Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England 'set for British manager'

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One of the committee members who will choose the next England boss says the man who replaces Sven-Goran Eriksson should be British.

Premier League chairman Dave Richards is a member of the three-man panel that will find Eriksson's successor.

"It's time for a British boss, somebody who understands our passion, belief and commitment. There's no distinction between English and British."

Richards' statement seems to hint at former Celtic manager Martin O'Neill.

Northern Irishman O'Neill has been widely reported as the FA's choice to succeed Swede Eriksson.

Richards, Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick and international committee chairman Noel White will present a list of candidates to a full meeting of the FA board on 27 February.

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce, Charlton's Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce of Bolton are also said to be in the running.

"We are the biggest nation in the world that plays this game and we want someone who can really move us on," Richards added.

"I don't know yet who it will be. But everyone keeps telling me there are all these coaches available. Well, now we will sit down and find out just who is up for the job.

"We have still got a bit of time. We are going to go and win the World Cup first."

Eriksson will stand down as England manager following this year's World Cup finals in Germany.

Dutchman Guus Hiddink and Brazilian coach Luis Felipe Scolari have also been mentioned as possible replacements.

Hiddink is currently in charge of PSV Eindhoven and the Australia national team while Scolari will stand down as Portugal manager after the World Cup.

So only 'British' managers have passion and belief do they? f*** who's most qualified and stuff, as long as they like shouting.....

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Is O'Neil really that good? ???

Yes mate, hes is the modern day Mr Motivator !!

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
I like O'Neill and lot and believe he is the best of british but we are making a big mistake if Hiddink doesn't get it.

How about Hiddink with Pearce as his assistant ?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
They could be sticking all their eggs in one O'Neill shaped basket. If he turns them down there are no other British managers that I'd want in charge, and the FA would then have to do some serious back tracking to go and the the best man for the job, Hiddink.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
D'Angelo Saxon said:
What has he really done though. Managed Celtic for a bit? Wow.

and Leicester to mention, both clubs have done nothing reaching the success they had when O'Neil was at the helm..

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd have no objection to O'Neill being appointed, although he never seems to get the "long ball merchant" argument levelled at him that Allardyce always does on here.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
REDLAND said:
and Leicester to mention, both clubs have done nothing reaching the success they had when O'Neil was at the helm..

Not taking anything away from Mr O'Neill but if you aren't successful in Scotland in charge of one of the Auld Firm teams then you've failed miserably. I'll give you Leicester, he did well there and put together a wicked side. Hiddink is the man for the job.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think its absolutey right that Martin absolutely O'Neil is absolutely the right man for the job. An absolutely spot on decision.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
allardyce just gets on my nerves. im not sure whether he could get the same success with such a strong side. it is fair to say that bolton do hoof the ball up to kevin davies an awful lot. many football managers have said this and they're obviously not stupid. allardyce would give the passion, but i think we need to play with our heads a bit more than our hearts, although with sven, we've usually had to make do without both:shootself

hiddinks the man:rave:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Unless he takes the Newcastle job.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Not taking anything away from Mr O'Neill but if you aren't successful in Scotland in charge of one of the Auld Firm teams then you've failed miserably. I'll give you Leicester, he did well there and put together a wicked side. Hiddink is the man for the job.

I was thinking more about how Celtic performed in the champions league under O'Neil, there were a real force in Europe, even the season after Larsson left drawing away to Baraca was a brilliant result last season. and look whats happend to them now !! the Clyde game showed it all, they went 1 nill down under O'Neil and in the second half scored 3 goals, no such fight was witnessed under Strackens management !!

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I want a man called GOOSE in charge of England.

Maybe one of the English coaches like Pearce or Curbs could work with him to get to know the job?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Woody the Seagull said:
allardyce just gets on my nerves. im not sure whether he could get the same success with such a strong side. it is fair to say that bolton do hoof the ball up to kevin davies an awful lot. many football managers have said this and they're obviously not stupid. allardyce would give the passion, but i think we need to play with our heads a bit more than our hearts, although with sven, we've usually had to make do without both:shootself

hiddinks the man:rave:

True the England managers job is all about tactics and motovation, I don't think theres anyone better than O'Neil for this !!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Woody the Seagull said:
another thing about o'neill, has anyone spoken to him about his wife yet? he is the only one who knows if he is coming back into football, so don't get your hopes up

He said last week she is on the road to recovery now

O'Neill would be a great England manager but I don't think he will take it because of his wife. If that is the case Hiddink is by far the next best man for the job. Please don't let Big Sam anywhere near the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here