Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Economy tyres

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Which tyres will give me the highest mileage per pound - an 'economy' brand or a premium brand?

Most peoples views on this tend to be heavily influenced by the millions spent on advertising by the premium brands, paid for, obviously, in the price of the tyre.

But given that (a) I drive a boring old car very carefully and (b) I'm very mean, which will give me the highest mileage per buck, as it were?

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
go for medium or high priced tyres - you get what you pay for. economy / remolds only last a few months....not worth it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Michelin will give you the best mileage every time, but a waste of money if tracking is out, or if your suspension is excessively worn or damaged. Also correct tyre pressures have a massive effect on tyre wear.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are car tyres the thing you want to scrimp on?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Cheap tyres have a lot of nylon in them, meaning a harder compound, meaning they don't handle well especially in the wet.
Expensive tyres have much much more rubber in them, meaning a softer compound, meaning much better handling, they stick to road !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cheap tyres have a lot of nylon in them, meaning a harder compound, meaning they don't handle well especially in the wet.
Expensive tyres have much much more rubber in them, meaning a softer compound, meaning much better handling, they stick to road !

however harder tyres last longer than soft. im not sure the hard/soft compound is as important in the wet as water dispersal from the tread pattern. and certainly, driving sensibly in the wet makes its acedemic, really only an issue for those that want to drive at the limits of condition/ability.

Hankook are supposed to be pretty good at the cheaper brand ranges and they are used by VW iirc, which is some endorsement. check Blackcircles they do great prices and fitting, or delivered and get local firm to fit (check the prices to see which works out better).

you really really dont want to scrimp on tyres, but that doesnt mean you need to buy overpriced overbranded ones either. i dont think you'll get decent long lasting tyres cheap anyway, so cheapest are a false economy.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Avoid anything with a name you can't pronounce. Which would actually rule Michelin out I guess...

Most cheap brands are cheap for a reason - they're shite. Ditchfinders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well yes. Yes they are.
Your tyres will last longer if you don't use the brakes, so you might as well lose them too.

What could possible go wrong.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You do indeed get what you pay for, and a large proportion of what you pay for the branded tyres goes into the advertising and marketing to convince you to that they are worth paying more for, rather than paying for a better product. All tyres must meet stringent safety standards.

There are all sorts of components in a car that are just as safety-critical as tyres, but no one gives a rats arse who manufactures the transistors in their anti-lock braking system, for example. By presenting images of children in the back of a car while Dad drives down the country road in the pouring rain, they successfully emotionally blackmail us into buying their brands. Largely hokum I suspect.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here