Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

empty grounds

broadwaterseagull

Mar 20, 2010
worthing
i was watching the league show on bbc1 this evening and wondered at the amount of empty grounds and thought is it the weather or the prices for a family day out watching footie, what do others think????. good game BHA, really enjoyed the radio coverage of the game today.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Collymore was debating this on Talksport, saying that only one Premiership game yesterday was sold out, tickets available for all the rest.

Find it hard to believe, but they were saying a top end Leeds Utd season ticket costs £623!

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Two words: Glory supporters

Completley disagree...

Its not just the cost of the actual ticket its all the other things that go with it.

Petrol costs, food costs, few beers etc all add up.

Fans have had enough of paying these stupid wage demands of players.

How can players in divisions 3-4 etc be getting paid 2-3k A WEEK... that is just wrong.

I think the 2 words that sum it up best are

greedy footballers

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Completley disagree...

Its not just the cost of the actual ticket its all the other things that go with it.

How can players in divisions 3-4 etc be getting paid 2-3k A WEEK... that is just wrong.

greedy footballers

Couldn't agree more. £43 to watch Vila v Wolves yesterday.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Completley disagree...

greedy footballers

But still alot of these Premiershit clubs are at least 3/4 full. Manure, chel, ars and liv don't have a problem filling theirs because people choose to boycott their home town club to support them. Admittedly they prob don't go to many games (some none), but alot of people choose to support the bigger club down the road, like we saw at Oldham game. So there are people that can afford to watch their home town, they just choose to pay a bit more and watch premiershit.

But, the really stupid thing is how cheap it is to watch sport every where else in the world. 1st day of the Ashes Sydney test was £15. Watched a Borussia Dortmund game where standing is 14(euros)! It is the prices that are crazy here, considering the amount of money that Sky pays to televise football. I doubt whether most gate receipts touch the wage bill.

Reduce the prices, fill the grounds, be better other revenue streams

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
results, results results, and some attractive entertaining football at an affordable price

BBC Sport - Football - Darlington part company with manager Steve Staunton

Darlington part company with manager Steve Staunton

Staunton failed to steer the Quakers away from the drop zone
League Two bottom club Darlington have parted company with boss Steve Staunton after only five months in charge.

The former Republic of Ireland manager achieved only four wins in 23 league games, leaving the club 19 points adrift of safety.

Staunton was relieved of his duties after a 2-1 home defeat by Barnet was played in front of a record low crowd of 1,463 at the Northern Echo Arena.

Craig Liddle and Neil Maddison are in temporary charge of the team.

Darlington chairman Raj Singh said: "It is with regret that we're having to part company with another manager during what has been a forgettable season but we felt we were left with no alternative after yesterday (Saturday).

"It was a disappointing performance and result, but the most disappointing side was the attendance - a record low crowd told us a lot.
"We desperately wanted things to work out for Steve but it clearly was not to be and we will have to take stock again. Our search for a new manager starts straight away."

Staunton was appointed in October as a replacement for Colin Todd, with the club already eight points adrift after 11 games.

It was the former Liverpool defender's first job as a club manager, following a disastrous spell in charge of Ireland and a stint as Gary McAllister's assistant at Leeds United.

Also never appoint a former Liverpool player as manager.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
results, results results, and some attractive entertaining football at an affordable price

BBC Sport - Football - Darlington part company with manager Steve Staunton

Darlington part company with manager Steve Staunton

Staunton failed to steer the Quakers away from the drop zone
League Two bottom club Darlington have parted company with boss Steve Staunton after only five months in charge.

The former Republic of Ireland manager achieved only four wins in 23 league games, leaving the club 19 points adrift of safety.

Staunton was relieved of his duties after a 2-1 home defeat by Barnet was played in front of a record low crowd of 1,463 at the Northern Echo Arena.

Craig Liddle and Neil Maddison are in temporary charge of the team.

Darlington chairman Raj Singh said: "It is with regret that we're having to part company with another manager during what has been a forgettable season but we felt we were left with no alternative after yesterday (Saturday).

"It was a disappointing performance and result, but the most disappointing side was the attendance - a record low crowd told us a lot.
"We desperately wanted things to work out for Steve but it clearly was not to be and we will have to take stock again. Our search for a new manager starts straight away."

Staunton was appointed in October as a replacement for Colin Todd, with the club already eight points adrift after 11 games.

It was the former Liverpool defender's first job as a club manager, following a disastrous spell in charge of Ireland and a stint as Gary McAllister's assistant at Leeds United.

Also never appoint a former Liverpool player as manager.

Great Escape merchant Russell Slade Next?

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Chelsea had loads of empty seats in the away end today. Surely they should be filling away ends like that going for the league. I know its Sunday/ a long trip etc but the other top two would have filled it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But still alot of these Premiershit clubs are at least 3/4 full. Manure, chel, ars and liv don't have a problem filling theirs because people choose to boycott their home town club to support them. Admittedly they prob don't go to many games (some none), but alot of people choose to support the bigger club down the road, like we saw at Oldham game. So there are people that can afford to watch their home town, they just choose to pay a bit more and watch premiershit.
All true enough, however Mr Chariot was correct to pull you up on your original, somewhat glib, comment that empty grounds were all due to 'glory supporters'. Even at Withdean there are myriad reason why there are empty seats - it's not solely because some people in Sussex choose to pay a bit more and watch a Premiership club.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
All true enough, however Mr Chariot was correct to pull you up on your original, somewhat glib, comment that empty grounds were all due to 'glory supporters'. Even at Withdean there are myriad reason why there are empty seats - it's not solely because some people in Sussex choose to pay a bit more and watch a Premiership club.

Indeed, believe it or not some people NOT in Sussex choose to pay to be season ticket holders at Withdean!! Doesn't mean they can get to every match though...

:thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Football has just got ridiculously expensive at a time when we have never had MORE games live on TV. Combine those two things and you get low crowds, especially when money is tight in homes all over the country.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Completley disagree...

greedy footballers

I think not being able to decide to go to a game at the last minute must lower gates.

Far too much football on telly devalues the live product.

Too many other pressures (on men particularly) to do other things at the weekend that weren't there 30 years ago.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
MK Dons V Southampton had an attendance of just 10,570 which is a poor attendance considering MK Dons are 6th in the league and still have a good chance of making the play off.
How many of these where Southampton?

If we had Falmer and where in the same position as MK Dons, I reckon we would have had 15,000 - 20,000 at this match.

Looks like to me MK Dons are also glory supporters. Stadium on a plate, have not experienced bad times.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
MK Dons V Southampton had an attendance of just 10,570 which is a poor attendance considering MK Dons are 6th in the league and still have a good chance of making the play off.
How many of these where Southampton?

If we had Falmer and where in the same position as MK Dons, I reckon we would have had 15,000 - 20,000 at this match.

Looks like to me MK Dons are also glory supporters. Stadium on a plate, have not experienced bad times.

Would we really though? I hope you are right but there will still be plenty of Albion fans that just can't afford to go that often, myself included.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
agree with most of the points on here.

For the Tranmere game Sat we have got 2 adults and 2 kids for £19.50 - you had to collect tokens from the Sun?! Anyone else done it?

It was on the Seagulls site - it's meant to be a way of encouraging people to football league grounds - but they should just permanantly lower prices - £15 an adult ticket for any game in the football league - and some £10 or even £5 for special deals...

And surely all clubs should give LOADS offree tickets to schools every game - look at the likes of Wigan and Bolton -never full so surely give kids and their parents freebies and the gates go up and hopefully they go again...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here