Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eagle's goal - the best ever at Withdean?Discuss.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
For me - Chris Eagle's goal was the best I've seen at Withdean. Bobby's v Halifax was great but that goal on saturday was sublime... unfortunately.

E

enigma

I still havent seen footage of it- anyone got a video of it?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Wigan scored a pretty good one last season jsut as I was walking in the ground. They also scored again just as I was taking my seat...

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
BarrelofFun said:
Certainly not the one that Walton booted against Mayo's ??? arse vs Chester City.

I think it probably was the best goal.

Best team goal? Zamora's vs Reading?

If that was the home game when we won 3-1 then it was Melton who vollyed in after Zamora's sublime chip over the centre half.

If it wasn't that goal i'll shut up:)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was a good finish that's all really most forward players should be able to put that ball in an empty net from the half way line, its hardly the same as Beckhams which had to be perfect to lob the keeper.

Its no way near as skillful as hitting a volley coming over your shoulder

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
zamora's goal when he was looking the other way and belted it into the top corner...a la van Basten ......halifax?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Titanic said:
Hoof up field, a weak clearance and a lucky shot - not exactly the elements of greatness.

Not exactly a lucky shot. Apparently he's done it before.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
great finish but WTF henderson ...... distribution wasn't shining then ?

redeemed himself 2nd half though

E

enigma

Great goal. Hendo came out quite far but he had to. How often do you see a ball hit like that from that far out? Hats off to Eagles.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
gazwag said:
It was a good finish that's all really most forward players should be able to put that ball in an empty net from the half way line, its hardly the same as Beckhams which had to be perfect to lob the keeper.

Its no way near as skillful as hitting a volley coming over your shoulder

The Zamora goal is the best one I've seen I reckon but Eagles' cannot be discounted straight away. You can tell on the replay how he controlled and managed to get the elevation right so nobody could stop it. He still had to beat two defenders.

And I reckon most forward players could put the ball into an empty net but not so somebody on the line couldn't stop it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I reckon most forward players could put the ball into an empty net
I wouldn't take it for granted with ours though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
And I reckon most forward players could put the ball into an empty net but not so somebody on the line couldn't stop it.

The two defenders were on the edge of the penalty area when he hit it, if they had both sprinted to the goal line and then turned around they may well have headed it away.

Great bit of individual skill but not the best

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here