Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't want to do the bloke a disservice......

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
But was former England mascot Ken Bailey a nonce?

Driving back from Wembley last night we got round to talking about him, I recalled he was on the front of my five a side subbuteo game, in fact subbuteo sold a figure depicting him in the bench set, but then someone else in the car recalled him getting done for some kind of sexual offence.

Has part of my youth been tainted or is my mate mixing him up with someone else?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've heard he was. I remember my dad always referred to him as "that dirty old bastard" whenever he appeared on the tellybox.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've heard he was. I remember my dad always referred to him as "that dirty old bastard" whenever he appeared on the tellybox.
That, in our house, would equate to a lot of nonces about the place.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I remember seeing him at Bournemouth when I lived down there in the 70's.He was a Bournemouth Councillor and was always parading around at the home games at the old Dean Court.
Lots of rumours abounded I believe,but as far as I'm aware nothing concrete.If you google 'Ken Bailey football mascot' and look under 'little plastic figures' there is an oblique reference to him possibly being over familiar with kids in the Bournemouth crowd....according to some people.
Personally,when I saw him, I did think he was rather creepy and I was in my 20's!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They say patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel...

D

Deleted User X18H

I remember he draped the Union Jack across Erica Roe and you couldn't see either of his hands!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
:lolol:

Now Harold Steptoe was always calling Albert "you dirty old man" - so there was probably some dark and sordid goings-on on Oil Drum Lane, involving one Albert Edward Ladysmith Steptoe. I don't know if rag and bone men did as well as milkmen though

Truth stranger than fiction, if I remember correctly Wilfred Brambell, who played Albert Steptoe, was a bit 'light on his loafers' so to speak. And wasn't there a 'George Michael' public toilets type of incident involving him and others which ended with them being prosecuted?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Here's that dirty old bastard at his miniature best. (Could've done with a Childcatcher net in his dirty mitt if you ask me. He made my skin crawl).

england_v_portugal_1969.jpg

:sick:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Now Harold Steptoe was always calling Albert "you dirty old man" - so there was probably some dark and sordid goings-on on Oil Drum Lane, involving one Albert Edward Ladysmith Steptoe. I don't know if rag and bone men did as well as milkmen though

Actually Wilfred Bramble got done a few times for acts of 'Gross Indecency', truly a dirty old man.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Actually Wilfred Bramble got done a few times for acts of 'Gross Indecency', truly a dirty old man.

I think he was arrested once. As homosexuality was illegal then, it's hardly fair to call him a dirty old man. Then, it could be a career wrecker, today, no-one bats an eyelid - look at George Michael.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
But was former England mascot Ken Bailey a nonce?

Driving back from Wembley last night we got round to talking about him, I recalled he was on the front of my five a side subbuteo game, in fact subbuteo sold a figure depicting him in the bench set, but then someone else in the car recalled him getting done for some kind of sexual offence.

Has part of my youth been tainted or is my mate mixing him up with someone else?

With respect, for one connected or previously connected with the media, I would have thought you might have chosen a less public way to validate your suspicions. The very nature of this thread means his name is now tainted in the eyes of some: whether it is deserved I know not. But there must be another way of finding out, rather than airing your unsubstantiated view (i.e. nonce) on a public message board. I hope none of his family are reading.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

William Brambell got charged with importuning once I remember.......................

Not that I fully understand what that term means.

and Ken Bailey spoke like Lester Piggot.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Ive vague recollections of him being in the tabloids charged with something sexually related, how long ago i can't remember, but there was definetly some allegation/charge.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Mate of mine in Worthing owns one of Ken's unionjack suits.
And i stood next to him at the goldstone, i think it was the England game Wardy played in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here