Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dons supporters call for MK to change name

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You'd think they'd just be happy to be back in the League, maybe they should expend a bit more energy sorting out a ground that will enable them to play at a higher level rather than whinging about the fait accompli that is MK Dons. You'd think they may have learnt a lesson along the way, but maybe not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You'd think they'd just be happy to be back in the League, maybe they should expend a bit more energy sorting out a ground that will enable them to play at a higher level rather than whinging about the fait accompli that is MK Dons. You'd think they may have learnt a lesson along the way, but maybe not.

Like we've just blithely forgiven and forgotten about the people who tried to murder our club you mean ?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Like we've just blithely forgiven and forgotten about the people who tried to murder our club you mean ?

How hard did they actually fight? Didn't they actually form a new club before the move even took place?

Last edited:

How hard did they actually fight? Didn't they actually form a new club before the move even took place?

You evidently know shit about the topic so how about you stfu on it.

You evidently have no idea of the current situation regarding a return to Merton and you evidently have no idea on the campaign to prevent the move in the first place.

Crawl away old chap.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Milton Keynes FC sounds way better anyway. Don't understand why they didn't just go with that in the first place.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

You evidently have no idea of the current situation regarding a return to Merton and you evidently have no idea on the campaign to prevent the move in the first place.

Crawl away old chap.

Enlighten me, preferably without being quite so patronising.

They didn't form a new club before the old one moved? I thought they did, and what chance have they got of getting a new ground in Merton?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Crawl away old chap.

Have to say it is all getting a bit boring. Time to move on. Wimbledon would have died without trace had they carried on as tenants at Palace as the business model was surely unsustainable for a league club. It wasn't the ideal solution but at the time it was probably the only option. Merton didn't want to help so where else were they to go. Wherever they ended up it wasn't going to be in their home borough.

Moving on, as far as I am aware, the rules have changed so it remains a blip that won't happen again. Unfortunately, there are those that like to keep it going. As far as I am concerned, it is an issue between Wimbledon and Mk Dons which they can settle if or when they ever meet on a football pitch. Let them get on with it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've said this for a long time that people might not find them quite so objectionable if they dropped the whole Dons thing, which for me smacks of them desperately trying to cling on to some kind of fabricated heritage.

There's nothing that can be done about their Noddy club now, well apart from laughing that they failed in the play offs again, but I would certainly prefer if they just admitted what they are and moved on. Then perhaps other people can. I believe the ChildCatcher long ago registered the name Milton Keynes City FC as a trademark, following the demise of the original club.

While we're on the subject, I just read something about MK that I've never heard before. OK, it's on Wikipedia, so I'm not sure quite how accurate it is, but it is referenced to several BBC links. It suggests that the idea of moving WFC to Milton Keynes was first mooted as early as 1979 :ohmy:, when the then Wimbledon chairman got in touch with the MK Development Corporation and also picked up the original non league club Milton Keynes City FC on the cheap. The cunning plan was....guess what...to merge Wimbledon and MK City, and- of course- play in Milton Keynes. Eventually the idea fell apart, perhaps partly due to the contrasting fortunes of the two clubs (WFC on the up, MK definitely on the slide, both on and off the field).

The Wimbledon chairman at that time? Ron Noades.

The 'point' that's worth arguing imho, is not that MK stole Wimbledon - but that they got a club in the football league without getting normal earned promotions through the Conference like every other team (inc Wimbledon subsequently) have to do.

ANY reason behind them getting an instant league club in their plastic town was a bad one

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None I wouldnt think. A slight worry must be as to whether the old Kingstonians ground that they now use will get a league grading and will they be able to ground share KingsMeadow..

They'd have been told months ago if it didn't meet League criteria, these things have to be cleared by about November to ensure it's fair for all the teams.

Even the FL aren't incompetent enough to tell a team in May that their promotion doesn't count on stadium grounds.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They are now playing at a ground that was originally going to be for the original Dons before MK came in. Sam the Man also approached Guildford about putting a ground in the middle of The Spectrum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here