Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Email 'from Halifax'

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The other day I got an email from Halifax - it said that someone had tried (and failed) to guess my account password multiple times.

Doesn't sound overly strange? Well I don't have a Halifax account to my knowing...
The email contained a link but I didn't want to click it in case of any nasties.
Just thought I'd let you all know so you think twice before clicking a link :)

Anyone else had anything suspicious sent to them lately? (Cue the penis enlargement emails)

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Had one from Barclays ages ago

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
howard-halifax-advert.jpg

"YOU BEEN HACKED, BRO"

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I get them, all from supposed banks / building societys, none of which I have an account with, I just reply asking them if they need my pin number, password and my mothers maiden name to make it easier for them, I never get any reply.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I had one supposedly from BT earlier this week asking me to confirm my bank details.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The other day I got an email from Halifax - it said that someone had tried (and failed) to guess my account password multiple times.

Doesn't sound overly strange? Well I don't have a Halifax account to my knowing...
The email contained a link but I didn't want to click it in case of any nasties.
Just thought I'd let you all know so you think twice before clicking a link :)

Anyone else had anything suspicious sent to them lately? (Cue the penis enlargement emails)

Get them all the time. Known as phishing. Amazingly a lot of people do fall for it.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Get them all the time. Known as phishing. Amazingly a lot of people do fall for it.

I've heard of the term before, but never really thought how many people would fall for it until I got one. Probably anyone with a Halifax account...

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Fwd to security@hbosplc & change the password of your e-mail & your online banking, just incase.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've heard of the term before, but never really thought how many people would fall for it until I got one. Probably anyone with a Halifax account...

It is not just Halifax. These con artists try it on all banks. They just hope to strike lucky now and again. A bank will never ask you for your details.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
I got locked out of my account the other day trying to log in a little bit under the influence. Then I realised I had my login slightly wrong. Sorry someone.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Soon, you will all convince me that the gazillions of dollars I have access to in Nigerian bank accounts isnt for real....stop it...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Somebody goes to the trouble to warn you of a security issue and you haven`t the decency to open the link and reply.

Tchh

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
They try by phone as well,saying things like they are the security dept of .....bank and an unusual transaction has taken place in Newcastle to the amount of £455,they then ask you to confirm details and then suggest you change your security details. Later on there appears on your bank statement of £455....after they have phoned you....good job I had a refs whistle by the phone...it really hurts their ears!!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Anybody who clicks a link from an email is an idiot TBH.

Likewise so is anybody who sends emails to everybody in their inbox after receiving an email and being told to do it without going onto google first - the latest one is about the card through the door letting you to ring a premium number.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here