Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eastern European vs Italian waiters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we had a debate yesterday at work regarding this.

In Brighton, my mrs and a load of friends went from work to a well known Italian restaurant and were served by three waiters/waitresses who were all Eastern European. They have been to the restaurant many times before and have always been served by Italians ( you know the sort, flirting with the women, surly to the men).

Anyway, they were dissapointed and thought that this somehow it didn't feel like an Italian, more just like any restaurant that served italian food.

personally it doesn't really bother me, but has anyone else had a similar experience?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
All Italian resteraunts have Eastern European and Greeks as waiters etc. There are no Italian immigrants any more, why would they need to come here? Italy is prosperous enough. Most of the owners are not really Italian anyway these days. Which Italian place was this?

I knew a restaurant in Italy, run by a couple called Carlo and Jean. Carlo was Italian, born in the small town where his restaurant was. Jean was his wife, born and brought up in Hounslow, but with perfect Italian, thanks to living in Italy for ten years.

The customers loved being served by Jean. Like all good wait-persons, she was a performer. She deliberately spoke her Italian with a comedy 'Dick Van Dyke' gor'blimey London accent. "It's what they want" was her excuse.

All Italian resteraunts have Eastern European and Greeks as waiters etc. There are no Italian immigrants any more, why would they need to come here? Italy is prosperous enough. Most of the owners are not really Italian anyway these days. Which Italian place was this?

This, of course, explains why the food doesn't taste Italian any more.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I knew a restaurant in Italy, run by a couple called Carlo and Jean. Carlo was Italian, born in the small town where his restaurant was. Jean was his wife, born and brought up in Hounslow, but with perfect Italian, thanks to living in Italy for ten years.

The customers loved being served by Jean. Like all good wait-persons, she was a performer. She deliberately spoke her Italian with a comedy 'Dick Van Dyke' gor'blimey London accent. "It's what they want" was her excuse.

you've been to Italy? How come you haven't told us this before?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That reminds me of a rhyme that David from Daves Book Exchange (now Comics) used to say to me years ago.

Down the hill the train came puffing Newport ten and Brighton nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here