Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dubai Trip

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I've got a few trips planned for the next 18 months to a few different spots and the place the Missus wetting herself over is a holiday in Dubai.

Is it worth the time and money or over-rated?

Tips from anyone who's been there or knows plenty about the place would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've got a few trips planned for the next 18 months to a few different spots and the place the Missus wetting herself over is a holiday in Dubai.

Is it worth the time and money or over-rated?

Tips from anyone who's been there or knows plenty about the place would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Built with the blood,sweat and tears of men who were treated no better than slaves.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's the most god-awful place I've been to in my life. I had to go there for work but wouldn't go back again if I was given a free trip and a grand to spend. It's like a stifling hot version of Croydon - but without the charm.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It's the most god-awful place I've been to in my life. I had to go there for work but wouldn't go back again if I was given a free trip and a grand to spend. It's like a stifling hot version of Croydon - but without the charm.

I agree it over rated but not as bad as Saudi. You will need a car or regular use of taxi it is very spread out and the planning was based on the chaos theory. The wife will love the shopping but to me it feels very artificial, alcohol is freely available in hotels and there is enough to do for a couple of days personally I prefer Abu Dhabi.

And it will be hot very hot.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Sorry, I don't get this. Do you mean it's entirely clean and it's taboo to litter similar to Singapore?

No the UAE has very *very* strict drug laws. A poppyseed is technically an opiate and the minimum sentence for drugs is 4 years.

BBC NEWS | UK | Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

Keith Brown, 43, Middlesex: Four-year jail term for possession of 0.003g of cannabis
Robert Dalton, 25, Kent: On trial for alleged possession of 0.03g of cannabis
20-year-old, West Yorkshire: On trial for alleged possession of 0.02g of cannabis
Tracy Wilkinson, 45, West Sussex: Held in custody for eight weeks for possession of codeine before release
Swiss national: Four-year jail term after poppy seeds found on his clothes

For reference, 0.003g of something is 3mg, a grain of salt weighs roughly 0.15mg so that's roughly 20 grains of salt...

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No the UAE has very *very* strict drug laws. A poppyseed is technically an opiate and the minimum sentence for drugs is 4 years.

BBC NEWS | UK | Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

Keith Brown, 43, Middlesex: Four-year jail term for possession of 0.003g of cannabis
Robert Dalton, 25, Kent: On trial for alleged possession of 0.03g of cannabis
20-year-old, West Yorkshire: On trial for alleged possession of 0.02g of cannabis
Tracy Wilkinson, 45, West Sussex: Held in custody for eight weeks for possession of codeine before release
Swiss national: Four-year jail term after poppy seeds found on his clothes

Ah fair enough! Thanks for the tip :smile:

Edit: Just saw those jail sentences, pretty strict then!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
No disrespect to any of the previous posters (some of whose views I would concur with), but for those of us who love it and have built lives and businesses for ourselves within the UAE, it goes without saying that like most places, you'll be very welcome as long as you behave.

Plenty of alcohol available (at a premium) although you can't buy it legally in the shops without an alcohol permit. Very hot at the moment - it moves beyond 50 degrees in the summer. A good time to visit would be between late October and early April.

Outside of Dubai itself, there are some great places to visit. A trip up Jebel Hafeet mountain (close to Oman) is well worth doing for the view as are the beaches on the east coast. The desert is beautiful at night - you don't have to go that far outside Dubai to find peace and tranquility.

The UAE is itself only 40 years old - just like any new country, it's going to be learning by doing when it comes to laws. Yes, there are some things that I'd change given the chance, but I believe many of them will be changed soon enough. For a country like the UAE to get where it has in the last 40 years is a minor miracle. It's bouncing back after very tough times a few years ago - the optimism has returned, albeit with a degree of being wise after the event.

Let me know when you're coming out and I'll be more than happy to show you around. There's a few of us Albion fans out here - it's high time a 'Seagulls over UAE' was set up...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No disrespect to any of the previous posters (some of whose views I would concur with), but for those of us who love it and have built lives and businesses for ourselves within the UAE, it goes without saying that like most places, you'll be very welcome as long as you behave.

Plenty of alcohol available (at a premium) although you can't buy it legally in the shops without an alcohol permit. Very hot at the moment - it moves beyond 50 degrees in the summer. A good time to visit would be between late October and early April.

Outside of Dubai itself, there are some great places to visit. A trip up Jebel Hafeet mountain (close to Oman) is well worth doing for the view as are the beaches on the east coast. The desert is beautiful at night - you don't have to go that far outside Dubai to find peace and tranquility.

The UAE is itself only 40 years old - just like any new country, it's going to be learning by doing when it comes to laws. Yes, there are some things that I'd change given the chance, but I believe many of them will be changed soon enough. For a country like the UAE to get where it has in the last 40 years is a minor miracle. It's bouncing back after very tough times a few years ago - the optimism has returned, albeit with a degree of being wise after the event.

Let me know when you're coming out and I'll be more than happy to show you around. There's a few of us Albion fans out here - it's high time a 'Seagulls over UAE' was set up...

Thanks for your input bud, I still think we'll go ahead with the trip as it's been on our mind a lot recently. I am very much looking forward to it and 95% of the reason for me going abroad is to experience different cultures etc.
Also thanks very much for the shout on showing us around, keep an eye on your inbox over the next few months and I may have to give you a nudge!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Spot on. Bloody awful place. Stay away. Same with Abu Dhabi and Doha. The only place worth visiting in that region is Oman.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I am very much looking forward to it and 95% of the reason for me going abroad is to experience different cultures etc.

If you want to experience Arab culture for f*cks sake don't go to Dubai. It's concrete and steel in the desert. Las Vegas without the fun and the gambling.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Thanks for your input bud, I still think we'll go ahead with the trip as it's been on our mind a lot recently. I am very much looking forward to it and 95% of the reason for me going abroad is to experience different cultures etc.
Also thanks very much for the shout on showing us around, keep an eye on your inbox over the next few months and I may have to give you a nudge!

Don't mention it - it's always a pleasure having the blue and white stripes out here. As previously mentioned, there's a few of us out here including Martin Lambert (former Albion forward signed by Mullery) who's about 5 minutes away.

Look forward to hearing from you in due course.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The only reason I'd go is to see the Burj Khalifa, but not sure that would justify the cost! My dad's been there a few times on business and seems to have nice things to say about the place.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The only reason I'd go is to see the Burj Khalifa, but not sure that would justify the cost! My dad's been there a few times on business and seems to have nice things to say about the place.

There is nothing but concrete, sand and cranes to see in Dubai at ground level. If you go up the Burj Khalifa all you'll see is a lot more of the same.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
If its a family holiday, you cannot go wrong with The Atlantis. Water park is amazing, the lazy river is so long it takes 45 minutes from start to finish. Food is outstanding, however it does cost.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Here's a view from the top of the Burj from which The World islands can be seen.

ImreSoltBurjKhalifa+(14).JPG

And if you like skiing, SkiDubai at Mall of the Emirates is a good excursion.

lift-ski-dubai.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here