Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving Days - Brands Hatch etc.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hello NSC,

Has anyone partaken in one of these or given them as a present? I am never sure whether to trust 'online testimonials' and thought I would ask this board for some help.

It is a 30th Birthday present for a dear friend and wanted to get him something thrilling as a he is a thrill seeking army captain.

Any good ones out there?

Chars.

scooter1

How soon is now?
They're ok, but you never get the feeling that you've got your moneys worth.
I did the rallying thing at Brands Hatch a few years ago and it was great fun, but overall you got about 10 mins driving and it was £90ish.
I accept that these people are in the business of making money and they have insurances and upkeep to pay etc but i've always felt a little underwhelmed at the end

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hello NSC,

Has anyone partaken in one of these or given them as a present? I am never sure whether to trust 'online testimonials' and thought I would ask this board for some help.

It is a 30th Birthday present for a dear friend and wanted to get him something thrilling as a he is a thrill seeking army captain.

Any good ones out there?

Chars.

Hey BoF - can I have a moment of pedanticism. Having said that you don't trust Online testimonials - you have just asked for .... an online testimonial.

I shall bow out of the conversation at this point.

Seaford Seagull

BHAFC 'til I die
Mar 4, 2005
Sussex (By the sea)
I drove a Ferrari round Goodwood and wouldn't recommend it. Was expensive for what you get (£125 for 3 laps). You can only go as fast as the instructor lets you, the track is boring as it has no tight turns and it's over before you even get a feel of the car.

My friend did a better one at silverstone, but he did pay more for it (£250).

So I guess you get what you pay for, but for the amount of money that you are paying I would say that it isn't worth it.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
I bought one for my wife......'Skid pan' driving at Brands. We turned up only expecting the usual few hours etc. Ended up being a full day coarse, excellant value for money as it something that she learnt and used in the bad weather we had. It also looked great fun too.......never seen her with such a big grin except on our wedding day.

I did the rallying, it was ok, but over too quick to get a feel for the car and track.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The PalmerSport ones at Bedford are the ones to do - although very expensive. Big run off areas which means they're much happier to let you go to the limit.

Brands and any other circuit based experience have lots of armco and sand traps and they're paranoid about you getting it wrong and smashing up their equipment - and yourself. If you're army captain mate is gung ho and likes to do everything at 10 tenths - he'll probably find the latter a bit tame.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I once spoke to a racing driver bird who used to work as an instructor at these 'experience days' for extra cash. She was just an employee of the company who ran the days but always felt that the punters were getting completely ripped off and that the driving experience was very sanitised and tame.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

The Mercedes AMG Experience is at Brooklands in Surrey, next door to Brooklands Museum which has a Concorde and the only Concorde Simulator in the world. It is the one on which all the BA Concorde pilots trained and the public can now book to fly it under instruction by one of those BA pilots.

The website is Concorde Simulator - Brooklands Museum

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I used to work for a BMW dealer and we had a staff driving days at Brands. Was very good - in addition to driving beemers accompanied by an instructer, we also had laps being driven by Perry 'The Stig' McCarthy and Barry McGuigan.

Prior to that I also had a corporate day at a Rover track test day - great fun even if we were driving MG Metros and MG Maestros around the track!

SeagullinKent

Jul 7, 2003
Orpington
It is me mate!!!

Car wasn't going to well so bit the bullet and brought a FGS race engine and had a 6th, 10th and 11th on Sunday at Aldershot, so fingers crossed!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
It is me mate!!!

Car wasn't going to well so bit the bullet and brought a FGS race engine and had a 6th, 10th and 11th on Sunday at Aldershot, so fingers crossed!!

woah nice one! wont get much chance to go racing what with the WC coming up but anytime after that I'm free....although that does sound like a broken record I will be free as I fnish all my college work this wee aswell so theres nothing stopping me from going to Alders or Arlingers!

SeagullinKent

Jul 7, 2003
Orpington
Come along on 31st July @ Arlington, should be a good meeting!

2.0 Hot Rods, Rookie Rods Seahaven Caravan Series Round 5 & Bangers Track Championship Round 6.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
cool, noted in the diary to remind me :thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hey BoF - can I have a moment of pedanticism. Having said that you don't trust Online testimonials - you have just asked for .... an online testimonial.

I shall bow out of the conversation at this point.

Ah, good point! :laugh:

I did mean the online testimonials that might be manufactured by the company in question and not really a proper customer..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here