Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Euro 2004 Mark The End Of The Advertising Gravy Train For Now?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe one good thing to come out of the early exit of England & France from Euro 2004 will be the end of over-using Beckham / Henry / ManU / Real Madrid to sell stuff. The adverts have been getting progressively lazy and dull. So Henry can run a mazy dribble round a blatantly inert couch. Well woopee-fookin-do, must rush straight out and buy a Renault. And Beckham as a gladiator. Yeah, OK then, after his latest set of showings, nice to see him thrown to the lions a.k.a the British tabloid press. What a loser - advertising Pepsi when eight out of ten Premiership players who expressed a preference prefer coke. Allegedly, like.

Mind you, the new wave of soccer heros as advertising icons is no doubt being planned even as we speak. Wayne Rooney as the new face of The Potato Marketing Board anyone?

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
MrV said:
personally, i love football themed adverts

So do I - the recent one where the referee tackled Ronaldinho was superb.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It must be said that the players that we keep seeing in adverts (Beckham, Henry, Figo etc) have been pants this tournament. The exceptions are Lampard, who must have delighted Sainsbury's, and old horseface.

The players who have really turned it on the past couple of weeks (Nedved, Baros, Heinz, Rooney, Seedorf, Larsson, Ibrahimovic and nearly all the Greeks) have not appeared in any of the ads - or I've missed them if they have.

There must be a moral there somewhere.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I find the Macdonalds advert pretty amusing at the moment (probably because I relate to thinking in football chants in real life situations)

Oh it's all gone quiet over there.......

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I sometimes wonder if the top stars really, in their heart of hearts actualy give a flying toss about the national game. They earn anywhere betwen £40-£100000 a week, plus sponsership deals, plus this and plus that. They are treated by the youth of today (by youth i mean 7 - 16 y/o) like they are gods. I am even convinced that if it was possible to have transfers in international football they would not think twice of going to play for the country that offered them most. I still remember seeing Gazza crying when he picked up that yellow card in the world cup. Not because it whould mean a fine, but because he knew it meant that he would miss the final, and not be able to represent his country, the one thing he loved doing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Urs Meier - You should have gone to specsavers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here