Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Day Motion 889 - Brighton & Hove Albion

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
From www.parliament.uk:

Early Day Motions. The tabling of an EDM is a device to draw attention to an issue and to elicit support for it by inviting other MPs to add their signatures: an MP would not expect their EDM to be debated. MPs can also table amendments to existing EDMs.

EDMs, amendments and names of signatories are circulated in the Vote Bundle, the daily working papers of the House of Commons. EDMs can often attract a great deal of publicity, and many people regard them as a gauge of opinion.

So write or email your MP (any party) asking them to sign it. Remember though, members of the government don't sign, by convention (which is why Caplin hasn't).

Sadly, Norman Baker's EDM about Tasmanian rainforests currently has more signatories than the Albion one.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
The Postcard campaign now goes into overdrive - with stickers being afixed asking the constituency MP to sign the EDM.

This is another brilliant innovative dimension to the campaign and I think will attract good publicity. Good work Paul Whelch in getting the EDM together.

Press Release has gone out - now let's be having names/postcodes of any pro-Falmerites outside of Sussex - regardless of political party. We are targetting ALL MPs now.

It will of course be of particular interest whether any LibDems sign the EDM.

Together we are winning.

Paul Samrah

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
PRESS RELEASE

Early Day Motion tabled in the House of Commons

An Early Day Motion (EDM) has been tabled in the House of Commons, in
support of Brighton & Hove Albion's application for a new Community Stadium
at Falmer. Within a matter of hours of being tabled, the EDM (No: 889) has
attracted high profile Labour & Conservative support.

An EDM is a colloquial term for a notice of motion given by a Member for
which no date has been fixed for debate. EDMs allow Members to put on record
their opinion on a subject and canvass support for it from fellow Members.

Proposer of the EDM, Deputy Chair of the House of Commons All Party Football
Group, Burnley Labour M.P. Peter Pike said "Football fans everywhere know
how important local clubs are to the town in which they are based, and the
mutual benefits that grow out of that relationship. Brighton and Hove, like
Burnley, are proud of their football team. I hope the Falmer site gets the
all clear and that they can enjoy many years and games of success in their
new community stadium - except, of course, when they play Burnley!"

Chair of the All Party Football Group, Feltham & Heston Labour M.P. Alan
Keen said: "League football in Brighton and Hove has played a vital part in
the city and enhanced community spirit for many years. This application
offers a superb and unique opportunity to enhance the assets of the local
area and is undoubtedly needed, not just for football but for the wider
economic, cultural and leisure benefits that will result."

Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport Julie Kirkbride and
M.P. for Bromsgrove, recently visited the proposed site at Falmer and was
one of the first to sign the Early Day Motion. Ms Kirkbride commented, "A
huge amount of effort has been put into these plans and the stadium would
make a great use of the site, next to a station. The plan makes enormous
sense. It's good for Brighton and Hove, good for fans, good for the local
population and good for the Club. It's win, win, win all round and I very
much hope John Prescott sees the good sense of this proposal. I am happy to
lend any support I can in Parliament to make sure it goes ahead".

Paul Whelch from the FFA Campaign said "The EDM clearly sets out the
tangible benefits that the stadium will bring. These are not only benefits
for the local community, but for the whole country. I am delighted that
Peter Pike is sponsoring this motion supported by Alan Keen and Julie
Kirkbride. Support is coming from Members of Parliament from across the
country and across the political divide. This is a One Nation issue. Local
MPs, David Lepper and Des Turner, are also strongly supporting the EDM. The
Early Day Motion commends the Falmer plans to the Deputy Prime Minister and
we will be urging MPs to sign it. In so doing, they will demonstrate that
the strength of feeling on this matter extends well beyond the Albion's own
supporters".

Paul Samrah, Chair of the FFA Campaign, added "Brighton & Hove Albion are
part of the national game and it is very significant that the EDM has
attracted support from MPs across the country. With John Prescott's decision
expected in the next eight weeks, the Club's future hangs in the balance.
Our long campaign has now arrived at the nation's seat of democracy - the
overwhelming public majority have said Yes to Falmer, the City Council have
said Yes to Falmer and now the DPM's own Parliamentary colleagues are saying
Yes to Falmer. We urge John Prescott to listen and say Yes to Falmer. Quite
simply without Falmer, there can be no Albion."

ENDS

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I have emailed my MP with this:

Dear Mr Whittingdale

As a Supporter of Brighton & Hove Albion FC living in your constituency I am asking you to
consider supporting Early Day Motion 889 - in favour of a community stadium next to Falmer railway station, as proposed by Brighton & Hove Albion FC. The stadium was supported by 68 per cent of voters in a referendum across the city (44,985 people) and 61,000 signed a petition in
favour, including people in every single postal area of mainland Britain.

Without this exciting stadium, a 103-year-old community asset would undoubtedly die and a huge region would be unrepresented in the national sport. The stadium will help regenerate one of the poorest council wards in the South East, creating many hundreds of jobs. It is based on Brighton & Hove Albion's pioneering Green Transport Plan, contributing to a sustainable environment by including vouchers for train and bus travel with every match ticket.

"I know that it is not usual for MPs to support EDMs relating to a matter purely related to another constituency. However this issue reaches beyond normal constituency matters. The stadium's concept, as I have explained above, is an exemplar of how sustainable development of these facilities can be provided nationally in the future. It is also critical to securing the
maintenance of professional football in a significant region of England. If the game is to be truly national, it needs a professional club in the Brighton area; and the Falmer stadium is the only way to achieve this."

Bob Gear
My adress

Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport Julie Kirkbride and M.P. for Bromsgrove, recently visited the proposed site at Falmer and was one of the first to sign the Early Day Motion. Ms Kirkbride commented, “A huge amount of effort has been put into these plans and the stadium would make a great use of the site, next to a station. The plan makes enormous sense. It's good for Brighton and Hove, good for fans, good for the local population and good for the Club. It's win, win, win all round and I very much hope John Prescott sees the good sense of this proposal. I am happy to lend any support I can in Parliament to make sure it goes ahead".

Proposer of the EDM, Deputy Chair of the House of Commons All Party Football Group, Burnley Labour M.P. Peter Pike said “Football fans everywhere know how important local clubs are to the town in which they are based, and the mutual benefits that grow out of that relationship. Brighton and Hove, like Burnley, are proud of their football team. I hope the Falmer site gets the all clear and that they can enjoy many years and games of success in their new community stadium - except, of course, when they play Burnley!”

Chair of the All Party Football Group, Feltham & Heston Labour M.P. Alan Keen said: "League football in Brighton and Hove has played a vital part in the city and enhanced community spirit for many years. This application offers a superb and unique opportunity to enhance the assets of the local area and is undoubtedly needed, not just for football but for the wider economic, cultural and leisure benefits that will result."

Paul Whelch from the FFA Campaign said “The EDM clearly sets out the tangible benefits that the stadium will bring. These are not only benefits for the local community, but for the whole country. I am delighted that Peter Pike is sponsoring this motion supported by Alan Keen and Julie Kirkbride. Support is coming from Members of Parliament from across the country and across the political divide. This is a One Nation issue. Local MPs, David Lepper and Des Turner, are also strongly supporting the EDM. The Early Day Motion commends the Falmer plans to the Deputy Prime Minister and we will be urging MPs to sign it. In so doing, they will demonstrate that the strength of feeling on this matter extends well beyond the Albion’s own supporters”.

Paul Samrah, Chair of the FFA Campaign, added “Brighton & Hove Albion are part of the national game and it is very significant that the EDM has attracted support from MPs across the country. With John Prescott’s decision expected in the next eight weeks, the Club’s future hangs in the balance. Our long campaign has now arrived at the nation’s seat of democracy - the overwhelming public majority have said Yes to Falmer, the City Council have said Yes to Falmer and now the DPM’s own Parliamentary colleagues are saying Yes to Falmer. We urge John Prescott to listen and say Yes to Falmer. Quite simply without Falmer, there can be no Albion.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here