Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elphick according to Steve Claridge

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Scouting report: Tommy Elphick, Brighton and Hove Albion
Brighton's Tommy Elphick has good strength, confidence on the ball and, most importantly, the ability to read the game

It was not the greatest start to a game by one of the players I've been to watch. Tommy Elphick began by getting too close to his opponent on the edge of the 18-yard box, was rolled and then lucky not to concede a dangerous cross.

This was followed by him losing the Leyton Orient man he was supposed to be marking from a corner, which could have proved costly had the delivery been right. Then, to compound his early misery, he chested a ball down and just whacked a half-volley forward to no one in particular, not even giving his team-mates a chance to chase the ball down as it rolled out of play in a move more reminiscent of a rugby game.

Thankfully things got much better for Elphick as he hardly put a foot wrong from then on, regaining his composure to such an extent that in the end he was the standout defender in the game, especially in the Brighton defence. This was encapsulated in one particular incident when, having to judge where a dangerous cross would be played to, he was the only one - and this included his fellow defenders and Orient's two forwards - to position himself in exactly the right place to clear. Everybody else had guessed wrong.

Elphick has good strength and against Orient he won everything in the air, bullying a smaller centre-forward by putting his arm over his shoulders and not allowing him to jump. As the game wore on he became more confident with the ball as well, getting it down and finding team-mates or leaving the ball in corners, turning defenders and causing them to chase back and kick the ball out under pressure.

At all times he stayed on his feet, particularly in one-against-ones, so well that in one instance he actually took the ball off the man who was running at him, such was the difficulty his opponents had in trying to get round him.

He started to win the ball in front of the centre-forward - even when he was second-favourite to get to the ball, he still affected the man in possession.

Furthermore, he seemed to be the one who made the right decisions in the game, unlike his fellow centre-half never losing his man, and was quick to identify situations that needed addressing, either staying with his opponent or releasing himself to close the ball down.

He's not the sort who looks for others to do his job for him and his pace and strength meant that he rarely needed cover. Because of this he wasn't afraid - unlike most centre-halves - to follow his man, even into wide positions, not blindly but when the opponent posed an obvious risk. Many centre-halves don't like being pulled out of the centre.

Elphick has progressed through the youth ranks at Brighton where he made his debut in April 2007 against Doncaster Rovers, and such was his impact in his first year he was named player of the season. As you're probably aware, I don't always agree with fans but on this occasion I think the Brighton supporters' appraisal is spot-on.
How he rates

Age 21

Born Brighton

Position Defender

Height 5ft 11in

Weight 11st 7lb

From Youth team

Heading 9/10

Tackling 8/10

Passing 8/10

Pace 8/10

Strength 8/10

Team responsibility 9/10

Awareness 8/10

Valuation £400,000

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
I think he got it spot on, apart from the mark for Pace and Passing, which I think is slightly generous.

Great report but which Orient game was it? League or JPT??

Got to be JPT I would have thought due to the article being published last night.

I love the dig at Elphicks Centre back partner, bet that will go down well on the training ground!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I would give him no more than a 6 for his passing. Unfortunately, the aimless hoof that Claridge alludes to usually occurs more frequently than once a game. If he could sort out this part of his game I reckon he could be a very good Championship level defender - maybe even Prem.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree with above. Nearer Passing 6, Pace 7, but the rest is about right

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think he gave Dean Hammond a 9 for pace! My theory is that he judges against how quick he was rather than how quick quick people are.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Claridge has written previous reports on Hammond and Jake Robinson which were also good I recall.

To hear Claridge speak you'd think he's not too bright at all (maybe partly the Pompey accent) but in print he's thoughtful -and mostly accurate

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Would we be happy with 400,000 if he were to leave?

Absolutely - assuming it could be reinvested in the playing squad. It's probably about what he's worth, but 400k in the coffers for bringing in a quality central midfielder would be very welcome.

You have got to be joking.

This club needs the youth system to provide us with players and having lost Lynch we need to keep Elphick. As for investing in a 'quality central midfielder' who would you suggest? We are supposed to be swarming with them with Savage the latest?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
You have got to be joking.

This club needs the youth system to provide us with players and having lost Lynch we need to keep Elphick. As for investing in a 'quality central midfielder' who would you suggest? We are supposed to be swarming with them with Savage the latest?

Too right we need the youth system, but the harsh reality is that for many years we have needed it to keep ourselves afloat financially and to invest in other parts of the team. Don't get me wrong, in a perfect world I'd love nothing more than to keep Elphick and Lynch, but as we don't have any cash to improve the team in other areas, and as we do actually have decent cover at centre back, as long as the offer is a good one it makes sense to take it.

Savage is only here for a month, he's 34, wants to live in the North and is clearly not the long-term answer. Livermore's performances have been under-whelming, and Thomson overall is disappointing too. We badly need somebody who can make a defence-splitting pass and can pop up with a goal or two. Someone like Sidwell (promising youth teamer with a premiership club) would fit the bill. I reckon c150k on Anyinsah would be money well spent too if he wanted to stay here.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The ratings were a bit inflated, but good overall, pretty perceptive. I don't think he particularly slow and his Bobby Moore'esque challenges make up for being a little short of pace.

What we need is a central defender that compliments him - someone with an extra yard of pace, slightly better on the ball and perhaps left footed. There's a young lad at Forest that fits the bill...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say I can't stand listening to Claridge on the radio as he seems to have a high opinion of his own opinion all the time. He regular dismisses any opinion from anyone who hasn't 'played at a professional level' as if it is some select club who are the only ones entitled to comment on themselves. Well pardon me but most journalists haven't played the professional game and some of them (probably not enough) write great articles about the beautiful game (Paul Hayward for example). There are also a lot of fans who watch a lot of games who can be quite articulate when analysing games. Equally, there are some fans who have watched football for donkeys years and still don't know a thoroughbred from a ass when it comes to players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here