Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-Abd 250th game/appreciation thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd forgotten all about that. When you see some unspeakably odious little shit like Luis Suarez rolling around clutching his shin in agony after another player has brushed against his foot, it makes you realise how NAILS El Abd is. Suarez would probably have passed out.

I think a few people viewing this thread might too!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The most astonishing player transformation I've seen in my years of watching us. From liability to rock solid over the course of 18 months. Last season was the making of him. Long may it continue.

Ya see, I don't strictly agree with that.

For me, Adam has been a decent player for quite a while before Gus turned up. It's just that the received wisdom among the fans was that El-Abd could be a liability (for a while in the early days, he was). I'd say he'd turned it around about three or four years ago. It wasn't until Gus stated that Adam was the best defender at the club that mass opinion changed almost overnight.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
To quote Warren Aspinall

"Hadram Hel Drubd has turned in to a top quality versatile defender in the last couple of years."

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Ya see, I don't strictly agree with that.

For me, Adam has been a decent player for quite a while before Gus turned up. It's just that the received wisdom among the fans was that El-Abd could be a liability (for a while in the early days, he was). I'd say he'd turned it around about three or four years ago. It wasn't until Gus stated that Adam was the best defender at the club that mass opinion changed almost overnight.

Agreed, Adam has been a decent traditional central defender for years... where the astonishing improvement has come under Gus' management is in his confidence on the ball, and in the accuracy and choice of passing.

* I still don't like seeing him play full back though.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I quite liked it when El Abd made a living as a defensive midfielder. He gave it his absolute everything and, for a while, was a demon in that position. I remember a thread on NSC at the time saying that Adam El Abd was the white Macalele.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
He was a good player well before Gus came to the club, however he used to have a tendency to produce an occassional moment of madness with a poor back pass etc. He has removed this from his game since Gus came.

I once overheard a conversation where Dean Wilkins was explaining why AEA was his first name on the team sheet. The reason being he gives '100% committment'.

I've met him at a couple of Whitehawk games, where he has been watching his brother, and he is a thoroughly decent bloke as well.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I love how he's a beast of a man yet he can be dramatic with the best of them :lol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This stat from the Argus says it all:

Albion have won three and drawn two of their five games with El-Abd at centre half and conceded only one goal.

One of the very first names on the teamsheet.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'd forgotten all about that. When you see some unspeakably odious little shit like Luis Suarez rolling around clutching his shin in agony after another player has brushed against his foot, it makes you realise how NAILS El Abd is. Suarez would probably have passed out.

Or that injury sustained at Southampton. Wasnt El Abd back literally in about two weeks!

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Fantastic player for Albion,I just cannot believe the improvement in his game over the time Gus took over.I have been lucky enough to meet him a couple of times and he is a top,top bloke.Much respect to the man and I hope he has another 250 games for us.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
LOVE this man, hopefully in a few years he'll be on of the Albion Legends on a poster outside the North Stand. :bowdown:

Adam%20el%20Abd.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here