Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Donald 'Duck' Dunn has died

Nov 14, 2011
Hassocks
As someone rightfully pointed out in the BBC comments, he didn't play or contribute to "Green Onions", but joined the group in 1964 tp replace Louis Steinberg. But that small point alone does not diminish the many 64-75 Stax redcordings he did play on as a member of the MG's, from Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett, Rufus & Carla Thomas, Sam & Dave, William Bell,Johnnie Taylor, Albert King, Little Milton and many, many more all relied on his driving Bass playing. Soul music has lost one of it's founding engine room members. A sad day for Southern Soul.

After my (still under construction) time machine has whizzed me back to 1974 to see the original Dr Feelgood line up play live it is off to Memphis mid '60's to witness from a safe distance the wondrous output from Stax being created by the MG's. An era when dues were paid by being able to play live before even thinking of committing to vinyl, probably wouldn't even get past the auditions for X factor if they were around today.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
After my (still under construction) time machine has whizzed me back to 1974 to see the original Dr Feelgood line up play live it is off to Memphis mid '60's to witness from a safe distance the wondrous output from Stax being created by the MG's. An era when dues were paid by being able to play live before even thinking of committing to vinyl, probably wouldn't even get past the auditions for X factor if they were around today.

Can I come with you?

On another thread not too long ago I proposed Time is Tight as the best instrumental ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here