Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dull facts

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Did you know that moths do not fly towards light but the darkest point in a room, which is always directly behind the brightest light.

Amazing, truly amazing. Anyone else got a fact they would like to share with the group?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
- If you rub an onion on the sole of your foot, you will taste onion on your tongue about 30 mins later. Not sure if it works with other foodstuffs, the example I read just said onion. I tried it, and it does work.

- The other classic is that it is physically impossible to lick one's own elbow...95% of people, after reading this, will try to lick their own elbow.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I read yesterday that the real children in the Sound Of Music had different names to the film - one of them was also called Maria - and that Maria was hired to be a tutor to one of the children, not a governess to all of them. But the real Maria did bring a guitar with her and Captain von Trapp did summon his children with a whistle, and the "16 going on 17" gazebo is a real one and still there in a park in Salzburg. :gay:

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
President George W. Bush and Playboy founder Hugh Hefner are cousins!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Onions.If you hold a piece of bread between your teeth and keep your mouth slightly open, not breathing through your nose the fumes that make your eyes water are breathed through the mouth and absorbed by the bread and you won't cry.

I knows my onions.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nibble said:
Onions.If you hold a piece of bread between your teeth and keep your mouth slightly open, not breathing through your nose the fumes that make your eyes water are breathed through the mouth and absorbed by the bread and you won't cry.

Will you not look like a complete DICK though?

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour
Nibble said:

I knows my onions.

Breathing apparatus also perform the same function. But this solution can become slightly cumbersome in a busy working kitchen environment.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Stinkers Bridge said:
Breathing apparatus also perform the same function. But this solution can become slightly cumbersome in a busy working kitchen environment.

full SCUBA kit is reccomended when preparing a lot of onions.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Or peel them whilst submerged in a bowl of water?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Downloaded Penguin said:
Or peel them whilst submerged in a bowl of water?

Yes but that is harder than it seems, it's the refraction ya see, makes it hard to judge where you are slicing!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Nibble said:
Did you know that moths do not fly towards light but the darkest point in a room, which is always directly behind the brightest light.

Amazing, truly amazing. Anyone else got a fact they would like to share with the group?

Sorry, but I think thats a load of tosh.

The darkest point in my bedroom is under the bed of behind the wardrobe, but not a moth to be seen in those places.

All the little buggers flutter round the bulb.

Think someone sold you a dummy:wave:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Re: Re: Dull facts

Uncle C said:
Sorry, but I think thats a load of tosh.

The darkest point in my bedroom is under the bed of behind the wardrobe, but not a moth to be seen in those places.

All the little buggers flutter round the bulb.

Think someone sold you a dummy:wave:

Think what you like but what appears to be the darkest point in any room with a light on is the area just behind the light. It will always seem the darkest because of the contrast. So I am afraid Uncle C I have not been sold a dummy but indeed a very valuable and useful piece of info.

but thanks for your always valuable input.

Last edited:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Peel an onion ,cut it in half & stand it in a saucer of cold water to get rid of paint fumes

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Get the maid to cut the onion?

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
You guys sound all domesticated on here. I doubt that's true though. Probably can't even make toast.

Also, I find it's great just to chuck the onion in a food processor such as a Kenwood Chef.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Re: Re: Re: Dull facts

Nibble said:
So I am afraid Uncle C I have not been sold a dummy but indeed a very valuable and useful piece of info.

Valuable?:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dull facts

Djmiles said:
Valuable?:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Extremely! Once we understand the habits of moths more we can begin to live in harmony with the fuzzy little fellas and not fear them as the bumbling, annoying, ugly little critters we perceive them to be.

The little critters of God, they don't know that they're ugly.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Re: Re: Re: Dull facts

Nibble said:
Think what you like but what appears to be the darkest point in any room with a light on is the area just behind the light. It will always seem the darkest because of the contrast. So I am afraid Uncle C I have not been sold a dummy but indeed a very valuable and useful piece of info.

but thanks for your always valuable input.

OK, picture a hanging lamp in the bedroom with a non transparent shade above it (umbrella type shade).

Now, where will all the moths be, above the shade hiding from the light or below the shade fluttering round the bulb QED

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dull facts

Uncle C said:
OK, picture a hanging lamp in the bedroom with a non transparent shade above it (umbrella type shade).

Now, where will all the moths be, above the shade hiding from the light or below the shade fluttering round the bulb QED

yes fluttering around the bulb, trying to get to what seems to be the darkest point of the room which is always behind the brightest bulb.

Look directly at a lit lightbulb, you will notice just around the edge of the bulb there is whatappears to be a dark ring. This is what the moths go for, of course when they get to the dark ring, it appears to be on the other side of the bulb so they bump round to get at it, where it appears to move again, hence the constant, infuriating quest.

I read this in BBC Science mag so maybe you can find it there.

Why is this so hard for you to accept?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here