Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't mean to P**s you off but

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What happens if a Reading situation occurs with McGhee. Say Norwich/West Brom/Gillingham or anyone bigger than us (at the moment :p ) sack their manager and come knocking on Knight's door?

We all seem to think he's here for a while but he's a good manager and we seem to get shat on every season at some stage.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This is something I have quietly worried about. Lets face it, he hardly has a great track record of being loyal does he? Im not even sure that if we get Falmer he will stay because clubs he has left before all had nice grounds.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I think the key to this is whether we get the big YES to Falmer. If we do I think we would keep McGhee no matter who knocks on Knight's door - unless Man Utd or another huge club (highly unlikeley).
I am sure we would have kept Micky A, Taylor and Coppell if we had Falmer assured.
Then there's always Chris Cattlin!!!!

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
What a horrible thought! Can't say for sure what I think he'd do but I do believe he is a more loyal manager than our last two. With Falmer and promotion still very uncertain he would obviously be tempted to go. I guess a lot would depend on which club came in for him. Having said that I don't think anyone's going to be after him in the near future.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Take the compensation and look again.

That is exactly what I didn't want to hear :angry: :angry: :censored:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
While I think even Knight will have said to McGee: "Look, we were shat on by the last bloke and I'm not going to let you do the same" I don't think he'll be the manager when we play first at Falmer.

The worst possible scenario would be fore us to go up and lose McGee before the start of next season, though I don't think that'll happen. If we do, we will get relegated. If we don't, we stand a chance... in a Rotherham/Crewe kinda way.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
He won't leave. He's already got a reputation for walking out on clubs, and to worsen that would be a huge gamble knowing he wouldn't be guaranteed success at the larger club. I don't think he'll go anywhere before his contract runs out.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Unlce Buck is just being a realist.I agree. At the moment we are not in a position to compete with bigger clubs and MaGhee would surely be tempted by any establishe Div 1 Club. We would have to muddle on and make the best of things.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Richie Morris said:
This is something I have quietly worried about. Lets face it, he hardly has a great track record of being loyal does he? Im not even sure that if we get Falmer he will stay because clubs he has left before all had nice grounds.

Brighton 28-10-2003 Present 27 12 9 6
Millwall 25-09-2000 15-10-2003 163 75 49 39
Wolves 13-12-1995 05-11-1998 159 65 55 39
Leicester 14-12-1994 07-12-1995 51 16 21 14
Reading 10-05-1991 14-12-1994 183 79 53 51

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think one very important point here that is being overlooked is that on the personal front, McGhee is happily settled in Brighton. He has a decent job, loves the city, and you can sometimes find him out to play on Saturday nights. He bought a flat in Brighton pretty soon after getting the job here having moved from Reading. That says to me that's someone who wants to be here.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
When he was at Millwall McGhee said something about learning his lesson regarding loyalty. I don't think he would jump at the first opportunity

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm afraid that until we are in our new stadium ( and when 's that going to be? ) we will always be vulnerable to having our managers poached. However annoying this is, at least it means we've been sucessful.

If McGhee goes, it'll be next season after we've promoted and have made a good start in Div One. I'd settle for that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
I think one very important point here that is being overlooked is that on the personal front, McGhee is happily settled in Brighton. He has a decent job, loves the city, and you can sometimes find him out to play on Saturday nights. He bought a flat in Brighton pretty soon after getting the job here having moved from Reading. That says to me that's someone who wants to be here.

That makes good reading Large One , hope you're right

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
chips and gravy said:
When he was at Millwall McGhee said something about learning his lesson regarding loyalty. I don't think he would jump at the first opportunity

If we get the Falmer decision that we all want I don't think he'll leave of his own accord.

We are a reasonably big club waiting to happen. Not as big as we sometimes think we are but big enough for him to want to stay.

I genuinely believe that he wants to rid himself of this unfair image and staying with us is the perfect opportunity for him to do just that. If we get Falmer and Mark McGhee gets us promoted and stablised in Division 1-no problem if he wants to move on after a f ew years. There'll be shitloads wanting the Brighton job because there's shitloads wanting it even now.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Seems to me, with the exception of Leicester, he's put oin about 150 games with the clubs.... gives us some comfort. And the fact he was bery candid when he signed his 2 year deal ("I'm here for 2 years and we'll see what happens then" type approach.)

Jason Speaks

Feb 4, 2004
Portslade
I'm pretty sure he said at the time he signed that as far as he was concerned he would be here for the remainder of his contract ( up until end of 2004/05).

If he is to be believed (which I do) then it will be DK's call on whether he sees out his contract.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The get out clause in his contract should say, he's only aloud to talk to clubs in the Prem. irrespective of what league we're in at the time. If a manager gets an opportunity to work at the highset level then no one should stand in his way. If it's a small step up then bugger off!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With respect, can you honestly see a 1st Division club coming after McGhee?

If you were a fan of say Norwich, would you be impressed if they announced he was their preferred candidate?

I think he's doing a good job for us, but I really can't see other clubs queuing up to pinch him. He's already been sacked by Millwall and Wolves, and quit Reading and Leicester, so that rules out a few of next season's Div 1 clubs...there are plenty of the young, up and coming guvnors (fashionable at the moment) who will get asked out by big clubs before McGhee. Leroy Rosenior, Neale Cooper, even perhaps Danny Wilson and Sean O'Driscoll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here