Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does having a transfer window help or hinder league clubs?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This isn't so much a debate about our club or investment, but just assuming:

a hypothetical club - lets call it - Righton and Cove Albion had 150k to spend up to end of the last transfer window but the then manager (who we shall call Mick Mackie) for whatever reason (be it him, the board, not suitable players etc.) didn't spend it.

The transfer window closes and therefore no signings can be made (except olduns and young uns). The manager is sacked (unfairly say some) The crowds drop over the next 4 months to the point that any money (assuming it existed) has been eaten up (at 1000 supporters a game for 12 games at £20 each this would be £240k which is more than the £150k)

When the window reopens, the money is no longer there as it is now used to cover the day to day losses plus a windfall of cash from a cup run is being used to make up this shortfall and pay more legal costs to secure a new stadium.

Is it right that the club in question was not able to make changes outside of that window that would have stopped the loss of crowds?

Simply put - is the transfer window a good or bad thing?

Discuss.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is a difficult one. In some ways it will help the smaller clubs with limited budgets as a rich competitor will only have a limited time to make their transfers. If Nottingham Forest were struggling to make the final automatic spot with ten games to go, with the window slammed shut they are not entitled to splash the cash, with the hope of depriving another team of the final spot. So in that sense, it could bridge the disparity in budgets.

However, I feel that the transfer window has driven transfer fees up once more. Various clubs or managers will panic buy, forcing the market prices up and smaller teams suffer a knock on effect.

There are less likely to be high quality/long term loans available as teams will be wary of keeping enough back up readily available.

Sod it. I’m on the fence.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Barrel of Fun said:
It is a difficult one. In some ways it will help the smaller clubs with limited budgets as a rich competitor will only have a limited time to make their transfers. If Nottingham Forest were struggling to make the final automatic spot with ten games to go, with the window slammed shut they are not entitled to splash the cash, with the hope of depriving another team of the final spot. So in that sense, it could bridge the disparity in budgets.

However, I feel that the transfer window has driven transfer fees up once more. Various clubs or managers will panic buy, forcing the market prices up and smaller teams suffer a knock on effect.

There are less likely to be high quality/long term loans available as teams will be wary of keeping enough back up readily available.

Sod it. I’m on the fence.

I think what the window as done is move every non premiership club, one step back in the market, it's like shopping for last season's clothes. Big clubs always sign on deadline day and are prepared to carry passengers until the next window.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Very true, ROSM. I also think that now there is a tendency for smaller clubs to rely too heavily on the loan market as it is harder to sign players. Money down the drain, as opposed to investing in players.

Ps Thanks Bry. :cool:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I think it should be a "downwards-only" window. So Prem clubs only have a limited chance to nick the talent of lower-league sides, but we can still sign a bloke from Barnsley reserves who isn't getting into the first team if we're suddenly hit by injury.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ROSM said:

When the window reopens, the money is no longer there as it is now used to cover the day to day losses plus a windfall of cash from a cup run is being used to make up this shortfall and pay more legal costs to secure a new stadium.
Wot jew meen v munny is no longer vere. You fick or summat? It woz vere so 'ow cum it isn't anymore? WE MUST SPEND MUNNY ON PLAYERS! Uvverwise we will be rgel .. regl.... rlgel..... go down.

I am sick of all veese excuses about Wivdean costin us munny. Wot about the West Ham munny? We must spend it on players! We must do sumfink! Don't keep givvin us all viss bollocks about 'loosin munny' Get yer checkbook out Dick Tight uvverwise we're in the shit!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
ROSM said:

a hypothetical club - lets call it - Righton and Cove Albion

I bet they wouldnt have messed up West Ham tickets :angry: :angry: :angry:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Re: Re: Does having a transfer window help or hinder league clubs?

Brovian said:
Wot jew meen v munny is no longer vere. You fick or summat? It woz vere so 'ow cum it isn't anymore? WE MUST SPEND MUNNY ON PLAYERS! Uvverwise we will be rgel .. regl.... rlgel..... go down.

I am sick of all veese excuses about Wivdean costin us munny. Wot about the West Ham munny? We must spend it on players! We must do sumfink! Don't keep givvin us all viss bollocks about 'loosin munny' Get yer checkbook out Dick Tight uvverwise we're in the shit!

Sorry?

However, it does make business sense to spend reasnobly to stay up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here