Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Earthquake

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I'm sure I'm not yet totally mad and I'm not drunk either but I just felt an earthquake here in deepest Cheshire. My house really shook for about 45 seconds, enough to make the light fitting move. Weird feeling. Guess it was only some very minor tremor, makes you appreciate how scary a big one must be.

mattieoo

Nov 17, 2005
in the cold
YEAH!!! woke whole house up!! im glad ive lived though one! im just hope it wasn't a very large one someware else in the world.........I study a level geology and we are told thats what we would feel if there was a big. Say the San Andres fault they have been expecting

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
odd...very odd ...

My radiators just vibrated a bit, and the back door kind of shock a little - enough to make we wander through to the kitchen to see if somebody was trying to get in. Only lasted about 2 -3 seconds here though.

mattieoo

Nov 17, 2005
in the cold
Thats a relief!! noting in a huge scale!! was very violent here people are in the street

Al Bion

Sep 3, 2004
Up North
The BBC news website has got that there's 'reports of a tremor felt in the West Midlands' in it's latest news ticker so we're not going mad!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The epicentre was near Hull

4.7 on the Richter Scale

Al Bion

Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Must have been quite strong if I felt it in Cheshire and Bry must be 200 miles from me at least. Sky saying it was felt in Leics, Bedfordshire and Norfolk at the moment

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Must have been quite strong if I felt it in Cheshire and Bry must be 200 miles from me at least. Sky saying it was felt in Leics, Bedfordshire and Norfolk at the moment

Yeah, I'm about 15 miles south of Cambridge. Am I now officially an "earthquake survivor"? :)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
How the hell do they work it out that quickly?

Only did AS Geology, but if you have 3 sites measuring the intensity of the earthquake, you can pin point exactly the epicentre of it.

Or something like that:D

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
I was just getting up for work, I didnt feel anything but I heard my 3 pet parrots going into a big flap at 12-56am. They would normally be fast asleep, so they must have sensed the quake, they are now all tense and clinging on to the sides of their cages rather than sitting on their perches as normal.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Being reported as 4.7 on that scale thingy.....

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I was just getting up for work, I didnt feel anything but I heard my 3 pet parrots going into a big flap at 12-56am. They would normally be fast asleep, so they must have sensed the quake, they are now all tense and clinging on to the sides of their cages rather than sitting on their perches as normal.

Awww bless them!

To be fair, I would have been clinging onto the walls if I had felt it here in RH16.

Is there any chance of it carrying on through the night, in different parts of the country?? :cry:

mattieoo

Nov 17, 2005
in the cold
Awww bless them!

To be fair, I would have been clinging onto the walls if I had felt it here in RH16.

Is there any chance of it carrying on through the night, in different parts of the country?? :cry:

no the waves travel faster the sound through the crust so if you missed it you shouldn't feel it again unless you get a second one or if it reflects back from the core which is unlikely as it wouldn't have the strength to do that unless it was at least 7.0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here