Electoral reform : Yes or No?

PR or FPTP?

• PR

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • First Past The Post

Votes: 17 28.3%

• Total voters

larus

OK, we have a hung parliament. So, who would like see a change to the voting system and coalitions/horse-trading, or stick with the First Past The Post system. For me, I don't want the instability of Israel/Italy and regular elections, and prefer a government which can implement it's policies.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
has to be pr...the lib dems only got 58 seats with 24% of the vote and liebour got 260 seats wih 28%

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reform to what though? in principle there seems to be something amiss in the voting. however the likelihood of returning a majority, and avoiding coalition and horse-trading, is much lower in other systems. are people willing to accept not having a majority government ever again, either Labour or Conservative (or Liberal or other in the future)? would the Liberals poll as well as they do if they weren't the protest vote, their core membership is substantially below that of the other two.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Not sure I can vote on this poll. What about STV, or PR and directly elected MPs alongside each other as in Germany?

Both would be better that first past the post in my opinion.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
At least with PR the parties have to fight for every vote, at present there is little incentive for many people to turn out and vote because they know their opinion is worth absolutely nothing, this might actually help increase turn-out from an average of about 65%.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sorry but what does PR stand for?

Proportional Representation...seats are allocated based on the percentage of votes a party obtains. Based on a rough calculation the Lib Dems would have got around 156 seats with their 24% share of the vote, instead of the 57 that they did get.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is a false choice - there are lots and lots of different electoral systems. AMS, AV, AV+, STV should be offered as choices, especially as two are the preferred choice of two of the main three parties. Why does it have to a straight choice between FPTP and PR (and I take it you mean a pure PR list system)?

In these debates I find that critics of electoral reform are often being rather selective in their examples. Yes, there are some examples of unstable coalition governments. There are also examples of stable coalition governments too. But the bigger point is that adopting the same electoral system as another country won't necessarily mean the stability of UK government will mirror that of another country. Other factors inherent within a country's political culture and the cohesiveness of its society will probably have a bigger influence. I can't remember the name of the country but one country had a history of unstable government under PR, chose to adopt FPTP as it promised stability, and what happened? Yes, they still had unstable government.

Also, it is worth adding that politicians of different political parties work together all the time at the House of Commons and the House of Lords, on select committees, getting legislation through, not to mention having tea breaks and lunch together. Similarly, there is a sense that all political parties are coalitions of different opinions and ideas anyway.

Last edited:

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Proportional Representation...seats are allocated based on the percentage of votes a party obtains. Based on a rough calculation the Lib Dems would have got around 156 seats with their 24% share of the vote, instead of the 57 that they did get.

OK, sounds different. I'll sit on the fence with this one. I'm happy with the current system tbh. :thumbsup:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
PR would inevitably lead to a hung parliament every time and people are bitching and moaning about that.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think this poll shows the general level of public ignorance about voting systems. Indeed most Lib Dems who advocate a change have no idea.

As others have said, there are not just two alternatives, so where are all the other options?

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Proportional representation means muppets like the BNP's Mr Griffin will be represented in Westminster and there will always be a hung parliament. I don't see the point in giving idiots power unnecessarily (eg forcing the government to do deals with them and consequently pander to some of their demands).

Anyway the Tories will never agree to wholesale changes so this is effectively irrelevant.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Proportional representation means muppets like the BNP's Mr Griffin will be represented in Westminster and there will always be a hung parliament. I don't see the point in giving idiots power unnecessarily (eg forcing the government to do deals with them and consequently pander to some of their demands).

Anyway the Tories will never agree to wholesale changes so this is effectively irrelevant.

Can't have anything democratic. Government might have to listen

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Much as I despise their views, is it not democratic that the BNP voters have representation in government that reflects the percentage of their support?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
why isn't there a " Don't Know " option on this poll ? this is very unfair as my voice/vote can't be heard

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Much as I despise their views, is it not democratic that the BNP voters have representation in government that reflects the percentage of their support?

Not when the majority of voters can't stand them. Under stv, it is likely that the bnp would get no seats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here