Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doesn't look too promising.....

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
From the Argus today -

Basically, it's Coppell confirming what we all feared. Zamora went on the cheap coz we had no choice due to the cost of trying to get Falmer which is 'killiing the club'. Also, no (or very little) money for new players and not much luck in finding a replacement striker. Let's hope this Italian lad looks the business against Woking.

Coppell: 'Zamora went on the Cheap'

Steve Coppell has admitted Tottenham got Bobby Zamora 'on the cheap'.

However, Albion's boss insists financial restraints gave the club little option but to accept the £1.5m offer for the striker who scored twice on his Spurs debut at Oxford on Sunday.

Coppell said: "Glenn Hoddle (Spurs manager) has been quoted as saying that his club stole Bobby, that they got him on the cheap. That's right, due to circumstances we couldn't do anything about. In a different environment we'd have got more.

"What's killing us, and killing is the right word, is the public inquiry into the Falmer Stadium project, which is just a drain. It's costing millions. It's a big black hole.

"Bobby was going to go because we were desperate for the money to help with the inquiry. When you look at QCs who earn more on an hourly basis than footballers you can see what it is costing. We are in the midst of a struggle which will determine the prosperity of the club, but paying the price.

"Everything is compromised because we haven't got a stadium. As soon as we've got a stadium the club has a future."

Coppell denies the cash restraints have hit players' wages but admitted: "We are a club who can't gamble. We can't go above our income and expenditure. It is a difficult situation and I hope supporters can appreciate it.

"There is a wonderful resistance at Brighton and because we do spend within our means we can survive. Dick (Knight, the chairman) is very honest and genuine but successfully sustaining a team is difficult, although I'm not saying it won't happen."

Coppell will not get anything to spend from the fee for Zamora.

"I knew that right from when the chairman said to me the budget is 'this'. If I juggle things maybe I can divert the budget in terms of wages to pay a small fee for someone. But mathematics don't add up to a substantial one.

Coppell has made an enquiry about Peterborough striker Leon McKenzie.

He said: "My job is to see what players we can afford. There's talk of us offering £500,000 for Leon, a player I had at Crystal Palace. I'd love to sign him but we haven't got £500,000.

"I'd certainly like one striker of real substance, someone I know will get 15 to 20 goals a season, but you can't replace Zamora with one player. He was directly and indirectly responsible for 40 goals a season.

"I've spent an awful lot of time on the telephone trying to get players but not getting too far."

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
oh bugger :nono:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Looks like the likes of Chris McPhee and Daney Marney are gonna get more than just a chance to impress.

Well thats put me in a bad mood for a tuesday morning.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
I TOLD YOU SO!:nono:

So why can't Dick Tight tell the fans this straight!

The fact is that in these hard times, we need a Chairmen with money, who can pay for the new ground, be it Falmer or somewhere else.

And before we get all the " nobody would be so daft" posts, i understand that there is such a person, and this person is a close friend of Albion legend Steve Foster. However, Dick Tight refuses to step aside, even though he cannot provide the club with the funds it needs.

As we all know, even IF Falmer's public enquiry gives the go-ahead, the ground will not be ready for some years! So what is to happen? Are we destined to slowly sink back to where we started, between now and when/if Falmer is built?:angry:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
With the exception of Mark Lawrenson we've ALWAYS let players go on the cheap, usually due to our circumstances. Everybody knows about Dean Saunders going to Oxford for £60,000, but don't forget we were also forced into the sales of Mike Small and Johnny Byrne (to West Ham and Sunderland respectively) because the bank told us to accept whatever we were offered.

SC is absolutely right in his analysis. Not that that will please the 'BZ money must be spent on the team' lobby on here. There was no money. There is no money. There never will be any money. The only team to get any funding is the legal team - and given our circumstances that is exactly how it should be.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The wages budget was good enough to bring in the likes of Ingimarsson, Rougier & Sidwell last season.

Of course we want our own established players and we have got Ben Roberst who conceded 1 goal in 270 mins.

Would we have won the 2nd division without loan players?

We'll be ok

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers said:
I TOLD YOU SO!:nono:

So why can't Dick Tight tell the fans this straight!

The fact is that in these hard times, we need a Chairmen with money, who can pay for the new ground, be it Falmer or somewhere else.

And before we get all the " nobody would be so daft" posts, i understand that there is such a person, and this person is a close friend of Albion legend Steve Foster. However, Dick Tight refuses to step aside, even though he cannot provide the club with the funds it needs.

As we all know, even IF Falmer's public enquiry gives the go-ahead, the ground will not be ready for some years! So what is to happen? Are we destined to slowly sink back to where we started, between now and when/if Falmer is built?:angry:

My view is that when the Falmer stadium gets the go ahead it will be built in two years at the most, Perry aint on the board for nothing and the money will be released sooner.

To be fair in 1997 if i was told that in 8/9 years we would be kicking off the new season in a brand spanking new stadium in Brighton i would have been pretty pleased.

We all knew the Enquiry was take a lot of money away from players and it still is but WE NEED FALMER, WE DO NOT NEED A BIT OF SUCCESS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS, however nice it has been.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
The wages budget was good enough to bring in the likes of Ingimarsson, Rougier & Sidwell last season.

Of course we want our own established players and we have got Ben Roberst who conceded 1 goal in 270 mins.

Would we have won the 2nd division without loan players?

We'll be ok

I am not sure you can compare last season's increased budget (Coppell was given some extra money, but not enough!) with this years.

I don't think anyone would say that we don't want any loan players. However, to build for the future (and finance it by sales at this rate!), we need our own players as well. Where would we be now if Dick Tight did not have the money from Bobby's sale?:eek:

Yes, it is great to see Ben Roberts join us. However, we also need some strikers! Our youngsters are not up to the job. They even struggle against non-league teams!:nono:

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
My view is that when the Falmer stadium gets the go ahead it will be built in two years at the most, Perry aint on the board for nothing and the money will be released sooner.

To be fair in 1997 if i was told that in 8/9 years we would be kicking off the new season in a brand spanking new stadium in Brighton i would have been pretty pleased.

We all knew the Enquiry was take a lot of money away from players and it still is but WE NEED FALMER, WE DO NOT NEED A BIT OF SUCCESS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS, however nice it has been.

This sounds like a case for Lord B! My understanding is that we are talking more than 2 years. I agree that it could be done in that time, but i understand that the main works would not even start for 18 months because of the need to get the money finalised, sort out Brighton Uni and their new buildings, etc. etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
However frustrating it is for us it must be much more so for Coppell. He accepts that he will have to work with big constraints
on his ability to bring in the right players why can't some fans also accept it.

Our situation is such that we should stop expecting rabbits to be pulled out of the hat. We are stuffed, financially, until Falmer is built. End of story.

Disappointed as I was to see BZ go I would have felt much
worse if we had kept BZ and lost SC. We have the right man for the job and that is a big positive for the coming season

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The question is will he be here after this season is finished, then we're without BZ and SC and probably in even worse a state.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If Steve Fosters 'mate' was a genuine fan, he would put his money in now. Having seen this guy on TV with the amateurish was he ran his health club I would not want him in charge of something so precious to me as the Albion.

He is on a par with the cretin that was chairman of Luton earlier this year

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Oh dear oh dear... :nono:

Not one penny for players? We really must have needed to balance the books badly, i'm quite worried by all this...

On the plus side we have a super manager but please dont get on his back if things go wrong, its not his fault if hasn't got or had the finances to get the tools for the job.

:(

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
El Presidente said:
If Steve Fosters 'mate' was a genuine fan, he would put his money in now. Having seen this guy on TV with the amateurish was he ran his health club I would not want him in charge of something so precious to me as the Albion.

He is on a par with the cretin that was chairman of Luton earlier this year

Now come on El Spic! You and I both know that anyone putting serious money into the club will want control. I would not trust Dick Tight with my money, I am getting concerned about my season ticket money!:eek:

I cannot comment on his health club or anything else. However, if he has made the money we need he cannot have done too bad a job. As we all know, a large slice of Dick Tight's groups' money has come from the guy who owns the Friday Ad. I understand that that makes most of it's money from the sex industry!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bill Archers got a lot of money, he can't have done too badly! Maybe we would ask him if he would like a controlling share?

Oh yeah, just remembered, he's that guy who butchered the club, sold the ground and forced us into a move to Gillingham. Silly me.

Money is not everything i suppose.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Bill Archers got a lot of money, he can't have done too badly! Maybe we would ask him if he would like a controlling share?

Oh yeah, just remembered, he's that guy who butchered the club, sold the ground and forced us into a move to Gillingham. Silly me.

I thought he gave the club £700k the other month. Who had that? Did it go to provide a block of shares controlled by the fans, or did Dick Tight et al grab it????

Just because Archer was not the right guy and he had money, it does not follow that Dick Tight is the right guy 'cos he is potless! I think we should be told a lot more about Steve Foster's mate. Steve Foster is a legend at the club, and if he feels the guy is genuine, he should get a change to put his case.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My point was merely that money is not everything and that I would prefer a chairman who sincerely is trying to do what is best for the clubs future to one that has absolutely no idea bout what is going on at the club presently.

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham

:clap: Well said Chappers. We have a Chairman who genuinely cares about our football club, ok so he's not the richest guy in the World. But he's never put us into financial trouble like so many other Nationwide chairman, he doesn't over-spend and leave us in debt. He is a very good businessman, and as long as Dick Knight is in charge of Brighton & Hove Albion i know he'll put 100% into the club. It is frustrating that we don't have any or much money to spend... but realistically who does anymore? We're in a far better situaton than many other clubs, such as Oldham and Luton at the moment.

DK is already investing heavily into the funding of OUR new football stadium, the stadium that we will build our future on. Falmer is important for the next 100 years of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club. Players are only for the next couple.

I know given the choice in 2/3 years i'd rather be at Falmer, and in Division 2, maybe 3 rather than be in Division 1 and spend another decade without a home. As SC says, we have no future without Falmer.

DK = Albion Legend and the best Chairman we could have.

How easily some people forget. Only years after finally getting rid of a rich, **** of a chairman you're calling for another one?
:nono:

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton
A positive spin on todays press release....

OK its obvious Stevie isn't going to get the whole of the money raised from Bobbys sale to spend on squad strengthening, but I reckon him saying we are skint may put us in a better bargaining position with the likes of Barry Fry over posible transfers this summer. If every club thought we had money to spend then suddenly transfer fees get mentioned every time we are are linked to a player at another club, and agents will demand higher wages. If Mckenzie wanted to leave, and Posh are in the shite financially, then they may have to accept a realistic bid of say 50K if thats all thats on the table. I just think Coppell is a shewd dealer in the transfer market, and the situation may not be as bad as we think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here