building for the future does not have to be boring.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've basically lost interest in the England squad. But here is my tuppence worth;

We need to sign a manager on a long term contract. Until we give someone an incentive to build for the future, we are always going to see the same dross being selected. I honestly don't think we gain anything by selecting the likes of Terry. Is he really going to be around at the next World Cup? No. We need to write off the next few years and build for the future. Only then, in my opinion, will we have a national team worth supporting.

One thing that our egg-shaped Rugby Union brothers have taught us this last 6 weeks is that building for the future does not have to be boring.

Agree, I know its slightly different in the Rugby as there is no Euro's to partake in but the we always seem to produce a team in cycles in time for the world cup, could the FA not learn something from this?

The rugby team was pretty dire a couple of years ago while we were trying out players to see if they could make it and now we have a semi decent chance in New Zealand.

I think it was Dawson that said that Tour of Hell in 2001? was the best thing to have happened to the England that went on to win the WC in 2003 as it showed up the players that were not up to it and brought out players like Wilkinson, problem is that people wouldnt accept us losing a few international games in the name of progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here