Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebay TOSSERS

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
How do these automatic last-minute bidding devices work then?

And why does every fucker seem to have one when I'm trying to get hold of a particularly elusive CD and think, with a minute to go, that I've got a chance?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
They only WIN because they are willing to pay MORE than you.

If you would have paid more, why not bid that high in the first place ??

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If there's something I want on eBay, I never bid until about 10 seconds or so to go. And do so manually.

No point bidding before then as you may only help to inflate the price.

And when you do bid, bid the maximum that you are willing to pay - not some halfway house. If you do really want something, why risk trying to oubid someone by 50p if you'd happily pay a tenner more to secure the item? Only lose an item because someone is prepared to pay more for it than you are yourself.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

I've no idea how some people do it, but I suspect broadband is a lethal weapon on eBay these days. I'm still on dial-up though, so I just crash in with my top bid as close to the end of the auction as I possibly can.

I did win an auction with one second to go last year, but that was complete fluke. I thought I was beaten by a last-minute bidder so I waded in with another bid and it must've registered right on the limit. Which was nice.

I love eBay, me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

And why does every fucker seem to have one when I'm trying to get hold of a particularly elusive CD and think, with a minute to go, that I've got a chance?

I tried one of the Snipers for an item I wanted but my bid was still out-sniped:angry: As Bozza said-don't show your hand until the last few seconds and bid the maximum you'd be willing to pay. Did that myself in the early hours of this morning and beat somebody by 1Cent:lolol: Bet they were well pissed off....

I always initially bid just above the current bid, then immediately afterwards bid the highest amount I'm willing to pay. That way I either get the item at a bargain or, at worst, pick it up with my maximum bid.

Not sure that helps with 'sniping' though, because I don't understand what 'sniping' is. :dunce:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Safeway said:
I always initially bid just above the current bid, then immediately afterwards bid the highest amount I'm willing to pay.

That's pointless, because eBay will accept the lowest bid anyway. So, if the current bid was £5 and you bid £5-50 and then £20, the bid that would register would be the £20 one. At £5-50. If you only bid £20 the effect would be the same. You'd still get it for £5-50 if there were no more bids.

Safeway said:
I always initially bid just above the current bid, then immediately afterwards bid the highest amount I'm willing to pay. That way I either get the item at a bargain or, at worst, pick it up with my maximum bid.

Not sure that helps with 'sniping' though, because I don't understand what 'sniping' is. :dunce:

Obviously you don't understand the concept then mate - as said before, you only get the item at the bid increment above the previous bidder. Bidding sooner only advertises your interest and boosts the price up. If the item is still desirable to others by the last minute, they are usually going to outbid the leader by that essential quid more.

Nobody wants to lose a bid and think "oh crap, I really wanted that and they got a steal at that price" - then have to go looking for another one. The only time it may be advantageous to bid early is when you put two or more bids on (this does NOT advance your first bid) and then another bidder 'might' imagine you have bid bigger and you want it badly, and they 'could' get put off. That's a slim chance to take - better to snipe.

As an occasional seller on eBay though, I love it when people compete early on in my auctions, as it gets me more dosh. Watch out for shill bidders who might place bids on their own gear, or they have a mate and they bid for each other's stuff to bump the price up. You can report them to eBay, but they're awful at enforcing against or banning crooks, because they actually make money off their activity too!

Be sure to look at sellers' profiles feedbacks and percentages before bidding, and ask relevant questions before bidding on something you are not sure about.
Avoid anyone with (private) feedback, that's a really dodgy idea from eBay that protects crooks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
NMH said:
You can report them to eBay, but they're awful at enforcing against or banning crooks, because they actually make money off their activity too!

eBay are fecking useless at doing anything other than make money. Best thing to do on eBay is be cautious and you'll hopefully only get burned for small amounts.

I've bought a Laptop and portable DVD player but insisted on collecting the items in person-if they hadn't agreed I wouldn't have put a bid in. Smaller items-no problem but when you're talking 7 or 800 quid...I want proof you exist before you get my money!

NMH said:

Avoid anyone with (private) feedback, that's a really dodgy idea from eBay that protects crooks.

It's unbelievable how they allow that isn't it? I dealt with one guy with private feedback and it worked out alright-it was only a piece of pottery worth less than a tenner so I took the risk. For a big ticket item: NO WAY!

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
paid £900 for a table and chairs and crapped my pants when i had no contact for five weeks,but after seven weeks it did make it and the same table in the shops was over £2000
very happy:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here