Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elphick to start tonight?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Rumour has it that Gary Elphick is going to get his first start tonight.

Now this may mean playing 5 at the back, or it may mean Reid or McShane moving into midfield, or it may be bollocks.

But it would be good to have another local lad in the team, and some height.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
fatboy said:
it may mean McShane moving into midfield,

Maybe Insider did pass on Normandy Seagulls tip to McGhee, after all wasn't it someone on NSC who suggested Virgo as a makeshift forward before it happened? :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
fatboy said:
Rumour has it that Gary Elphick is going to get his first start tonight.

Now this may mean playing 5 at the back, or it may mean Reid or McShane moving into midfield, or it may be bollocks.

But it would be good to have another local lad in the team, and some height.
I reckon it'll mean 5 at the back, 4 in midfield and CKR on his own up front looking bored.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
good news, we may be able to defend and keep it under 5

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
If it's 5 at the back it allows Butters to try and dominate in the air and with the pace of Mcshane and Elphick we shouldn't have to drop too deep. It can also solve the problem in midfield by making it a 3, hopefully Hammond, Carole and Frutos.

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
y2dave said:
If it's 5 at the back it allows Butters to try and dominate in the air and with the pace of Mcshane and Elphick we shouldn't have to drop too deep. It can also solve the problem in midfield by making it a 3, hopefully Hammond, Carole and Frutos.

That sounds good to me with CKR and either Jake or Leon up front

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
y2dave said:

But by having only one ball winner in there could mean that the midfield is completely over run.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
and by playing one man up front on his own we are relying on the midfield to get up and support the striker - Hammond can do this job but his forms not that good and if leon plays out wide he is gonna struggle to get into goal scoring positions.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Uncle Buck said:
But by having only one ball winner in there could mean that the midfield is completely over run.

our midfield over run...that never happens does it !!

if we dont compete in the middle of the park the defence will be under constant pressure

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Uncle Buck said:
So do you play a 3 man midfield that will generally kick people and hope to sneak a goal?

I wouldnt but I have no solution to the problem....I suppose its better than a four with Jarrett and Carole who dont tackle

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Uncle Buck said:
I guess you could chuck Mayo in at left wing back, Hart on the right and then play a midfield of Reid, Carpenter and Hammond, although Oatway will be bound to feature somewhere....

thats fair enough ...Carpenters doubtful ..so unfortunately Oatway

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
y2dave said:

sorry had to chuckle at a part of that...

the pace of Gary Elphick...

nearly choked on my cereal...

granted hes a good defender but i have never known Elphick to be known for his pace....

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
RonnieO'Sullivan said:

granted hes a good defender but i have never known Elphick to be known for his pace....

But he is strong and has more height than El-Abd and McShane.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
RonnieO'Sullivan said:

I've seen Elphick several time in the reserves, he seems fairly quick and athletic and was not exposed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here