Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr Who - Is it just me.............?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think its an age thing... People keep saying "if I can't keep up, how will my 12 year old?" but all of the parents in my team whose kids watch the show say that there is no problem and they get it easily!

Personally, I LOVE this season and saturdays was one of the best I've seen.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think there is a bit of a danger that they are making it too over complicated for some kids to get though. If you lose them you will lose the show I believe, which is what happened in the post Tom Baker era.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think there is a bit of a danger that they are making it too over complicated for some kids to get though. If you lose them you will lose the show I believe, which is what happened in the post Tom Baker era.
I don't agree with that. People will always watch the show, even with the low production budget of old, even with a decent script. But after Baker, the scripts became *very* bland, the Dr Who actors themselves became increasingly third rate and we still had terrible special effects. If Dr Who was a car, it was a Triumph Stag under Pertwee and then Baker - unreliable but iconic and very British. By the time Peter Davidson, Colin Baker and Sylvestor McCoy were playing him, the show was an Austin Allegro. Nowadays it's a Mini Cooper S.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think opening on a two parter was a bad idea. I also think having so many unanswered questions so early on is more frustrating than intriguing. Other than that I think the series has been good. No stupid flying sharks or Teletubby Daleks.

The pirate episode was great but last Saturdays talking TARDIS was wonderful. A truely masterful wonderstroke of an episode. There have been things I've loved and loathed about the new series and I think Moffat needs to reign it in at times but on the whole it's by far my TV highlight of the week.

Still a shame a murdered the daleks though. That was just awful.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't agree with that. People will always watch the show, even with the low production budget of old, even with a decent script. But after Baker, the scripts became *very* bland, the Dr Who actors themselves became increasingly third rate and we still had terrible special effects. If Dr Who was a car, it was a Triumph Stag under Pertwee and then Baker - unreliable but iconic and very British. By the time Peter Davidson, Colin Baker and Sylvestor McCoy were playing him, the show was an Austin Allegro. Nowadays it's a Mini Cooper S.

Couldn't disagree more.

You think Shada was a bad script? Or The Caves of Androzani? Or Feneric?

Tom Baker was a hard act to follow but Davison and Baker MKII were excellent actors. The biggest problem being with Baker MII is that they made him 'nasty' for too long and lost the viewers.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I think that there is enough in the show to make it interesting for kids with the added longer term storyline which keeps the older kids (like me) happy. I watch it with my 11 year old daughter who can never wait for the next episode and has loved this series to bits

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think that there is enough in the show to make it interesting for kids with the added longer term storyline which keeps the older kids (like me) happy. I watch it with my 11 year old daughter who can never wait for the next episode and has loved this series to bits

In fairness both my kids (9 and 13) still watch it with me so I guess that's the true litmus test which confirms some of what I said is bollox!

The talking tardis lady was inspired for sure.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
this series has, thus far, been one of the best since they bought it back. i just hope that they don't make the ending totally f***ing shit again by just having things be reset as if nothing has ever happened

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In fairness both my kids (9 and 13) still watch it with me so I guess that's the true litmus test which confirms some of what I said is bollox!

The talking tardis lady was inspired for sure.

Indeed you are talking bollox ! My 7 year follows it and we've had many a conversation discussing who the little girl is - we've come to the conclusion she's a lost timelord but I guess that's where I start talking bolloxs !

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I used to watch Doctor Who and be SCARED.

Now I watch it and am scared I must be a bit thick... All this "crimson eleven delight perichor" and "the only water in the forest is the river" stuff is all well and good, but I don't understand them... and anyway, where are the scary monsters??

Loved the bitey-lady-TARDIS though :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Indeed you are talking bollox ! My 7 year follows it and we've had many a conversation discussing who the little girl is - we've come to the conclusion she's a lost timelord but I guess that's where I start talking bolloxs !

I've assumed it's either Amy or Amy's daughter. Or River Song. I'm pretty certain on this.

Would love to see the Doctor's daughter return by the way. She was great.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I've assumed it's either Amy or Amy's daughter. Or River Song. I'm pretty certain on this.

How would Amy or Amy's daughter be a Time Lord... unless it's The Doctor's baby too? Nah!

Perhaps Lucy Saxon had a daughter with The Master?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How would Amy or Amy's daughter be a Time Lord... unless it's The Doctor's baby too? Nah!

Spacey wacey timey wimey. Have any of the doctors previous companions been pregnant while travelling through time or being in the Tardis where the tardis matrix could radiate her baby?

Might not be a time lord baby, but might be time lord-like.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think all of this kind of came about because they tried to mesh Torchwood in with Dr Who.

It's since then it's had that grey, unexplained feeling about it.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
All this "crimson eleven delight perichor" and "the only water in the forest is the river" stuff is all well and good, but I don't understand them...

You're not meant to understand them... yet :)

and anyway, where are the scary monsters??

I think The Silence fit in that category, and arguably so does the Siren from episode 3 (she was pretty mean when she turned red and screamed). 3/4 ain't bad, though you could even argue than a voice that controlled a planet (and then the TARDIS) fits the category too...

Loved the bitey-lady-TARDIS though :)[/QUOTE]

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It's a shame that not one of you mention Neil Gaiman, the writer of aforementioned "The Doctors Wife" - possibly the single most intelligent writer ever to have graced Doctor Who. "!The Doctors Wife" has become my all-time favourite Doctor Who episodes, of all time. Even beats "The girl in the fireplace".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here