Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easter 75/76 at Aldershot.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Following the Good Friday defeat to promotion rivals Millwall, Albion had another short journey the next day, to Aldershot.

Most of the 11,500 were from Sussex and we took over the ground yet Albion couldn't raise their game and the result was a poor 1-1 draw and, with just 2 games to go, promotion was fast fading.

Wardy scored our goal, one of 6 he scored in the last 8 games of his introductory season but the day would be most remembered for the pitch invasion at the end.

This was a long time before 1996 and there was no honourable motive here. Albion fans swarmed across the pitch, at the final whistle, broke at least one crossbar and hurled a brick through the PA box as the announcer asked for fans to leave the pitch.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Neil Warnock scored their goal. Had we been able to foretell the future that would have peed us off even more at the time.

Wardy was sensational in those last eight games and there was real excitement about what he would do the following season. Mullery re-wrote history in his book by claiming that he discovered Wardy. As we can see from this thread Timothy Spall (sorry Peter Taylor) played him first.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Good spot about Warnock, I didn't know that. Wish we could go back in time and give him some McGleish style stick!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember going on the pitch at the end and sitting down in the centre circle with all my mates. I saw the crossbar getting snapped as a result of fans jumping up and hanging onto it until it gave way due to the weight. Seemed like 3/4 of the crowd were Brighton.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I remember in the distant past going to a game at Aldershot and it might have been this one. I'd have been 14 and probably went with the old fella on a charabanc

That year turned into the long hot summer :thumbsup:

We got in the ground early, and just walked into the empty East Bank. Daubed there in paint was "Enter the East Bank at your own risk" - a warning that now applied to the author! I was 17 and yes, like hundreds of others, was on the pitch but near the centre circle. A couple of lads swung on the crosssbar, more joined and the inevitable happened. (I'm sure the other one remained intact). I believe an Albion fan immediately offered AFC £20 in compensation.
Taylor's Army, Taylor's Army, allo, allo!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here