Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elphick awarded one year extension

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Elphick gets extra time From The Argus)

Sounds like a really nice gesture from the club for someone who has been a great servant to us and came through our youth team.

However, can't help thinking that regardless of what league we're in next year, he'll struggle to make the team. Would've thought it would be better to give him the type of offer Navs had, to train over preseason and see how things go from there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Pleased for Tommy after losing a season to an oafish challenge in a meaningless game he must be mightily relieved. Remember at the time of the injury he was first choice at CB so I do not think the club have any problem with his ability.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I am willing to bet Elphick is on less money than Navarro and is at a totally different stage of his career. A three month deal was the right decision for Navarro (and for us with Kishishev retiring and Dicker's injury) and gave him the incentive to work hard to hold down a first team place in a competitive squad.

Elphick won't need that incentive but it will, as you point out, take him longer to force his way back in. On that basis a year is fair enough. Wouldn't be surprised to see him out on loan as soon as he regains full match fitness.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pleased for Tommy after losing a season to an oafish challenge in a meaningless game he must be mightily relieved. Remember at the time of the injury he was first choice at CB so I do not think the club have any problem with his ability.

What oafish challenge was that?

Nobody within 5 yards of him.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Very very pleased for Tommy. He's clearly had an awful year what with the injury being compounded by a relapse and the shambles around the police naming and shaming.

His conduct throughout has been exemplarary and he's a lesson on how to be a model pro. The comments Dicker made about his support only reinforce him value as a top pro.

Whether he's Championship standard remains to be seen but Dunk may be off in the summer so there's every possibility he'll get game time.

Oddly, this is the contract news I'm most pleased about.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think sometimes on NSC we underestimate the importance of having long-term players in and around the squad. Dicker went out of his way to say how Elphick had helped him keep his spirits up when he was injured.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm glad for him. He had so much potential and looked a great player in the making. I don't think that is beyond him still. From the sidelines he really might have matured and really taken a step up thanks to just observing the seasoned and muscular pros in this division as to how and when to make the right decisions as a centre back.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Elphick gets extra time From The Argus)

However, can't help thinking that regardless of what league we're in next year, he'll struggle to make the team. Would've thought it would be better to give him the type of offer Navs had, to train over preseason and see how things go from there.

Just opened this thread to see how many posts it would take for someone to start slagging off another of our players, before he has had a chance to kick a ball after injury.

Wake up we are not bloody Portsmouth and can afford to pay more than 13 players.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Could be like having a new signing next season, takes some mental strength to get through, just look at Navarro and how he has come back. Cannot wait to see Tommy running out at the AMEX in the blue and white stripes.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just opened this thread to see how many posts it would take for someone to start slagging off another of our players, before he has had a chance to kick a ball after injury.

Wake up we are not bloody Portsmouth and can afford to pay more than 13 players.

Hmmmm looks like an opinion to me, as opposed to your version?

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
He was second choice in league 1, don't see how he'll ever get in the team especially after being out for a year. But fair play to the club he deserves an opportunity.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

How am I slagging him off? I merely said that, with the competition we have at CB now (not including the youngsters coming through) and at a level he's not really played at before, I think he'll struggle to make the team.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
How am I slagging him off? I merely said that, with the competition we have at CB now (not including the youngsters coming through) and at a level he's not really played at before, I think he'll struggle to make the team.

Indeed. Not an unreasonable view point at all. Greer, El-Abd and Dunk are all ahead of him in the pecking order IMO. Right decision from the club though. Deserves a chance to prove himself at this level.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How may centre backs have we used this year ? Six or Seven ? Yet it is an act of charity that we offer a year's contract to someone who has played well over 100 games in that position for the club and at 24 has plenty of time to recover from a serious injury and progress with his career ? The club is no longer run on a Withdean shoestring and I see nothing to criticise in the club offering Tommy a years contract. He will add to the squad and I wish him the best of luck in winning back a starting place in the side.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. Not an unreasonable view point at all. Greer, El-Abd and Dunk are all ahead of him in the pecking order IMO. Right decision from the club though. Deserves a chance to prove himself at this level.

Well said. Those 3 are well ahead of him in ability & performances. The defence, even last year, was always more shaky with him, unfortunately.
Grant Hall looks fantastic too.
A one year deal to prove himself and reward the local & loyal Tommy feels about right.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
The club don't want to have spent time and money getting a player fit only to leave on a free transfer.

This way they get him fit and, as under contract (he's not going to be on massive wages), can sell him on (assuming he can't make the 1st team)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Further proof, if it were needed, that Brighton and Hove Albion is a professionally run club. He might have a spell out on loan to get some game time, but by giving him the full year it gives him plenty of time to get his game back and gives us another experienced option in case of injuries or a dip in form by any of the current centre backs. Not to mention cover for suspensions, who knows when Greer will punch someone again!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here